WVDolphan's "Get Real" Today's subject "Lets do what we do" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WVDolphan's "Get Real" Today's subject "Lets do what we do"

The reason we're not running the ball isn't because the coaches don't want to, it's because the team simply can't. Add running back to the list of holes that are going to have to be filled next year. I think Ricky should be more than welcome to stay and keep plugging away (he's still doing a decent job despite his declining talent). Ronnie is going to decline his way right off the roster.

We've got to run the ball out of 3 WR sets more. This "bunch everybody in the middle" b.s. hasn't worked all season. Do I think we can line up 1 WR/2WR and pound it down their throats? No....but I do think we can run on a nickel package and if they dont keep the nickel in Bess will tear them up. Do I expect Henning and Sparano to actually make an adjustment and run more 3 WR sets? Sadly, no.

I can't agree more with WV on the point that our running game is the biggest concern for our offense. I hope this is the week that the O-Line finally gels with Jerry back in there and I hope that Ronnie will finally look like his pre-foot injury self. He needs to stop looking for ways to avoid contact and just run over people like he used to!

The opponent dictates the approach.

If you're facing the Bucs, yeah, you rush the hell out of them. They're pathetic against the run, but pretty good against the pass; you should run, a lot. Now... if you're facing, say, Green Bay? Pass, pass a lot. They're good against the run, but suck against the pass. Further, you focus on the TE, since it's their weaker position.

The basic mantra should be much like Belichick says: take away what they do best. Even if you have the very best rushing attack in the league (we don't), you don't just run into a wall. You study the matchup, and let it dictate where you go. I'm not talking about being one-dimensional; but rather, pick apart a team where they're weakest.

So, against Baltimore? I say hit them hard with Bess. Run, but only when you see favorable formations. Don't be stupid and run into that 1st and 10 wall, when they're just licking their chops to stop any running play cold. Run when they're in nickel; run when they're tired.

You can "establish our identity" all you want, but I prefer wins.

Back
Top Bottom