You're the new Fins Head Coach: Now tell me how you'd.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

You're the new Fins Head Coach: Now tell me how you'd....

enigmatics

Go get me a juice box!
Reaction score
You've been hired as the Miami Dolphins new head coach. Now please enlighten us how you'd "get the most out of your players."

Since this has been one of the knocks on Wanny conviently thrown around in here, I want to hear what it is that solves that problem. Since it's such a simple fix let's hear it.

enigmatics said:
You've been hired as the Miami Dolphins new head coach. Now please enlighten us how you'd "get the most out of your players."

Since this has been one of the knocks on Wanny conviently thrown around in here, I want to hear what it is that solves that problem. Since it's such a simple fix let's hear it.

Well, considering that Wanny is 41-23 that puts him .03 below par for the entire history of the team. How does one deal with such ineptness? I'd be forced to scrap the "Cap" and implement "plug and play."

What? Just hired? Now that it is too late to dump Jay Fielder? Thanks for nothing.

Well, getting the most out of my players would involve them earning their starting positions. No way I'd be giving Fielder another year, not after he has failed to improve after four years. No way I'd be giving Thompson another shot either.

Keeping average players or worse sends a dangerous message. Just trying and having "heart" is simply not good enough. You'd better have some talent to back it up. Getting rid of Jay would have sent a message to everyone that just about no job was safe (Ricky -you stay) and drastic changes will be taken if needed to get this team deep into the playoffs. There will be no more of this "we'll try harder next year" crap from Wanny.

Too much mental pressure on the team that way? Hey, welcome to the NFL guys. Late season critical games are going to be filled with pressure, I need you guys to fight through it, not fold.

That said, never be afraid to commend the guys for a great practice, outstanding plays, etc.

Just hired?

OK. Lets make one thing clear right from the start. There will be no more Lobster Traps in the locker room. Next, I have been given free reign to do whatever I want to with personell now that Fredo is gone.

Jay Fiedler would be cut officially at noon tommorrow. Sage an AJ will compete in a TRUE qb competition in training camp for the starting spot. I dont care who you are or where you were drafted. The Dolphins were here before you and me and will be here long after. Either give full effort in practice as well as the games or you dont get the honor of being a Dolphin. Your agent want us to trade you? Well son, after the rest of the league offers all of a cart and cheap mule you can forget it.
Your all grown men who make alot of cash for doing a job. Do it. If you have a problem, fix it. I dont see your daddy around here so fix it. If I see you smiling and joking when the team is losing, then you sit next week and are fined the maximum allowed. The player that I feel gives the most effort every Sunday for the entire year will be given the role of team captain, not the player who is the most popular in the locker room. First year players absolutely can earn the starting spot over ANY vetran. The best guys will play on Sunday. Period. If you prove to me that you are the best player at your position, I will do everything I can to get you paid what you think you are worth. Hows that for starters.

Well, I would send Foerester packing and promote Trestman to OC. That's it! That's all I would do for this team this year since we missed the boat on the QB upgrades that were available. Trestman's style is exactly what the Dolphins need, an offense based on short safe passes that have a high completion %. Obviously I wouldn't want to stray away from pounding the ball with Ricky;) . I think all this throw deep crap we tried implementing last year was a big waste of time. We rarely connected on those plays and we still have the same QB play as last year. I think we have much more talent on offense than the Raiders of two years ago and they were the best offense in the league under Trestman, if I remember correctly. I may be dreaming but I think Trestman could do wonders for our offense.

The only other thing I would take a long hard look at is replacing Bates. Even though are defense is always tops in the league, the guy just doesn't change the gameplan at ALL. Our defense looks the same in December as it did in September. There is never any strategizing towards the weakness of our present opponent, it's more of a you know what were bringing can you beat us at it.:(

jaketaylor said:
Just hired?

OK. Lets make one thing clear right from the start. There will be no more Lobster Traps in the locker room. Next, I have been given free reign to do whatever I want to with personell now that Fredo is gone.

Jay Fiedler would be cut officially at noon tommorrow. Sage an AJ will compete in a TRUE qb competition in training camp for the starting spot. I dont care who you are or where you were drafted. The Dolphins were here before you and me and will be here long after. Either give full effort in practice as well as the games or you dont get the honor of being a Dolphin. Your agent want us to trade you? Well son, after the rest of the league offers all of a cart and cheap mule you can forget it.
Your all grown men who make alot of cash for doing a job. Do it. If you have a problem, fix it. I dont see your daddy around here so fix it. If I see you smiling and joking when the team is losing, then you sit next week and are fined the maximum allowed. The player that I feel gives the most effort every Sunday for the entire year will be given the role of team captain, not the player who is the most popular in the locker room. First year players absolutely can earn the starting spot over ANY vetran. The best guys will play on Sunday. Period. If you prove to me that you are the best player at your position, I will do everything I can to get you paid what you think you are worth. Hows that for starters.

Now the question is, can you evaluate talent? :lol: Who is the best player, someone who plays hard in TC and mini camps..DT and look like crap on Sundays, and it's too late, you've cut all the rest of what might be talented players. Nope, it won't work, all you guys will be going on emotions and we'll sink faster than a cow.

This question is irrelevant..."IF" I was a coach that is desirable for hire by a pro team...I would not take the Fins job this late in the offseason. I would just wait till next year to get hired by another pro or college team and place my staff into place.

enigmatics said:

The only thing I think needs to be done is to hold players more accountable. If Tim Ruddy gets pushed around every play..give McKinney a shot to start the rest of the season. If Todd Perry can't hack it...give Jerman or Whitley a shot. If Derrius Thompson sucks (which he did)..give Tolver or Simmons more chances to play (not start necessarily). If Jamar Fletcher proves that he can't play after two years...cut him loose..no more chances...get him off of the field. Somehow we stick with these losers for too long. Forget the cap..this offseason proved that you can get rid of guys if you really want to.

As far as the penalties..I don't know what can be done. Bench a guy?..cut a guy? I guess Wannstedt doesn't put enough fear into the players to not make mental mistakes..I dunno.

Wannstedt has done all that he can do to "motivate" his team. These veterans should be able to get up for every game..unlike the Eagles, Titans and Texans games. Maybe the game plans weren't good enough, but somehow the players should be able to dig deep down to make a play to win a game. I blame the players just as much for those games.

well i definately would not dump jay fiedler since he is our only qb with any worthy experiance dumping jay would be the worst move we could make.

I take over now, or next season?

As of now, I wouldnt change much.

Offensively philosophy wise, I'd probabaly decrease the number of carries Ricky got in favor of Konrad and Minor. I'd like the Feeley/Fiedler competition play out. I'd let the current O-line competitions play out, but scout who is on the market. WR wise, no changes but to work on Chambers longterm deal.

Defensively, I'd throw in stunts and other pre-snap surprises. I think the Defense is too vanilla. The core of the defense will be the same, but unexpectedly switching things around is of course good.

One thing I'd do would be to give the team some snaps at the 3-4. I'd work it in gently, in practices, not in camp, and spring it on a team in an important game in the middle of the season. The current team has the personnel to run it more effectively then alot of teams trying to now. Chester and Ogunleye at DE, Bowens at NT. Taylor and Seau would be the OLB, Greenwood and Thomas ILB.

id yell at them and whack them along side of the head whenever they do something wrong... then maybe tell them how to correct it...

Coaching: Promote Trestman to OC since he did wonders in Oakland with less offensive talent than we have right now (except perhaps on O-Line).

Offense: 1) fewer carries for Ricky (don't worry, he'll still be #1 and a workhorse at that....I just don't belive in making Ricky's career shorter cause he gets 30 carries every game. Besides, no D expects Konrad and Minor is a nice change of pace.

2) Open up the passing game slightly (if a QB can prove he's capable of doing so....something that Fiedler has not yet proved). We have the weapons to form a solid passing attack I do believe (Chambers, Boston, McMicheal, Williams, Konrad, etc...)

Defense: 1) less plain-jane vanilla D, more unexpected blitzes and coverage schemes...ie: dropping Taylor into coverage and blitzing a LB, moving into 3-4 or 5-2, etc...

2) More rotation at the D-End spot (replacing O-Gun with Bowens more often)....admittedly, this is in retaliation for O-Guns selfish behavior

3) steady rotation at Safety with Edwards, Freeman and Bell each trying to prove who's most capable as a starter. Midway through the season, settle on a starter if one has out-performed the other 2

ThunderCane said:
This question is irrelevant..."IF" I was a coach that is desirable for hire by a pro team...I would not take the Fins job this late in the offseason. I would just wait till next year to get hired by another pro or college team and place my staff into place.

C'mon man, it was theoretical.........work with me here. Sheesssh

I would REALLY wonder why the heck the team wanted to hire me. That would be the icing on the cake of the offseason. I think at that point the Dolphins truely WOULD be the laughingstock of the NFL.

Face it, there is a reason DW is a head coach, and the rest of us rant on message boards.

That said, I like the idea above of cutting back on RW a bit. If he is used at that heavily for a third year in a row, I think we're asking for trouble.

Back
Top Bottom