Zach Orr | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Orr

Orr is not a strong side linebacker. He's 6' 225 lbs...he's a weak side backer where we already paid Kiko Alonso a lot of money and we have Neville Hewitt behind him.

Orr is a MLB or WLB who had 3 ints and 6 passes defended last year. Kiko is also a MLB or WLB, but the 2 could figure it out. Timmons can play MLB or SAM. It may be over kill to bring him, but LB was our worst position last season, and we added a slowing 32 year old and a 2nd round pic, so I'm hopeful but very skeptical they will solve all of our woes. We have 17 million in cap space and Orr is young.

This feels like the Dontari Poe sweepstakes but with less hope and no visit so far

Orr is a MLB or WLB who had 3 ints and 6 passes defended last year. Kiko is also a MLB or WLB, but the 2 could figure it out. Timmons can play MLB or SAM. It may be over kill to bring him, but LB was our worst position last season, and we added a slowing 32 year old and a 2nd round pic, so I'm hopeful but very skeptical they will solve all of our woes. We have 17 million in cap space and Orr is young.

He can play weak side inside linebacker in the 3-4...I wouldn't put him in the middle of a 4-3. And he is young...he's also one hit away from being paralyzed...and before you say so is everyone else, Orr is a lot closer than everyone else, except for maybe Misi.

If he's better than what we have why not? Wouldn't it make sense to sign him and trade someone else if needed or keep them all for depth? Wouldn't it be like saying we shouldn't add Sammy Watkins because we have Landry, Parker, Stills and Carroo? Or is just not a good fit for a 4-3 defense?

I've been holding off on commenting on this one, because it's a tough subject. But here is my humble opinion .... and it's just an opinion. Football is very tough, and while players always put their health on the line, there are some instances when it may be risking too much. I worried about Peyton Manning's last few years, but everything seemed to point towards it being a consensus medical opinion that he was OK. Frankly, I'm still worried about Koa Misi's health situation, and I definitely don't want him on the field unless we are 110% sure he's going to be OK.

Maybe it's because I was a kid when I saw Darryl Stingley get paralyzed. But that really effected my mindset. I'm not really on board with any gambles related to spinal issues. Personally, I'm rooting for the guy to stay healthy, but I don't want him on the Dolphins. Good player, check. Good person, maybe, I don't really know. But this sort of thing isn't really worth it IMHO. I've read the stories about kids with irregular heart beats dying on the field. I've seen Darryl Stingley get paralyzed in an NFL game by a big hit from a safety. I'm hoping the guy stays safe, and if he can, that will make me happy.

As for the Dolphins, I've said it before and I'll say it again, we went all-in on Lawrence Timmons, and I would have spent that money on a guard. We drafted Raekwon McMillan, and IMHO, that was very smart. He's going to be a stud MLB for 10+ years. Since we picked up Timmons for 12M over 2 years with 11M guaranteed, we've missed out on guys like David Harris and Zach Orr, along with another 3 or 4 solid LB's who could have been had who were either better or cheaper than Timmons. I didn't think the Timmons move was a good one, and in retrospect, I think that is more clear now. Regardless, we have to let guys like this go because we have overcommitted salary to the LB position.

But as far as Orr is concerned, we have enough scary medical situations. We don't need another high salaried veteran LB nor do we need another scary medical situation. That's just my $0.02.

It might be crowded, but not with quality. Among our projected starters, one is a rookie, another is on the downside of his career, and a lot of things can be said about the third, but a star he ain't. If Orr is healthy, it would be terrific to have him.

Also, what other position are you going to spend money on at this point in the season?

An argument could be made for center if Pouncey isnt able to go. The team sounds unsure of what to expect from Pouncey - "theyre hopeful" to get 16 gms played, struck me!

As to the original post, other teams with higher need and more cap room will out bid us anyway!!

Last edited:
I disagree with both of your points - that said I truly respect what you said and how you said it.

I think the NFL is an outrageous risk for every player on every snap.

The size, speed and strength of every athlete has made paralysis and death a possibility on every play.

If the kid is medically cleared to play he is no more or less a risk then anyone else to get physically destroyed every play.

And if they are not maimed or killed in front of you on Sunday - all the evidence that people need about the shortened life span and decreased quality of life is to look at the retired players and their life after football.

Shortened life expectancies, and brain damage, and mangled bodies are the norm.

As far as Timmons goes - GREAT GET - if he plays well for a year or two.

Worth every dime if he plays up the levels expected. He can teach and play and work towards buying time and teach developing young players.

Go get Orr NOW!

He gives us depth and more talent to put into the rotation.

He can play weak side inside linebacker in the 3-4...I wouldn't put him in the middle of a 4-3. And he is young...he's also one hit away from being paralyzed...and before you say so is everyone else, Orr is a lot closer than everyone else, except for maybe Misi.

I'm not a dr not do i play one on finheaven, but I would concede to the Drs in the NFL, so if they clear him, and Zach is willing to risk it, who I am to disagree. You have to look at his history. He played 3 seasons in the NFL, college, and high school and here he is with no history.

The Lions, Colts, and Jets have lined up visits, and Miami has not shown interest as of now.

There are 3 elements of a great athlete in any sport.
1. Just pure athletic talent.
2. Mental intelligence and toughness
3. The ability to stay healthy while pushing the limits.

The first two can be almost worthless if the last one doesn't work out.

You need players that can be counted on for 16 games otherwise you have a bunch of bench setters taking up cap space and opportunities to develop younger cheaper talent.

Thus I say pass.

Back
Top Bottom