You're the new Fins Head Coach: Now tell me how you'd.... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

You're the new Fins Head Coach: Now tell me how you'd....

Deus Ex Dolphin said:
Well, getting the most out of my players would involve them earning their starting positions. No way I'd be giving Fielder another year, not after he has failed to improve after four years. No way I'd be giving Thompson another shot either.

So you're all about making guys earn their starting positions. But in the very next sentence, you're handing a starting job to their replacements?? Am I misinterperating this?? :)

I see nothing wrong with letting Feeley and Fiedler compete. And I have no problem with Thompson fighting for a job. However I do have a problem with Fiedler being paid $3.7 million to compete for a starting job.

Ruddy is gone. Perry is gone. Todd Wade is gone. Nails is gone. There's competition at RG and RT. Lots of young guys behind them competing.

First order of business, this late in the offseason... I'd cram myself in the study room. Let the coordinators run the few practices left until training camp. In the meantime, I'd learn all I could about our players - you know, the usual horde of tapes, comments, etc. I'd talk to my coordinators, talent evaluators, scouts, and GM, about their oppinions on the "controversial" players (as in those I can't quite figure out myself) and go into training camp with all of that as my starting mold. Then in camp, well, you get a better picture.

Philosophy-wise, I'd first take a long, hard look at our OL. I've always believed that your OL quality dictates whatever you're going to do in the season. If they're good to great, my philosophy would be to diversify as much as possible. Pass, rush, play-fake... keep them guessing, and they will, because with a good OL, you actually have options. If they're average to good, try a run-heavy offense coupled with the ocassional, annoying dump-off. If they're below average, run, run, run... not all the time, nor with the same carrier, but run-extremely-heavy offense is probably the only way to go.

As far as motivation goes... that I wouldn't know how to justify. I'd just give my best. If it wasn't enough, well, try harder, hire someone to talk to them... I dunno.

How's that?

Forgot to mention... regardless of the case, I'd try to diversify as much as possible on defense as well. Basic plan would be a 4-3, but I'd still throw a Cover-2, 3-4, even a 4-6 once in a while... Just to confuse the hell out of the opposing offense.

Muck said:
So you're all about making guys earn their starting positions. But in the very next sentence, you're handing a starting job to their replacements?? Am I misinterperating this?? :)

I see nothing wrong with letting Feeley and Fiedler compete. And I have no problem with Thompson fighting for a job. However I do have a problem with Fiedler being paid $3.7 million to compete for a starting job.

Ruddy is gone. Perry is gone. Todd Wade is gone. Nails is gone. There's competition at RG and RT. Lots of young guys behind them competing.

I guess you are Muck. Naturally, this idea of letting Fiedler and Tompson go is only valid earlier in the offseason. At this point, the die is cast.

My point was that letting Jay and Thompson go would be a powerful message to the team -that we have to upgrade. I'd have had Collins or Warner or maybe another guy in to compete with Feeley. NO ONE gets a job handed to them, especially at the QB spot. Granted, realistically no one is coming in to replace Surtain, Zach or many of the other guys who are pretty good at what they do.

Instead, what we have right now is a mixed message at best. Jay has failed to improve, but he gets paid as a starter and gets another chance to compete for the starting spot. What was done with the OL was the right move. Gut it, and bring in a bunch of new guys with potential.

Fear of getting a worse group at OL should not have, and did not, prevent us from trying to get better.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I would shop 2 or 3 of our defensive stars and try to get a good qb. That is what we need the most.

I would ban Jimmy Johnson from any and all Dolphins decision making/consulting/visits/practices.

I didn't realize that Jimmy Johnson still had a say in what goes on in Phinville? I think he was a better coach than DW anyways. Remember it was he who drafted many of our stars on D (Taylor, Thomas, Surtain, etc...). If not a better caoch, then at least a better decision maker at draft time.

Well I this pint we need to be real. So lets take it by position and scheme.

It is far to late in the offseason to cut jay. Noway I am going into T.C. with no vet at QB to fall back on. Second from what I have read sage has been all over the place with the football during mini camp and is not looking like he is near ready to compete for a starting job nor the #2 man yet. I stay with my top 2 but give the qb job to the man that give us the best chance of winning.
WR. I feel like the 1,2,4,5. slots are solid with one and two being game breaking. Here I might look for another body to come in and compete but no way I give up to much in a trade if anything at all. I let Jerry work his job and get these men going in the right direction and on the same page. I would rent a back hoe and 100 feet of chain so we can pull DT's head out of that dark hle he got it stuck in.
O-line. This is easy. You put the 5 best run/pass( in that order) out there. by preseason game #3 the oline would look alot diff then what I am hearing now.
Smith (lt) Jeno(lg)Stclaire(c) Seth (rg) Carey (rt), just a guess and if seth get bowled over I would find some one to fill that spot.
D-line I wlike what we have even without ogun.AT this point I stand still and trade ogun if I am able to help next years draft. Lb Man are we old here. I might buy them some of those power scooters to keep the wear down on their legs during the seson. On the bright side moore is looking better and bua is an animmal.
DB"s (big smile on my face) If you don't play well , work hard, study film I will start the next guy waiting in line, The comp here is very harsh and tough.
Safties, Still smiling. Lets just put them out ther and let the two that keep their assingments and make the tackles start, (knight, Bell) I might even let bua play back here once in a while.
ST'S Would someone teach russell how to catch a punted ball,
Ride their buts when they get it wrong and slap their buts when they get it right and keep tell and pushing the team goalss and concept

I'd be a drill instructor and cut someone the teams looks up to. Probably Timbo. He hasn't taken his job serious with his off season conditioning. I would then lay out my expectations for everyone to go all out. Stop waiting for everyone else to make the tackle. I want the entire D on the pile.

Back
Top Bottom