10 most overrated NFL draft prospects according to ESPN/PFF | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

10 most overrated NFL draft prospects according to ESPN/PFF

Good list and I agree with most.

I don't really agree with Williams completely. Yes he needs to be a better tackler and probably needs to be less aggressive at times, but he plays hard and physical and has very good recovery. I always felt he was a second round pick and still think he goes there.

wow... great post.... and a lot of this basically i totally agree with. great read!!!

Dupree I have been saying is overrated too... very athletic with ability, but very raw fundamentally. plays confused against the run with bad angles, doesnt use his hands well, doesnt use strength, doesnt rip around the edge in pass rush, lots to learn fundamentally and technique wise... he is a work in progress. ...

Living in KY, I've watched Dupree several times. He rarely comes up in big games. He disappears too much during games and is one of those guys who's always around the play but typically is not the primary disrupter or causation of a negative play. Especially when compared to his hype.

Much of his hype came from the cup cake portions of our schedule. Once it was time to play the SEC, his name was called less and less each game.

Definitely not worthy of Top 10 or even 1st round consideration. He's a tweener; a 2nd round guy. Earning his spot on Special Teams until he learns how to perform stronger at the point of attack and hold his assignments. He's a liability as a starter at this point.

I personally think he would benefit by moving to LB.

I think most on here have said Scherff would be a starting guard in the NFL but not a starting OT...maybe play some Tackle in a pinch but not full time. Makes me wonder if most NFL teams view him the same way, as a guard prospect only and will that cause him to drop. Few years ago Chance Warmack (10th overall) and Jonathan Cooper (7th overall) were taken top 10 and neither have had the impact those teams were hoping for...of course Cooper was injured in the preseason and missed his entire rookie season.
Perfect example. Warmack had some power but not like Scherff. Cooper was a lightweight speed/quickness guy. Those guys had nowhere near the power Scherff does, and neither was a top technician. What they had was good feet. Just like Jonathan Martin.

What works is technique. Add power and length to that and they succeed at G.

Where they fail is when they dazzle you with footwork but don't have the requisite power, work ethic and technique.

That is exactly why I like Scherff so much and do not like La'el Collins.

None of the top guards in the NFL are lazy and none have bad technique. There are plenty of them that have average feet though.

It's those dazzling dancers that lack sand in the pants or proper hand placement or proper leverage that continually "underachieve."

Maybe it's time we acknowledge that good feet isn't the NEED part of the position. .... technique and power are. Yes, even in a zone scheme.

No secret that I agree with Waynes being on this list. I don't have him as one of the 5 best CB prospects in the draft.

With Armstead, I think it depends on what we're talking about. If you're saying he's a top 20, or even a top 10 player, I'd say, yeah, pump the breaks. Short arms relative to his height and for a 5-technique, he's built awkwardly. But for a big, young player, he posses great physical tools, and he played his role well at Oregon - 2-gap 5. I think he's somewhere in the 20-32 range.

As an OG prospect, I think Scherff is the 10th best player in the draft, and they add that qualifier. I agree that he's not a top-tier OT. I guess this serves as a warning to teams that want to play him at OT, but I think it's a strange blurb.

I love Bud Dupree, and I think they're way off base. Dupree needs to work on his hand usage, and he needs to work on his arch. This is a high character player, and these are correctable problems. Dupree doesn't need to bend the arch like Derrick Thomas; he just needs to do it passable level. Even if he does not improve either of those areas, which he will, a team will put him at the 9, and he'll have a more direct angle at the QB. He's a versatile football player, with no ceiling, and his odds of failing are very low. His explosive power has no peer, and if you pay attention to this stuff, guys who excel in that area tend to excel in the NFL. He's 2-yards beyond the OT on almost every snap. He also dropped into coverage more often than any of the other top Edge prospects.

I think people are starting to underrate Funchess at this point. He's a 6'5, 230lb receiver with very good quickness and burst for his size. He's not fast, but he's a good athlete. Teams will have a hard time matching up with him. I think he's another guy who suffered from poor QB play, and I think he's worth a late-1st/early-2nd to the right team.

Goldman's another guy I have as worth a late-1st. Great frame for a NT, enough athleticism to improve as a pass rusher. I'd draft him before Shelton. This is more PFF missing the forest for the trees.

I like Dorsett as a 2nd RD player. He's not just fast; he's hiccup quick. In a role like TY Hilton's, he should flourish. Has to go to the right situation, though. You can't just draft a little WR without a plan.

I agree that Thompson is overrated. 2nd/3rd round player. Overrated as an athlete and player.

I think PJ Williams could be a Charles Tillman type player in a Cover 2. Physical, explosive, great instincts. But he doesn't have the COD to get it done in man coverage at the NFL level. Overall, I'd agree that people who were talking about him in the 1st or early 2nd were overrating him, but I think he can be a productive football player in the right system.

McKinney has the physical tools to improve his coverage, and he's young at the position. I don't see how he's overrated as a 2nd RD pick. If you need a physically imposing ILB, he's the best one in the draft. He's also a decent pass rusher.

Good post, J, Offerdahl. I was going to say some similar things. My theory is that some people get nitpicked to death that they become over-rated, but it gets so extreme, that they ironically turn around and then become under-rated again. It's a weird phenomenon. I put Funchess in that category. In January, we could all come on here and talk about all his problems. The problem is that conventional wisdom then becomes he is trash. That's going too far. Funchess is a solid day 2 pick. McKinney is another in that category. He lacks intangibles but then we go overboard with the nits.

One of the beauties of football is there is no perfect player. Everyone has a weakness. That's the nature of the sport. So, evaluation is therefore by definition rigorous.

OTOH, Trae Waynes has been problematic for me from the get-go. I will be very upset if Miami takes him. That's an uninspiring "group think" guy where the conventional wisdom gets a flow going on a guy. This happens every year where guys just get anointed. If we all looked at him in a vaccum on our own without outside influence, we'd probably think early 3rd.

I wouldnt worry about it austin unless the vikes trade ap which seems unlikely right now or parkers there at 11 the vikes will pluck the correct fit for their press man scheme d waynes and you wont have to worry about it

Mel kiper just gave the houston texans philip dorsett at 16...thats rediculous Imo

I wouldnt worry about it austin unless the vikes trade ap which seems unlikely right now or parkers there at 11 the vikes will pluck the correct fit for their press man scheme d waynes and you wont have to worry about it

Mel kiper just gave the houston texans philip dorsett at 16...thats rediculous Imo

thats Kiper... going for those "big play makers" and "speed"

Bill polians dinosaur ass is roasting every pick they make :lol:

They are saying shane rays toe is a medical issue that bothers teams...first i have heard that...got him dropping

I think Dorsett is going in the first round. There is going to be a run on receivers in this draft. Oline and these undersized pass rushers are going to get pushed down.

also i gotta say that the word "overrated" shouldnt be in the title of this write-up... these prospects are top 1-2-3 round prospects (for the most part). basically what is written are their faults or question marks on them. things they need to work on.

once again this is the most part... Funchess is awful!!! :tongue:

Pretty much most those assessments are ridiculous. They are less qualified than those that botch these draft picks year in and year out. I love the NFL draft, but the reality is nobody really knows jack when it comes to these players and how they'll fit in. It's easy to be negative about a prospective draft pick because most of them won't make it in the league or will be largely invisible if they do - so the "I called it card" can be pulled out frequently.

Saying rays having toe surgery out thru september at least...thus the drop til late 1st...imo thats the best or 2nd best pure edge pass rusher in the class...someones getting a steal

34 teams should jump on ray and beasley

Back
Top Bottom