Your "too early" 53 prediction? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Your "too early" 53 prediction?

Travis34

chea
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
After one preseason game what do you think? Tannehill, McMillan, and Larsen are headed for IR. So exclude them, there were a few fringe moves I wasn't sure which way to go... Aikens as a 7th cb but really is more for special teams, plus McDonald won't count for half of the season 5 wr, but I could see us keeping 6- Drew Morgan is probably the next most likely to stick imo, and I think Grant makes the team. I liked what we saw from Eric Smith (the RT last night) and we should stick him on the team and not the practice squad. Decided to roll with 3 qbs, because you know at some point one of Cutler/Moore is going down, and Fales looked better than Doughty imo. LB is a mess without McMillan... I bet Kiko is the mike with Hewitt at will. Reilly seemed decent for what he is last night, and I think all of those back up guys could play special teams. Thoughts?

QB- Cutler, Moore, Fales
RB- Ajayi, Drake, Williams
WR- Parker, Landry, Stills, Carroo, Grant
TE- Thomas, Fasano, Gray
OL- Tunsil, James, Bushrod, Pouncey, Urbik, Steen, Asiata, Young, Smith
DE- Wake, Branch, Harris, Hayes, Fede
DT- Suh, Phillips, Godchaux, Taylor
LB- Alonso, Timmons, Hewitt, Hull, Lacey, Allen, Reilly
CB- Maxwell, Howard, Lippett, McCain, Tankersley, Verner, Aikens
S- Jones, Allen, McDonald, Thomas,
K- Franks
P- Darr
LS- Denney

PS- (not sure of eligibility, but the ones I'd keep)- Doughty, Owusu, Smith (rb), Lucas, Hendy, Pitts, Duarte, Ford, Morgan, Praise Martin-Oguike)

I wouldn't keep Fales or Doughty on the 53-man roster. Maybe go with one of the qb's on the practice squad and someone at another position to the 53 man roster. Maybe Stringfellow as a 6th receiver.

I wouldn't keep Fales or Doughty on the 53-man roster. Maybe go with one of the qb's on the practice squad and someone at another position to the 53 man roster. Maybe Stringfellow as a 6th receiver.

Normally I wouldn't either, but I think it might be valuable to keep a guy around who has been around Gase's system for awhile (was on the bears). I doubt we keep either honestly which opens a roster spot somewhere else

Mcdonald going to suspended list so you can add another guy and I'd imagine the 3rd QB would be a PS candidate. So that gives you 2 open spots.

I do like your current list . . . I could see us having 6 WRs (maybe Stringfellow as an inactive gameday player but keeps him from getting poached) and maybe a 4th RB who can do returns (probably Storm Johnson).

Normally I wouldn't either, but I think it might be valuable to keep a guy around who has been around Gase's system for awhile (was on the bears). I doubt we keep either honestly which opens a roster spot somewhere else

I think you could keep Fales on the practice squad without any real fear of another team poaching him. If you have and injury to Moore or Cutler you could always add him to the 53 man roster later.

As to Kdwag's post - Storm Johnson looked faster than I remembered. For a 6' 228 pound back I think he moves well. I would like to see what he could do with decent blocking while facing a starting defense. He and Stringfellow were players I would like to get a better look at. I want to know does Stringfellow really have that good of a second gear or was the safety really slow.

Last edited:
I think Steen's spot could be in jeapordy.

If Miami brings in some veteran guard prospects to replace Larsen than I agree it could put Steen on in jeopardy. Plus Brendel has played well at center and could eclipse Steen on the depth chart too.

I also wouldn't pen in Asiata.

Teams weren't kicking down the door for him during the draft and I highly doubt a team is going to want to put him on a 53 man roster when Miami has LG troubles and he can't even potentially be a backup at the position.

Teams weren't kicking down the door for him during the draft and I highly doubt a team is going to want to put him on a 53 man roster when Miami has LG troubles and he can't even potentially be a backup at the position.
Asaita is safe. Looks like a good LG here

Last edited:
Asiata is making this team, you can put that in ink. He actually had a strong showing last night. I think as of right now, you're gonna see him play strong in these pre season games even if the practice reports aren't so stellar. I still think he ends up taking a starting Guard spot before the season is over.

Teams weren't kicking down the door for him during the draft

Not really relevant. Asiata can start for Miami, he's a good player.

Teams were kicking the door down to overdraft kids like Josh Dobbs. Who won't stop throwing the football to the other team. Which was his problem for the Vols.

Not really relevant. Asiata can start for Miami, he's a good player.

Teams were kicking the door down to overdraft kids like Josh Dobbs. Who won't stop throwing the football to the other team. Which was his problem for the Vols.

Completely agree on both players. The team liked Asiata enough to draft him even though he isn't experience in our kind of blocking scheme. Worst case scenario is he gets a redshirt year.

And Dobbs, well, he seems like a really phenomenal young man, but I don't think he has any future as a pro quarterback. When I can't tell if his interceptions are due to bad decisions or even worse accuracy, that is a bad sign.

I'd definitely keep chase Allen and mctyer

Back
Top Bottom