1981 Playoff Game Sd @ Miami In The Nfln At 230pm | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1981 Playoff Game Sd @ Miami In The Nfln At 230pm

Cool... I was at that game with my best friend his wife and a couple others.... Orange Bowl corrugated seats lol... passing around the Jack Daniels under the blanket lol... fun game... great memory

One of the greatest playoff games ever at the old Orange Bowl is on now so for those too young here's your chance to watch a great game even thought we lost.

I'd rather watch a lousy playoff game that we won....

I have this game on DVD. Although we lost, it was an instant classic. I was 10 at the time and my heart was broken. Hated the Chargers for many years because of it.

Down 24-0 early and fought back to be down 7 after the famous ‘hook and lateral’ play from Strock to Harris to Nathan. I get chills when I hear Don Criqui announce it.

Of course the Dolphins should have won. The Lionel James TD in the back corner (when there was two receivers mistakenly in the area) was a huge stroke of luck and of course the Uwe misses.

Wow. Fouts was a savage in that game-tying late drive. Wow.

Why is it in all the greatest games ever played Miami loses? LOL. That game was really something, maybe a tad below the Sea of Hands game against Oakland as both those teams were just loaded, super bowl quality squads.

Best, worst game or worst, best game I've ever seen.

Still don't know why some teams don't employ a hook and lateral in their playbook.

Worked well for Boise St. as well.

I only saw this game recently. Even though it happend about 35 years before i became a Fin, all the players have long since retired and i knew we lost, that first quarter is still the most horrifying/ridiculous thing i've seen!

I have this game on DVD. Although we lost, it was an instant classic. I was 10 at the time and my heart was broken. Hated the Chargers for many years because of it.

Down 24-0 early and fought back to be down 7 after the famous ‘hook and lateral’ play from Strock to Harris to Nathan. I get chills when I hear Don Criqui announce it.

Of course the Dolphins should have won. The Lionel James TD in the back corner (when there was two receivers mistakenly in the area) was a huge stroke of luck and of course the Uwe misses.
In those days, teams didn’t come back from 24-0. I know it happens every week nowadays but back then, it didn’t. Younger fans - it’s probably equivalent to coming back from 31-0 today or so. And we should have won the game. Strock got us in FG position at the end of the game and in OT and Uwe Von Shank missed twice.

I kicked a hole in my BR wall after that game and thus learned how to spackle.

Top 5 playoff game, perhaps top 2 of all time. Possibly the best.

Last edited:
San Diego has beat us twice in classic playoff games. The '94 playoff loss to them was a killer!

San Diego has beat us twice in classic playoff games. The '94 playoff loss to them was a killer!
Horrible. We did kick their asses a couple times in the playoffs as well. I recall thoroughly dominating them in ‘82 or ‘83 and getting revenge for the ‘81 game and then again in the early 90’s.

Back
Top Bottom