'19 Season A Tank (not So Fast) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

'19 Season A Tank (not So Fast)

dnr3131

Active Roster
Reaction score
Most everyone is talking about tanking the '19 season. Not so fast......

If you really look into it, how much difference is this years team going to be from last years team (personal)??? Not that much.
* The QB play is not going to be any worse, is it?????? NO
* What players did we lose that this team will have a hard time replacing? Loved Wake, but his production at this point can easily be replaced (not the man though), Branch, please. Juan James could be the only player that may be tough to replace immediately (nothing the draft can't take care of possibly).
* We had so many players playing out of position last season (Minka/McCain/Gesicki, just to name a few).
* I believe our staff has a MUCH better foundation and should have a better ability to coach up players. I also believe that our team will be more diversified, the ability to change on the fly, the ability to play to the opponents weaknesses/strengths, something last years staff didn't do or couldn't do. Ie: we may play a 3-4 base 1 week and a 4-3 base the next week. Adjusting to our opponents, unlike any season under Gase.
* The wild card to me is the #13th pick, if we can get Haskins, this team will be better off already this season than any under Tannehill.

With a closer look into this years roster compared to last years, with the draft still upcoming, this team could at least accomplish what last years team did or did not. The draft could really put this years roster ahead of last years going into the season. Fitz Magic will perform as well as Tanny did (not hard), and if thats the case, could there be at least a repeat (8-8).

Too many holes at critical areas, mainly the offensive and defensive lines.

Also, you have to factor in other teams getting better. Darnold and Allen should both be better year two for the Jets and Bill's respectively.

Coaching is one area where Miami figures to be stronger and that could be huge.

Most everyone is talking about tanking the '19 season. Not so fast......

If you really look into it, how much difference is this years team going to be from last years team (personal)??? Not that much.
* The QB play is not going to be any worse, is it?????? NO
* What players did we lose that this team will have a hard time replacing? Loved Wake, but his production at this point can easily be replaced (not the man though), Branch, please. Juan James could be the only player that may be tough to replace immediately (nothing the draft can't take care of possibly).
* We had so many players playing out of position last season (Minka/McCain/Gesicki, just to name a few).
* I believe our staff has a MUCH better foundation and should have a better ability to coach up players. I also believe that our team will be more diversified, the ability to change on the fly, the ability to play to the opponents weaknesses/strengths, something last years staff didn't do or couldn't do. Ie: we may play a 3-4 base 1 week and a 4-3 base the next week. Adjusting to our opponents, unlike any season under Gase.
* The wild card to me is the #13th pick, if we can get Haskins, this team will be better off already this season than any under Tannehill.

With a closer look into this years roster compared to last years, with the draft still upcoming, this team could at least accomplish what last years team did or did not. The draft could really put this years roster ahead of last years going into the season. Fitz Magic will perform as well as Tanny did (not hard), and if thats the case, could there be at least a repeat (8-8).

You clearly picked a controversial subject and I expect most responses to be based on what people perceive through their dark or rosy glasses. There will be no changing of anyone's mind, even a week from now. I'll say this (as I have in other threads) . . . no one knows how Flores and staff compare to Gase and staff. THAT will be the deciding factor. I've said a couple of times, an above average staff would have had a bad? Miami team in the playoffs, IN SPITE of all the injuries. There is no indisputable evidence to contradict that.

I admit, I'm leaning on no tank (defined as trying to win as few as possible). The evidence for or against is contradictory. No one knows. I agree, there are only 2-3 spots that can be called "worse," but coaching (pre-season and in-game) may offset those. Again, no one knows. I'M VERY much looking forward to September.

Gone are the starting QB, both starting DE's and leading sack.........leading RB and leading WR

How can this team be the same as last year?

btw, Wilson and Grant coming back from surgery too.

A lot of assumptions, OP. Not sure why you have belief in a coaching staff/system or Haskins yet.

An 8-8 season would be the worst thing that can happen to this team. That would put them in no man's land as usual. They really need a 2-14 season to get the QB they want in the 2020 draft and build off of that.

Won’t matter if they get their QB this year

We can overachieve and be mediocre for another year, or rip the bandaid off and have a chance to build something special.

I can see either happening. Tomorrow night we will learn A LOT more about where we might be heading.

I can't wait:)

As it stands now, we have one offensive lineman that isn’t below replacement. Yes, it’s a large armored vehicle with a cannon sticking out of it.

Just have to stick up for my boy and one of the all time dolphins great Cameron Wake for a second. When you say his performance is easy to replace are you going by his stats or did you actually watch him? I actually like watching defense more than offense which has been frustrating the last few years however Wake was usually the one I watched the most. He certainly lost a step after the Achilles however he was still dominate last year. Constantly in the backfield putting pressure just that step cost him the sack. He still graded out as the 15th best end last year and that’s including his run defense which isn’t the greatest. If anyone has pff insider and can check pass rushing efficiency I’d bet he’s in the top 5 last year. If whoever we draft is half as productive as Wake was last year, I’ll be happy, just hope he can improve to 75% after a couple years.

Back
Top Bottom