1973 Dolphins Dissed, Ranked 28th Overall | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1973 Dolphins Dissed, Ranked 28th Overall

Yeah couldn’t believe it when I read the full list. Started at 1 with a big smile and as I went through the numbers I was just getting more and more annoyed until I landed at 28 and was just pi***d off. They got it right with 72i think but justice for 73.....

is there still people who care about this stuff, it's what have you done for me lately 2019 bro.
As a fan, it's great to not only root for the current team but celebrate the heritage. Some of us actually were even alive and Dolphins fans in those days...we rooted for them when we weren't walking to school, uphill in a blizzard...both ways.

Yeah couldn’t believe it when I read the full list. Started at 1 with a big smile and as I went through the numbers I was just getting more and more annoyed until I landed at 28 and was just pi***d off. They got it right with 72i think but justice for 73.....
That top five is pretty hard to argue with:
1. 1972 Dolphins
2. 1985 Bears
3. 1978 Steelers (maybe a tad high)
4. 1994 49ers (not sure this was their best team, but definitely top 10 quality)
5. 1989 49ers (I would say their best team)

Six through 10 are very debatable. The 2007 Patriots have to be a lot lower based on losing the super bowl. That's not fair to teams that won it. I think #8 is a little high for those 1976 Raiders as well.

It's tough to put a list together obviously. In a sense, there are three NFL's. The NFL before the super bowl. The NFL during the super bowl and the NFL once the salary cap started. You really can't compare the salary cap with the restrictions teams have to prior teams.

The youngers are hungry I can understand their frustrations (I haven’t seen a fins SB victory either) but some of their comments about forgetting their club heritage is blasphemy in my world. This doesn’t happen with the young soccer fans their club histories mean a lot to them in Europe.

The bit I don’t get is the ‘we weren’t around and it was a Long time ago so who cares/what gives’ attitude which kind of makes you think they’re tw@ts. We only have one golden generation to date fellas it was called circa early 70’s 72/73 like it love it or leave, the pats are just down the road somewhere.........

That top five is pretty hard to argue with:
1. 1972 Dolphins
2. 1985 Bears
3. 1978 Steelers (maybe a tad high)
4. 1994 49ers (not sure this was their best team, but definitely top 10 quality)
5. 1989 49ers (I would say their best team)

Six through 10 are very debatable. The 2007 Patriots have to be a lot lower based on losing the super bowl. That's not fair to teams that won it. I think #8 is a little high for those 1976 Raiders as well.

It's tough to put a list together obviously. In a sense, there are three NFL's. The NFL before the super bowl. The NFL during the super bowl and the NFL once the salary cap started. You really can't compare the salary cap with the restrictions teams have to prior teams.

I’d be curious to know your top 20 applying your criteria taking the points you’ve made into account

Those early 70's teams are the reason I became a Dolphins Fan. Back then there wasn't an internet or cell phone technology. Just good ole' fashion TV and Newspaper reporting. I was just 9 yrs old at the time and been a fan ever since. Back then they had Flipper the Dolphin swimming in a tank, in the back corner of the endzone and every time Miami was televised back to New York, where I was living, my entire week revolved around getting to see Miami play. But that 3 year run in 72-74 were special to me.

... At least they are 19-0 in Nicaragua hahahhahah
tenor.gif

I’d be curious to know your top 20 applying your criteria taking the points you’ve made into account
I started doing that awhile back. I'll have to see if I can find my notes. My subjective top 10 would be pretty similar to this one. I actually think the top 10 is pretty good, but it goes a little awry from there in my opinion.

I remember using the passer rating for minus the passer rating against and the 1962 Packers came up #1 with that criteria. That seems a little too simplified, but also is the one number that a lot of statisticians point to. Kind of like WAR in baseball. Also, seemed to favor teams from way back more than current teams.

The youngers are hungry I can understand their frustrations (I haven’t seen a fins SB victory either) but some of their comments about forgetting their club heritage is blasphemy in my world. This doesn’t happen with the young soccer fans their club histories mean a lot to them in Europe.

The bit I don’t get is the ‘we weren’t around and it was a Long time ago so who cares/what gives’ attitude which kind of makes you think they’re tw@ts. We only have one golden generation to date fellas it was called circa early 70’s 72/73 like it love it or leave, the pats are just down the road somewhere.........
In their defense, it's hard to care too much about the NFL before your time. My dad talks about the 1958 Colts and others talk about the 1962 Packers. I respect the conversations, but not having seen them it's really hard to know how good they actually were.

Those early 70's teams are the reason I became a Dolphins Fan. Back then there wasn't an internet or cell phone technology. Just good ole' fashion TV and Newspaper reporting. I was just 9 yrs old at the time and been a fan ever since. Back then they had Flipper the Dolphin swimming in a tank, in the back corner of the endzone and every time Miami was televised back to New York, where I was living, my entire week revolved around getting to see Miami play. But that 3 year run in 72-74 were special to me.
I think you could stack up that three or five year run Miami had with any other dynasty and it comes up pretty close to the top. Making it to three super bowls in a row during an era where you had to go on the road during the playoffs is especially impressive.

Despite the losses the '73 team was better, only a fluke play derailed that.

The 2007 pats team is one of the strongest teams I’ve seen in my lifetime (30 years). The best team doesn’t always win the super bowl in the nfl. This isn’t an NBA 7 game series where the best team always comes out on top. Losing that game doesn’t make them any less good, it’s just a slight knock on their resume. They likely are number one had they won that game. Don’t be a homer.

2 points:

1. The only differences between the teams were Briscoe over Twilley at WR, merc at RB full-time and Griese healthy all year.

2. I am not confident at all that a Morrall-led team could have gone to
Oakland and won. If that game had happened in '72 we likely would not have been undefeated. There is no question that we caught a break schedule-wise in '72. For that matter, if Griese had been out @ Minnesota, that also could easily have been a loss, too.

Last edited:
Fins were 67-16-1 from 70-75, along with 8-3 in playoffs. 75-19-1 aint too bad.
1 Super Bowl loss, and 2 wins.

Back
Top Bottom