Zim’s Grades For The Game Week 1 Edition | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game Week 1 Edition

Baker is looking like a terrible fit in this defense (so far). No idea how the guy always grades out well on PFF; anyone with eyes can see the dude has zero LB instincts. Was guessing all day long vs the run and took himself out of most plays.

While I agree with most of your grades I’d argue Tua deserves the A+. The INT was a poor decision, but that fumble was all Williams. Can’t blame the kid for not being able to handle a bad snap. He made some big time throws today. The sideline throw to Berrios was incredible and you could argue he had 2 better throws to Hill on the final drive.
Tua got a little aggressive there, but I think it was set for a jump ball which Wr was in front and could have jumped up for. It looked like a defensive pass interference imo with push off as wr was trying to get in position but falls forward. Either way Tua is HIM

The Offensive Line deserves a game ball. Tua had lots of time, inspite of the 13 pressures the line gave up.

Tua, was fantastic. But he needs to learn to stop throwing into coverage. He got burnt once again, on the interception he threw in the endzone.
He also threw one horrible pass to Smythe with 3 defenders around him. I would give Tua a “B+”

Reactions: BSQ
He also threw one horrible pass to Smythe with 3 defenders around him. I would give Tua a “B+”
Tua tends to throw a couple head scratchers a game, but hard to argue with the overall performance. More than made up for it with absolute crucial dimes in clutch situations. Man deserves an A at least IMO.

Tua tends to throw a couple head scratchers a game, but hard to argue with the overall performance. More than made up for it with absolute crucial dimes in clutch situations. Man deserves an A at least IMO.
I loved that perfect throw to Tyreek in the back of the end zone. I thought the ball literally went through the defender. Lol.

Yeah, I’m not going to knock a 466 yard opening week performance capped off with a touchdown throw into a window basically the size of the football based on a few bad throws or decisions. We carved through that defense pretty much all day mostly riding his arm. An errant throw would’ve had to start a wild fire to bring that down from an A.

I think those looking for "perfection", pointing out some questionable plays, are not being realistic.

First of all, no QB in history has been perfect over even a short time span.

Second of all, our scheme requires Tua to throw the ball with so much anticipation, not a bad thing, that there are going to be times where he anticipates incorrectly, the receiver or defenders do something he doesn't expect, etc.

Third, it has, literally, been less than a season worth of starts in the system.

Let's try and keep some perspective. No problem with dissecting and discussing issues, both overall as well as on an individual play basis, just that a QB making a bad decision here and there is not uncommon, even for first ballot HOFers.

The chargers offensive gameplan IMO was very good. Had our defense on its heels, unable to make substitutions most of the game. Our dline couldn't really pin their ears back and go after the QB until last drive, and we saw what happened then! Hopefully Fangio learns from this experience, you know future opponents will be paying close attention to how the chargers exploited our run D. Will be worried if our D gets run all over on a consistent basis, but for now am gonna chalk it up to week 1 conditioning and not being ready for up tempo
I think the big thing is they said as a game plan "Herbert will not beat us over the top" no matter what and they stuck to their game plan. That meant keeping Long on the bench and having Gink out there in nickel and dime situations.

In the second half you could tell they were trying to do more run fits with Gink firing into the A gaps but with Davis getting blown off the ball like he did nothing was going to help. That to me was the biggest problem with the run fits on defense.

Those two turnovers in scoring situations I also think really hurt what Fangio wanted to do with his defensive game plan. As you stated, when the situation was right, he pounced. It's going to be awesome watching this D get after the QB with a lead this year.

As for the offense, it reminds me so much of watching Marino in his prime as I was born in '78. You didn't have any worries about the Fins scoring. I now have a 15 and 9 year old boys. Watching them is like looking into a mirror of my childhood fandom. Can't wait to enjoy the ride again with them!

I think the big thing is they said as a game plan "Herbert will not beat us over the top" no matter what and they stuck to their game plan. That meant keeping Long on the bench and having Gink out there in nickel and dime situations.

In the second half you could tell they were trying to do more run fits with Gink firing into the A gaps but with Davis getting blown off the ball like he did nothing was going to help. That to me was the biggest problem with the run fits on defense.

Those two turnovers in scoring situations I also think really hurt what Fangio wanted to do with his defensive game plan. As you stated, when the situation was right, he pounced. It's going to be awesome watching this D get after the QB with a lead this year.

As for the offense, it reminds me so much of watching Marino in his prime as I was born in '78. You didn't have any worries about the Fins scoring. I now have a 15 and 9 year old boys. Watching them is like looking into a mirror of my childhood fandom. Can't wait to enjoy the ride again with them!
That makes sense. And yea those turnovers certainly made the game closer than it should have been.

Totally agree, if this team can get out to a big lead and force the other offense to be one dimensional, it bodes well for our chances of a win.

Born in '84 myself, did get to see some great miami offenses, but this season has great potential to trump what I've witnessed. Have 2 boys myself (10yr old and 7yr old), both dolphins fans, we were all flippin out this game. Hoping to rejoice together many more times this season. Seams like this franchise has finally turned things around, great time to be a young Dolphin fan IMO!

McDaniel's play calling gets an A...McDaniels balls get an A+ especially for that 4th and 7 play.
That time-out, with the clock running out on the first half, was absolutely brilliant. That call doesn't get enough credit. As soon as he called it I'm like, "oh ****...McD has an idea." Absolutely incredible call.

That time-out, with the clock running out on the first half, was absolutely brilliant. That call doesn't get enough credit. As soon as he called it I'm like, "oh ****...McD has an idea." Absolutely incredible call.

don't want to deflate that, but that, to me, was an obvious call. Using mini/max, if the pass is caught or gains a PI, a FG is possible. Incomplete? No harm done. Penalty on Miami? so what? worst that could have happened is a pick 6, but the odds of that are exceedingly small. An INT with a moderate run back? LAC didn't have time to score. I thought that was a brilliant call.

Beautiful assessment. 👍

This front 4 didn't catch me by surprise. In the thread that called for the 2 areas with the most cause for concern, I called out both lines. The OL was a breath of fresh air but the DL went off just as expected. Maybe not JUST as expected, I didn't know we were that susceptible to the run game (except for that last preseason game) but I had an idea our DL was not spectacular. Fangio has got to do a much better job with his play designs & calls because the talent we have requires said talent being put in advantageous situations. We're not strong enough to stay in a base defense all game long.

The good news is that if the trend of this game continues, it works in our favor. Let teams out-punch themselves trying to put in 15 play drives running the ball while we get the ball down to the red zone in 3 pass plays. Your 6 points on an exhausting drive does not equate to my 6 point quick strike. You have the pressure of having to maintain drives. We'll put points on you from wherever whenever in the blink of an eye.

There's much- much, much- to improve but we have an offense that compensates for everything we are lacking & its good to be a Dolfan today.

Beautiful assessment. 👍

This front 4 didn't catch me by surprise. In the thread that called for the 2 areas with the most cause for concern, I called out both lines. The OL was a breath of fresh air but the DL went off just as expected. Maybe not JUST as expected, I didn't know we were that susceptible to the run game (except for that last preseason game) but I had an idea our DL was not spectacular. Fangio has got to do a much better job with his play designs & calls because the talent we have requires said talent being put in advantageous situations. We're not strong enough to stay in a base defense all game long.

The good news is that if the trend of this game continues, it works in our favor. Let teams out-punch themselves trying to put in 15 play drives running the ball while we get the ball down to the red zone in 3 pass plays. Your 6 points on an exhausting drive does not equate to my 6 point quick strike. You have the pressure of having to maintain drives. We'll put points on you from wherever whenever in the blink of an eye.

There's much- much, much- to improve but we have an offense that compensates for everything we are lacking & its good to be a Dolfan today.
Exactly - that's like them shooting 2's, while we're shooting (and making) 3's.

Back
Top Bottom