1st amendmetn isn't too big to the mod | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1st amendmetn isn't too big to the mod

Jason in LA

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Looks like the 1st amendment isn’t all that important to the mods here. I’m new around here, and I like this board. I get a kick out of the place. I’ve run some smack, but it’s been all in fun. I haven’t been offended to anything that has been said to me. Its fun to throw some smack back and forth while talking about football, and getting off topic a little bit at times. The only thing that has bothered me about this site is the mod ended a thread because he felt like it. A few of us were having a debate, with some light hearted smack. It was all in fun. Most of the debate was about football, and the Dolphins. We did get off topic a little bit. Then all of a sudden the mod shuts down the thread, in the middle of the argument. What the hell is that all about? This is a PG-13 board, and I have respected that, along with everybody else in the debate. There wasn’t any bad words, or anything that would offend anybody. But the mod feels like he has the power to control the board so much that he can stop any debate that he doesn’t like. The debate that he stopped was in the thread that said the Dolphins wouldn’t go undefeated. I guess anything against the Dolphins is off limits to talk about. This is BS to me. Everybody should have the right to talk about what they want to talk about. If it’s against the Dolphins, so be it. If it gets off topic, so be it. As long as it stays PG-13, than let people say what they want to say. We all come here to have a little fun, but then some mod kills the party. That’s BS. We shouldn’t have to watch what we say. The mod must be from Canada or some place that doesn’t have freedom of speech. He should stop trying to control the discussions. This post probably won’t stay up long. It’ll probably be closed, or moved. I wouldn’t be surprised if a post that said the Dolphins are going to suck this year would get closed too. Mods that control boards suck. Let us police ourselves. I’m sure we can all do that.

Just out of curiosity, what is the First Amendment?? Is it freedom of speech??

As for your argument, I would hazard a guess to say that there needs to be some sort of order, otherwise the board could well descend into a Dolphin Digest scenario. Of course another freedom which exists, is the freedom of choice....so you could find another board if you don't agree with the structure and organisation of this one.

That's unusual...only if something bad was said, would they end a thread..usually everyone gets to debate until they all blue in the face..I didn't read the rest of that thread, so I can't tell you what happen..but from what you stated that's not the norm..

First off, that "Mod" your referring to is the assistant administrator to this site. He is the number two kahuna right after Andrew.

Second the rules for Fin Heaven are a little more strict than the rules for other forums. The reason for this is to create a stable place for which everyone can talk.

If you feel like thrwoing down smack, by all means head on over to the smack forums, and enjoy.

Personal attacks I don't care how light hearted will NOT be tolerated. If you don't like the rules, feel free to go somewhere else.

Freedom of speech is for the U.S. Government. This is a private forums, in which you agreed to abide by the rules when you signed up. If you decide that now you don't like the rules...well you know what to do.

It's really simple. If you want to "smack" go to the smack forum.

Why is this so hard for you?:confused:

jason in LA....this board is run very well by the staff, the complaints are few and far between....and the number who agree with the way this site is run FAR outnumbers the people who don't, so going under the "can't please them all" theory, I'd say this site is running perfectly fine.

Now, to address your points....first, we have a very large site with almost 2000 members, we have various forums for persons to discuss different issues....We have these various forums for the simple fact that if someone wants to come here and read about the Dolphins then they have a forum to go and do ONLY that.....if we allowed anything to be talked about in the Dolphins forum then that wouldn't be fair to the members that have only a limited time on line to have to sift through all the "other" posts looking for dolphins news.
Second....the post that you were referring to strayed well off of Dolphins football and not only that had degenerated into two members slamming each others home town.... Had it gotten back on subject or looked like it was not going to end up in a fight, maybe wharf would have left it (you'll have to ask him for specifics) but it wasn't. Now I understand that you are upset that you couldn't get your slam of Orange County in before wharf closed it but, that's the kind of thing we were trying to avoid.

If you have any more problems with the way things are run here then feel free to take phinphan's advice but, we would certainly welcome anyone wishing to post their opinions in the proper forum.

just a side note....

canada actually has LESS cencorship than america.....sorry jason in la....haha but why didn't you use iraq or the sudan as an example of no freedom of speech? or even cuba!!!

Originally posted by dolfan87

Freedom of speech is for the U.S. Government. This is a private forums, in which you agreed to abide by the rules when you signed up. If you decide that now you don't like the rules...well you know what to do.

Exactly, FOS is reserved to allow people to voice their opinion in a public forum, ie media, soap box on the corner etc. This is a private forum and the mods can do what they want. Which is why they have the authority to block people or stop threads. In my dealings with mmods they have been very fair and so why don'y you pm the mod who trashed it and ask him why it happened

This thread has nothing to do with football so it should be moved but I won't do it because I am not sure if the other mods want me to or not.

The Miami Dolphins board is for talking about Miami Dolphins football. If you want to talk about how Orange County is boring, then talk about that in the Lounge, not here. The Lounge is the place to talk about (almost) everything non-football.

Personally, I think locking it was the right thing to do...

If it was really smack it would have been moved to the smack forum and like you said it wasn't, and I think it was locked because it was dead. Going back and forth re-saying the same things with the same people and the same points of view. Re-treads of earlier posts, over and over.

And inFINSible said it quite nicely... Even in the short 2 months I've been here, it is easy to tell this board is run right!

Originally posted by MNFINFAN

. In my dealings with mmods they have been very fair and so why don'y you pm the mod who trashed it and ask him why it happened
He did.....well sort of apparently he didn't like the answer and is trying to drum up support for a revolution.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
This thread has nothing to do with football so it should be moved but I won't do it because I am not sure if the other mods want me to or not.

The Miami Dolphins board is for talking about Miami Dolphins football. If you want to talk about how Orange County is boring, then talk about that in the Lounge, not here. The Lounge is the place to talk about (almost) everything non-football.

I think you should leave it here a minute so that other members can address this.....I think jason in LA desrves that at least.:D

Lets define the first amendment.... aka Free Speech.... everyone has the freedom to say what they want, when they want. There are indirect consequences to what anyone says...

i.e. The Dixie Chicks... Bush or the gov't can't punish them, however, he the rest of America who does not agree with them can freely not buy or listen to them anymore. Yeah its punishment, but, they said what they wanted.

This board no matter how public you think it is has rules (TOS). It is a PRIVATE area. The 1st amendment does not apply here. The TOS and what the mods feel is inappropriate is king over all else.

I dunno what has ticked you off...but... there is PLENTY of anti-dolphin talk on this board. Generally you are free to say anything but...

1. No PERSONAL attacks
2. Miami Dolphins is for serious talk (NO SMACK)
3. Smack is permitted but ONLY on the Smack forum
4. Place posts in the appropriate forum

Stick to those rules and your posts will stay. There is a forum for many topics here... there is even an R-rated smack forum if you desire to participate... Its not hard to comply with rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
First and foremost, we didn't close the thread because we "felt" like it. It was ended because it started to result in personal attacks. We let the thread go on for a couple of days, but it didn't stop, thus it was closed. Make sure you have that clear.

We usually let people police themselves, but we have to step in. As inFins pointed out, this is a large board, and we can't have people throwing one attack after another; in fact, that's not tolerated.

Another thing, you can talk about whatever you want to talk about, as long as it's in the appropriate forum. It's not that difficult, anything NOT Dolphins related (like this thread, which will be moved) does not belong in this forum. If it's smack... it goes in the smack forum. If it's just talk, then it goes in The Lounge. If it's a complaint... well, you guessed it, we have a forum for that as well.

So, don't be pulling that here. Furthermore, as Gram pointed out, WharfRat is not a moderator, he is an administrator, he is my right hand man.

In closing, this thread will only be closed if it gets out of control, or if it results in a ton of personal attacks. In addition, feel free to talk about whatever you want as long as it abides by the TOS that you agreed to when you registered. If you need to be refreshed, head on over to the Complaints forum. Lastly, remember that we have many forums for ALL topics, just put them in the right place.

Now I am running late for work, so I will head out.

Sincerely,
Andrew Tatum

Back
Top Bottom