10 Reasons Why The Miami Dolphins Won’t Stink As Much As Sports Books Think | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

10 Reasons Why The Miami Dolphins Won’t Stink As Much As Sports Books Think

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score

Quarterback Ryan Tannehill last played for Miami in 2016. (AP Photo/Brad Penner)

1. Tannehill is worth at least two or three wins over the 2017 version of Cutler. He just is.

Kenyan Drake is one of the NFL’s emerging backs. (Allen Eyestone / The Palm Beach Post)

The Dolphins need a star as Miami is a star-driven town, and there aren’t too many obvious ones on the roster at the moment. But I present
running back Kenyan Drake. What if I told you no running back in the NFL had more yards than Drake over the last five weeks of the season? None. What if I told you Drake had three rushing plays for 40-plus yards, which tied for the second-most in the NFL, despite starting just five games?
Miami dumped Pro Bowlers, especially Ajayi, Landry and Suh, in part, because they felt their leadership style wasn’t conducive to a winning atmosphere. Miami wanted to reconfigure its nucleus with players they feel bring a more team-oriented approach. Enter
3. Josh Sitton, Frank Gore and Danny Amendola.
All three players have won in the league. Sitton is still playing at a very high level, filling a long-suffering need at guard. Amendola is going to have a hard time justifying his salary, but he is a quality addition to the locker room. And Gore, a true professional, can help mentor Drake.You’re going to claim blasphemy for raising
DeVante Parker at this moment. But Parker has turned a bit of a corner in his preparation, knowing this is truly a make-or-break season in his career, say those who know him best. We’ll see. But Parker has the ability. It’s never been about ability. And having Tannehill back will help him.
For years, Miami has been embarrassed by tight ends and has trotted out embarrassing performances by tight ends. Thus, Miami drafted
5. Mike Gesicki and Durham Smythe to catch and block and
Minkah Fitzpatrick and Jerome Baker to blanket Rob Gronkowski and friends.
Those were very role-specific selections. And you may not agree with all of them. But they should help in this area.
In fact, for years, there have been outcries for a guard, a tight end and a linebacker or safety who can cover the tight end. If there are outcries about that this season, it won’t be because Miami didn’t try to address the concerns.

Robert Quinn can change the course of a game. (Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images)

We’re losing a bit of steam but we come to
7. Robert Quinn, the pass-rusher slyly acquired by Tannenbaum for a fourth-rounder. It can be argued that Quinn, if healthy, will generate more game-changing plays this season than Suh would have, if mostly by nature of his position.
No two players in recent NFL history have created more strip-sacks than Quinn and Cam Wake and the notion that they may be charging rookies like Josh Allen (Buffalo) and Sam Darnold (New York Jets) should foster some enthusiasm.
Remember that time Wake and Suh crunched former Jets quarterback Bryce Petty? Oh, sorry, forgot for a moment the Dolphins have signed Petty. We won’t bring up the backup quarterback situation here. Story for another day.
Tannehill has been quite effective throughout his career when protected, and so the decision to exercise
Ja’Wuan James’ fifth-year option, along with the expected development of left tackle Laremy Tunsil, gives Miami capable bookends. From a pure upside perspective, in fact, these former first-rounders have the ability to dominate at times. What if they do, far more often?You might say we’re reaching when we talk about Miami’s
9. re-configured coaching staff, but Gase trusts offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains explicitly. And there are new voices for the receivers, running backs, offensive line, defensive line and defensive backs. And it should very much help defensive coordinator Matt Burke that this is his second season calling plays. It also helps that the club has loaded up on young defensive talent in the first three rounds of recent drafts.This exercise nearly complete, I bring up reason 10. why I don’t think the Miami Dolphins fail to win at least six games this season. I say, for sure, at least seven games, all the way up to nine or 10.
The AFC isn’t very good. And Miami’s schedule isn’t as good as it was last season.
There are five or six hard games on the Dolphins schedule, but even if they were to lose all five, there are five or six games they should be favored, in my opinion, to win.
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...ins-wont-stink-as-much-as-sports-books-think/

For the first time in his career, Ryan Tannehill has a pretty complete offense. On paper at least, this looks like the best offensive line Miami has had in a long time. Gesicki gives the Dolphins a legit tight end something this team has also lacked in a long time. There isn't a star receiver, but enough talent there and Drake could be an emerging superstar, if he stays healthy.

My biggest concern is run defense, both with the defensive tackles and defensive ends. Will smaller and faster work on defense? Most likely against the pass, but not sure the team will be able to stop the run.

I think this team could be pretty good if RT comes back and doesnt miss a beat.
Being able to convert critical plays in tight ball games will be the key.

The enigma that is Parker. Who is he? Where (Mentally) is he? What will he do this year? Nobody knows.
Parker, please find beast mode and push play.

I think the slot receiver and TE will be getting most of the passes.
Gase likes the short high percentage throws.
Ballage will add another dimension on swing routes and dump offs.
This offense will have lot of ways to move the ball.
The defense is a year or two away IMHO.
Offense will carry this team.

Typically, our offense has needed 4-5 weeks to gel. We wasted a lot of good defensive performances with our 3 and out offense.

First, the title should be
10 Reasons Why The Miami Dolphins SHOULDN'T Stink As SPORTS BOOKS THINK
Nobody know if they will or won't.

Pan has already mentioned my 1st concern - 4-5 weeks for the OL to gel and Tannehill to get in rhythm. Likely two rookie LBs.
OL/TE/DB/Safety/RB SHOULD be better. DE/WR SHOULD be no worse.
My two concerns are DT without Suh and Gase himself. Can he take necessary steps to reduce brainless penalties? Can he do anything about the slow starts. Play-calling looked much better the last few games of last year. Will that continue?

No one without an agenda can deny talent upgrades and a good draft. OTOH, no one knows how all this talent will translate on the field.

I like the idea that we have a first round draft pick Minkah Fitzpatrick,
a second rounder with Raekwon McMillan,and a third rounder Jerome Baker
who will be changing the face of our defense for years to come.

Add a healthy Cordrea Tankersley and two young defensive tackles
going into their second year with tons of potential.

Charles Harris should improve and
Xavien Howard looks like a future shut down corner the way
he finished last season.

The youngsters should be something special to watch this season
I for one am very excited for the privilege

Pan has already mentioned my 1st concern - 4-5 weeks for the OL to gel and Tannehill to get in rhythm. Likely two rookie LBs.
My two concerns are DT without Suh and Gase himself. Can he take necessary steps to reduce brainless penalties? Can he do anything about the slow starts. Play-calling looked much better the last few games of last year. Will that continue?

No one without an agenda can deny talent upgrades and a good draft. OTOH, no one knows how all this talent will translate on the field.

It's called an opinion, brother. He's allowed to have them. You SHOULDN'T be telling people how to construct their thread titles when they're pretty well laid-out with reasoning.

Unless you're referring to the article itself, in which case, good luck with convincing a publication of that. It's called an opinion piece for a reason.

Actually...you know what? Disregard this entirely. I'm just now noticing that the article has the same title. I'll see myself out and get some more coffee.

I used the headline from the paper.

well thats cheeky

I love it, agree with it, but ultimately know it will all hang on tannehill's shoulders.

how very nitpicky.

Our biggest thorn has been mental mistakes; stupid penalties. If we can minimize that, we will be much more competitive.

how very nitpicky.

Ummm, not so much "nitpicky" as realistic. That said, I realize the author needs titles that generate clicks. I can accept optimism - I'm optimistic - but I'm uncomfortable with absolutes.

And THAT said, I agree with ck . . . there are more than 10 reasons for fans to be optimistic. Gase, IMO, is the biggest variable.

Back
Top Bottom