Zim’s Grades For The Game: Preseason Game 3 Edition | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Preseason Game 3 Edition

If Noah Igbo is playing with 2nd and 3rd stringers then I auto expect him to show up. I didn't see it. He just looks too hesitant. Not a good trait I wanna see as a DB. That position has to be instant reactions and natural talent thrown in. Sad to say but he's not improved much if at all.

Disagree on Coleman. I went back and rewatched the game. He had 5 bad plays the entire game. Overblown and over reaction.
I mean… 5 bad plays in a game is a lot. Imagine a guy who gets 5 penalties, gives up 2 sacks and 3 hurries, gives up 5 bad completions, etc… you don’t want to notice anyone doing something poorly 5 times in one game.

disclaimer: I did not watch this but you don’t make me feel confident in the player saying that haha

Merritt a B? Sorry dude he had an A game. Disagree on Perry, solid B in my book. And Iggy? Where did you see him play poorly in this game? Looked solid although wasn’t spectacular

I am happy for Stinnet, but if he ever ends up being the starting QB for Miami then we have some serious QB problems.

As far as Flo keeping things in house that is a smart way to go. Followed it up by saying he has confidence in Tua.

Good enough for me. And I don’t think this is a problem for the team at all. It is only a problem for media members that are more interested in drama than football and includes some fans as well.

Merrit pushing Grant off the roster? I think it is Fuller, Parker, Waddle, Wilson, then I just don’t know. So much talent for those last 2-3 spots. I’m calling Hollins, Merrit, and Williams, in that order. Perry to PS or as a 5th RB.

I love Grant on specials, but not over the potential that Williams brings as WR. Especially since I don’t see Parker on this team next year, despite my love for the young man, and PW is the closest comp to him skill set-wise in our roster.

I change my mind every day, though. So there’s that.

Last edited:
Disagree on Coleman. I went back and rewatched the game. He had 5 bad plays the entire game. Overblown and over reaction.
That is always what they do... they see a lineman get beat on a play and then they scream like little girls. They blow single plays way out of proportion.

Doaks looked like a big back... he wasn't elusive and he didn't break off any big runs, when he gets to the second level, he looks to run over the defensive players than to run around them. He hasn't caught the ball well throughout camp...

I'd cut him and bring him back if he passes through waivers. At this point, as much as I'd like to replace Laird, I think he has more value to us. He catches the ball VERY well, picks up his blocks, and plays on special teams.

Doaks is good in the red zone, and that's pretty much it.

Perry: I'd cut Grant and give the return job to Perry; he's more valuable in the base offense and more sure handed on both punts and receptions. He bobbled the one pass today, but he did catch it, something that Grant has failed to do on so many occasions. Besides, he is cheaper.

Merritt is the one I wonder about... he looks the part, even though I'm not sure that we need him yet. I think I'd keep him for week one, but when Fuller comes back, then I'd have to consider cutting him and taking our chances on losing him. An injury in week one might open a spot for him... or we might manage to trade Shaheen or Smythe... we could even decide to go with 3 RBs and Perry.

Preston Williams only got a couple of looks, but on the one ball... he had a step on the coverage and Sinnett missed him. If that ball would have been on target, it would have been the best gainer of the day. Tua would have delivered that ball.

That is always what they do... they see a lineman get beat on a play and then they scream like little girls. They blow single plays way out of proportion.

Unfortunately the line is one where single plays matter a lot. You have five guys out there, and if they are all bad on "a single play" each, you might have just given up 5 sacks.

So when someone says "only 5 bad plays" to me that is a lot for a lineman. Especially if bad isn't an over exaggeration for average.

Unfortunately the line is one where single plays matter a lot. You have five guys out there, and if they are all bad on "a single play" each, you might have just given up 5 sacks.

So when someone says "only 5 bad plays" to me that is a lot for a lineman. Especially if bad isn't an over exaggeration for average.
...but here's the thing.

We didn't give up 5 sacks. Not even close.

It's like what was written about Needham in his first year... wall-to-wall whining about how he was garbage, he was trash, he'd never be any good...

It was childish, and it was wrong. So many here are so quick to write off a player... it's nauseating.

Last edited:
Doaks looked like a big back... he wasn't elusive and he didn't break off any big runs, when he gets to the second level, he looks to run over the defensive players than to run around them. He hasn't caught the ball well throughout camp...

I'd cut him and bring him back if he passes through waivers. At this point, as much as I'd like to replace Laird, I think he has more value to us. He catches the ball VERY well, picks up his blocks, and plays on special teams.

Doaks looks a lot like Malcolm Brown in my opinion. Hope we can stash him on PS for a year in case we need a battering ram in a pinch.

...but here's the thing.

We didn't give up 5 sacks. Not even close.

It's like what was written about Needham in his first year... wall-to-wall whining about how he was garbage, he was trash, he'd never be any good...

It was childish, and it was wrong. So many here are so quick to write off a player... it's nauseating.

I'm not writing him off personally, I just think its fair to say he didn't have the best day.

The thing about late picks is you can't hold them to develop forever, those bottom roster spots are valuable.

Obviously I'm not saying move on from him, but its the nature of his draft position that if he doesn't look like a backup in the next season or two he will be gone.

Disagree about Laird. I was really pulling for him. But he really just hasn't shown anything. I do not think he holds nearly the value Doaks does. Doaks short game alone makes him 100 times more valuable. His pass pro is much better too.

Not saying you're wrong, but can you give me a few examples of plays where Noah's coverage was really poor? I re-watched the game and maybe saw one play in coverage on a crossing patteren, but didn't see a lot of the plays he was being beaten on that most saw. Especially not on plays he was beaten on for completions. I only counted a few completions when targeted and maybe a few others where he was playing zone coverage but not really beaten.
Unless someone has rewatched every one of Igbo’s snaps, which I highly doubt, I’ll leave the evaluations up to the coaching staff. Just because he didn’t have an INT doesn’t mean he didn’t play well. Like Tua, this is all about a narrative, not reality. Toughest position on the field takes time.

Back
Top Bottom