Zim’s Grades For The Game: Preseason Game 3 Edition | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Preseason Game 3 Edition

Unfortunately the line is one where single plays matter a lot. You have five guys out there, and if they are all bad on "a single play" each, you might have just given up 5 sacks.

So when someone says "only 5 bad plays" to me that is a lot for a lineman. Especially if bad isn't an over exaggeration for average.

...but here's the thing.

We didn't give up 5 sacks. Not even close.

It's like what was written about Needham in his first year... wall-to-wall whining about how he was garbage, he was trash, he'd never be any good...

It was childish, and it was wrong. So many here are so quick to write off a player... it's nauseating.
I think what some people are calling a bad play is simply where the defender won the match up and the olineman didn't grade a + or even on the play. I mean a player plays 50 snaps and loses 5 of the matchups and people are on his butt saying it's too much. However when the table is turned and our defender wins only 5 match ups against the opposing oline than all of a sudden they're saying 5 wins for a defender is not enough.

I think what some people are calling a bad play is simply where the defender won the match up and the olineman didn't grade a + or even on the play. I mean a player plays 50 snaps and loses 5 of the matchups and people are on his butt saying it's too much. However when the table is turned and our defender wins only 5 match ups against the opposing oline than all of a sudden they're saying 5 wins for a defender is not enough.

I've consistently maintained a defender only has to win once to make a play and have a good game, as long as he's not a total liability thebrest of the game.

Obviously you want more wins, but any given play on defense only one of your defensive lineman needs to win to make a big play.

On the offensive line you need all five to win on any given play for a "perfect pocket" but you can't have more than one loss on any play amongst them.

Unless someone has rewatched every one of Igbo’s snaps, which I highly doubt, I’ll leave the evaluations up to the coaching staff. Just because he didn’t have an INT doesn’t mean he didn’t play well. Like Tua, this is all about a narrative, not reality. Toughest position on the field takes time.

I'm also inclined to disagree about Iggy. I have a good feeling about him just like I had with X with Reshad Jones. I see him in position on most of the passes he doesn't break up so but the problem is he has to make up too much ground to get there and coaches say he can't rely on that anymore. If they keep giving him playing time he's going to be good. It does take time to develop in that position but improvement comes quickly once the light comes on.

I'm also inclined to disagree about Iggy. I have a good feeling about him just like I had with X with Reshad Jones. I see him in position on most of the passes he doesn't break up so but the problem is he has to make up too much ground to get there and coaches say he can't rely on that anymore. If they keep giving him playing time he's going to be good. It does take time to develop in that position but improvement comes quickly once the light comes on.

The problem is I've seen too many guys with lots of potential and more polish fail, I dont feel confident saying he will succeed just because he is our project.

I'm not saying we should move on, but I think its time to adjust our expectations to "Hopefully it clicks for him this year" because we can't continue to roster him year after year based on potential without significant progress being made soon.

OK…. This was actually a fun game to watch. The Dolphins continue to improve and I continue to be impressed by this coaching staff.

I’m going to do things a little different this time. Instead of giving grades to each unit, I’m going to just give my general thoughts and some grades to individuals. I do this because most of the guys I would be grading won’t be here Wednesday morning.
  • Reid Sinnett - A : GREAT game by Reid. Gutsy, accurate, smart, efficient….Basically every good QB compliment applies here. The problem is we need that 3rd QB spot for a receiver. Hopefully, Sinnett doesn’t get scooped up by another team and he makes it to our Practice Squad.
  • Kirk Merritt- B : This kid has talent. It’s undeniable. I think he makes this team. If he gets cut….He’s not making it to the practice squad. Someone is going to pick him up.
  • Gerrid Doaks - B : Nice game by him. Nothing spectacular, but he proved he can pick up some tough yards.
  • Noah Igbo - D : I’m just not seeing the improvement from this kid I hoped I would. If he doesn’t make the final PBU there this grade is an F. That being said….Maybe….Just Maybe…That final PBU gives this kid the confidence he hasn’t shown up until this point. I’m rooting for this kid.
  • Larnell Coleman- F : What do you expect? He was a 7th round pick and played like a college FA today. Practice Squad guy at best.
  • Greg Little - C : I saw him give up a few pressures….But he wasn’t horrible. I’m hoping he can put it together…..But We’ll see.
  • Malcolm Perry - C : Got the 2 point conversion and made a couple catches today. Unfortunately, this is a talented WR room and I don’t see Perry making this team. Maybe a PS guy if he doesn’t get claimed.
  • Q - C : I love this kid. I love his aggressiveness. I wish he grew up in the states and played football as a kid. He’ll stick around because of the roster exemption.
  • Coaches - A : The ONLY problem I have with this coaching staff is that Flores won’t stand up at the podium and SQUASH THE ****ING WATSON RUMORS. This is starting to become a distraction to the team. I personally think trading for Watson right now makes ZERO sense whatsoever. So…Why hasn’t Flores squashed it? It makes me think there’s something to all these rumors. Other than that, Flores can take his’n and beat your’n and take your’n and beat his‘n.

Q looked MUCH better than I expected.

Noah? Last year he seemed to make quite a few mental errors - blown assignments or biting on routes. He seems to have cleaned that up. Not up to top 10 CBs in the NFL, but good enough to stick

The problem with iggy and why some of these posters want to write him off is where he was drafted and what we found in X as a second rounder. At that spot he should be much more polished than what we have seen so far (should have been a late 2nd rounder/ 3rd) but that doesn’t mean you give up on him . I really believe the light will come on, and if it does he will be a problem. I watched some of his extra curricular training videos with x and others and he was moving much better .

Q looked MUCH better than I expected.

Noah? Last year he seemed to make quite a few mental errors - blown assignments or biting on routes. He seems to have cleaned that up. Not up to top 10 CBs in the NFL, but good enough to stick
Think he only played the position for two yrs before he was drafted. I find it hysterical that certain posters judge these players on their actions but themselves on their intentions. Wonder how many of them were not experts or even proficient in their jobs in yr one or two but have no problem bashing some of the best athletes on the planet for not being all pro yr one. Just stop.

Iggy is 21 and is starting his 2nd pro season. In college, he played 1 season at WR and 2 seasons at CB. HE. IS. RAW. and needs coaching and experience. The people who want to give up on him already make my brain hurt.

Iggy is 21 and is starting his 2nd pro season. In college, he played 1 season at WR and 2 seasons at CB. HE. IS. RAW. and needs coaching and experience. The people who want to give up on him already make my brain hurt.
These are the same people who got fired from their jobs after 6 mos.

OK…. This was actually a fun game to watch. The Dolphins continue to improve and I continue to be impressed by this coaching staff.

I’m going to do things a little different this time. Instead of giving grades to each unit, I’m going to just give my general thoughts and some grades to individuals. I do this because most of the guys I would be grading won’t be here Wednesday morning.
  • Reid Sinnett - A : GREAT game by Reid. Gutsy, accurate, smart, efficient….Basically every good QB compliment applies here. The problem is we need that 3rd QB spot for a receiver. Hopefully, Sinnett doesn’t get scooped up by another team and he makes it to our Practice Squad.
  • Kirk Merritt- B : This kid has talent. It’s undeniable. I think he makes this team. If he gets cut….He’s not making it to the practice squad. Someone is going to pick him up.
  • Gerrid Doaks - B : Nice game by him. Nothing spectacular, but he proved he can pick up some tough yards.
  • Noah Igbo - D : I’m just not seeing the improvement from this kid I hoped I would. If he doesn’t make the final PBU there this grade is an F. That being said….Maybe….Just Maybe…That final PBU gives this kid the confidence he hasn’t shown up until this point. I’m rooting for this kid.
  • Larnell Coleman- F : What do you expect? He was a 7th round pick and played like a college FA today. Practice Squad guy at best.
  • Greg Little - C : I saw him give up a few pressures….But he wasn’t horrible. I’m hoping he can put it together…..But We’ll see.
  • Malcolm Perry - C : Got the 2 point conversion and made a couple catches today. Unfortunately, this is a talented WR room and I don’t see Perry making this team. Maybe a PS guy if he doesn’t get claimed.
  • Q - C : I love this kid. I love his aggressiveness. I wish he grew up in the states and played football as a kid. He’ll stick around because of the roster exemption.
  • Coaches - A : The ONLY problem I have with this coaching staff is that Flores won’t stand up at the podium and SQUASH THE ****ING WATSON RUMORS. This is starting to become a distraction to the team. I personally think trading for Watson right now makes ZERO sense whatsoever. So…Why hasn’t Flores squashed it? It makes me think there’s something to all these rumors. Other than that, Flores can take his’n and beat your’n and take your’n and beat his‘n.
Maybe there's a good chance it has already been squashed within the team.

Flores may be letting it continue so that early future opponents (Like the Pats and Bills) think Miami is not satisfied with Tua, and might be thinking of changing at any time...Mind games.

Last edited:
Doaks looked like a big back... he wasn't elusive and he didn't break off any big runs, when he gets to the second level, he looks to run over the defensive players than to run around them. He hasn't caught the ball well throughout camp...

I'd cut him and bring him back if he passes through waivers. At this point, as much as I'd like to replace Laird, I think he has more value to us. He catches the ball VERY well, picks up his blocks, and plays on special teams.

Doaks is good in the red zone, and that's pretty much it.
Laird is an excellent receiver. I would think Doaks makes it to the practice squad.

Running back is one area where Grier still could look to add a veteran.

Back
Top Bottom