Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor lobbying for Jim Bates | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor lobbying for Jim Bates

All I know is that we would be in BIG, BIG trouble if we hired Mularkey, Capers, or Bates as our head coach. If you thought Wanny was bad......

Disagree with Capers. Hiring Bates or Mularkey is a joke!! Neither deserve to be a coordinator let alone run a franchise. Capers has built a winner in Carolina. He didn't get the job done in houston but he had one of the all time worst GM's in the NFL in Casserly. I think his hiring gives the team contiinuity on our strongest part of the team. Now if you can bring in an offensive minded HC and be able to keep Capers as DC that would work as well but if you have to install a new defense that sets us back quite a bit.

Bates?

you have no idea what he has, lets not pretend

look at Marinelli, he is no rocket scientist but NFL people swear by him

Great example. Marinelli has looked out of his depth as a head coach. The Lions were worse under Marinelli then under Mariucci, and not just in the win-loss column. They went from the 21st ranked scoring defense last year to the 30th-ranked scoring defense this year. Bates is an old man whose strengths do not match our needs. We can retain Capers to run our defense which is already top-flight. We need an offensive-minded coach, and not Mike Martz, who's already proven he is incapable of leading an organization.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I was watching ESPN earlier and they mentioned Jim Bates as a candidate for the HC job and said that Zach and JT had already been campaigning for Jim to come back.

Sorry no link, it was something I saw on television...

No thanks.

Last time we let someone within the organization pick a coach for us we got Wanny compliments of Jimmy J.

Wayne has a good team in place with Mueller, Bailey and Weidmeir and they are the ones that should pick the successor not JT or Zach because..... they like Jim. :rolleyes:

All I know is that we would be in BIG, BIG trouble if we hired Mularkey, Capers, or Bates as our head coach. If you thought Wanny was bad......

Big trouble if we hire Mularkey or Bates I agree.

Capers would not be a disaster though, although I can't believe he's anywhere near the best choices we could come up with.

Not that things were so great this year, but Jim Bates was a coach on some of the most pathetic, underachieving teams in the history of this franchise. I want to forget that era, not re-live it.

It may take a while until we know who the new Dolphin coach will be because I do not think they are as interested in Jim Bates as Jim Bates is on the possibility of coaching here.

I like Bates. Did did a good job here as DC and a pretty nice job, in difficult circumstances, as an interim HC. The players love him and that is worth something. No, you don't make the HC a popularity contest among the players, but it is important for the players to have confidence in the HC and to want to run through walls for him.

The notion that a DC is not or cannot be "offensive minded" is absurd. Shula was originally a defensive-minded coach, but had some of the most prolific offenses in NFL history. Dungy was a defensive coach, but Indy has been pretty "offensive minded." Same for Marvin Lewis in Cincy. Same for George Seifert in SF.

The notion that a DC is not or cannot be "offensive minded" is absurd. Shula was originally a defensive-minded coach, but had some of the most prolific offenses in NFL history. Dungy was a defensive coach, but Indy has been pretty "offensive minded." Same for Marvin Lewis in Cincy. Same for George Seifert in SF.

Wow, I've been waiting to see if anybody else on this board understood that point. You're the first person I've seen acknowledge that. The whole "defensive minded / offensive minded" thing is so overrated, IMO...

Re:

I like Bates. Did did a good job here as DC and a pretty nice job, in difficult circumstances, as an interim HC. The players love him and that is worth something. No, you don't make the HC a popularity contest among the players, but it is important for the players to have confidence in the HC and to want to run through walls for him.

Then let me clarify the comment. By offensive-minded, I mean a guy that knows offense, that understands it, a guy that has coached it. To cite Tony Dungy as a counter-example is inane. When Dungy was hired, he was hired with a mandate not to mess with the offense. It was already in place. Tom Moore was the OC in Indy before Dungy got there. All of the prominent players on offense were already there. A better example would be Dungy's offenses in Tampa, which were consistently terrible (5 out of 6-years they ranked in the bottom half of the league.) Seifert is another horrible example, since he was promoted from within and inherited players and a system from his predecessor. Marvin Lewis inherited his offense too. Bob Bratkowski was the OC two years before Lewis got there. Palmer was drafted the year Lewis arrived. Houshmanzadeh, Chad Johnson, Rudi Johnson, Willie Anderson, Levi Jones, etc. predated Lewis.

Nick Saban, Dave Wannstadt, and Jimmy Johnson were defensive coaches and we see what wonders they did with the Dolphins offense. The Bears offense is terrible, so if the Cover Two defense (his forte) and its inherent weaknesses don't scare you away from Rivera, his lack of exposure to anything resembling a decent offense should.

Re:

Disagree with Capers. Hiring Bates or Mularkey is a joke!! Neither deserve to be a coordinator let alone run a franchise. Capers has built a winner in Carolina. He didn't get the job done in houston but he had one of the all time worst GM's in the NFL in Casserly. I think his hiring gives the team contiinuity on our strongest part of the team. Now if you can bring in an offensive minded HC and be able to keep Capers as DC that would work as well but if you have to install a new defense that sets us back quite a bit.

And Capers had one of the all-time best GMs in Bill Polian when he was with Carolina. The Panthers went 7-9 and 12-4 in their first two-years, the only two years Polian was GM (he left for Indianapolis thereafter) two years later Capers was fired. Capers is an excellant DC. He is a terrible HC.

I'll shoot myself if Jim Bates is hired to replace Satan.

Probably the end of the line for Taylor and Thomas unless Jim Bates comes in. That's likely the only way they manage to stay onboard another season or two. The next coach is probably going to want a completely clean slate. Look at what Schottenheimer did to Junior Seau when he arrived in San Diego. That's probably what is going to happen to Taylor and Thomas. I wouldn't even be surprised if Daunte Culpepper is canned.

Anyway, I'm most interested in Cam Cameron and Norm Chow at this point. Why not try to steal Bill Cowher from Pittsburgh? That'd be great. I've always been a HUGE Cowher fan...

Bates may be popular with Zach and JT but this is not a popularity contest.....we were 5th in defense this year, but 25th in offense...Bates would make a decent DC would not a head coach.

I say give Zach and JT what they want. They have done so much for the organization. You can't train rookies without mentors. They are the mentors and they deserve Jim Bates.

When's the last time we made the playoffs? When's the last time we won the Division? Have we ever truly made a run for the Lombardi with ZT and JT?

Last thing I'd do is hire Jim Bates just because that's what ZT and JT want.

I'll shoot myself if Jim Bates is hired to replace Satan.

Probably the end of the line for Taylor and Thomas unless Jim Bates comes in. That's likely the only way they manage to stay onboard another season or two. The next coach is probably going to want a completely clean slate. Look at what Schottenheimer did to Junior Seau when he arrived in San Diego. That's probably what is going to happen to Taylor and Thomas. I wouldn't even be surprised if Daunte Culpepper is canned.

Anyway, I'm most interested in Cam Cameron and Norm Chow at this point. Why not try to steal Bill Cowher from Pittsburgh? That'd be great. I've always been a HUGE Cowher fan...

Agree with the first part, but not Cowher. While I wouldnt mind him as coach, hes just burned out. I think hes the longest tenured coach in the NFL. He has stated his desire to just take time away and be with his family more.

We cannot afford to cater to ZT and JT at this point. I would love for them to stay, but they are not the future, and that is what we need to be worrying about right now, not the past. If they dont want to be Dolphins, fine, trade them to the NFC. If they want to stay, great, love to have you.

I disagree with you all about not listening to JT and ZT. While I DO NOT think that they should be the decision makers, their input is very valuable as the leaders of this team.

Back
Top Bottom