1st round pass rusher has to be pick! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1st round pass rusher has to be pick!

I'm going to hire you as GM because I also think that's the perfect scenario. If we could somehow fit in Chase Thomas and still get the receiver and corner along with Werner and Carradine that would be a championship type draft.

i did a mock awhile back where if I recall it went like this... I only bring it up because it had your man chase thomas in there... hahaha
1. werner
2a. deandre hopkins
2b. chase thomas
3a. desmond trufant
3b. tank carradine
4. jordan reed
5. ryan swope
6. travis bond
7. jordan rodgers

in that scenario... I still liked the FSU double up on the DE spots.. except I had tank at 3b instead of 3a... although i have since changed my mind and just want to pull the trigger on him at 3a instead of risking him being gone... chase thomas was in there over a guard I have pegged in there now. I have dropped bond from my latest idea, and plugged cooper in instead of thomas... choosing to grab a linebacker later from ISU, jake knott.

jordan reed has since been replaced by zach ertz. although I now have nobody penciled in at CB... I can't get comfortable with anybody at cb the longer I wait, and although I know its a pretty big need, I keep not adressing it.... nothing is final for awhile at least hahahaha...

Odrick is a natural 4-3 DT . . . We need better athletes. CB, S, LB, DE, TE, WR, RB all on the table for me and I don't care which way we go as long as we take the best player at the time.

Agreed. Odrick as the 3 Technique and Big Paul at the nose has incredible potential.

Miami does need a playmaker/athlete/pass rusher. The latest Walter football mock has Dion Jordan (Oregon DE) going to the phins @ 14. He reminds me of JPP but with more experience at the college level.

The phins could double up in the Beaver State by taking Oregon St WR Markus Wheaton in the 3rd.

I like our front 7 moreso as run stoppers. Besides Wake we don't have anyone that puts the fear in opposing quarterbacks, though. I really think that is the key to this draft. We can compete with NE if we can constantly pressure Tom Brady. As our team sits now, we can't do that. Obviously, we need to add receivers and find some offensive firepower to help Ryan Tannehill as well.
I do agree we need another pass rusher...but Im all for taking the BPA in the 1st. So if Keenan Allen and Dee Milliner are on the board...for me its going to depend on what pass rushers are available. We want to use the Giants defensive idea where we put constant pressure on Brady...but at the same time the Giants have weapons all around Eli. For me..this defense needs improvement obviously...but this team is only going to go as far as Ryan Tannehill takes them. Get this kid weapons....lots of them (it would be nice to get help in FA)

i did a mock awhile back where if I recall it went like this... I only bring it up because it had your man chase thomas in there... hahaha
1. werner
2a. deandre hopkins
2b. chase thomas
3a. desmond trufant
3b. tank carradine
4. jordan reed
5. ryan swope
6. travis bond
7. jordan rodgers

in that scenario... I still liked the FSU double up on the DE spots.. except I had tank at 3b instead of 3a... although i have since changed my mind and just want to pull the trigger on him at 3a instead of risking him being gone... chase thomas was in there over a guard I have pegged in there now. I have dropped bond from my latest idea, and plugged cooper in instead of thomas... choosing to grab a linebacker later from ISU, jake knott.

jordan reed has since been replaced by zach ertz. although I now have nobody penciled in at CB... I can't get comfortable with anybody at cb the longer I wait, and although I know its a pretty big need, I keep not adressing it.... nothing is final for awhile at least hahahaha...
That is an incredible draft. I think if the Dolphins pulled that off they would instantly compete with NE for the division. I do think Trufant could end up early 2nd round, but other than that the players seem to be mocked about where they are projected.

I do agree we need another pass rusher...but Im all for taking the BPA in the 1st. So if Keenan Allen and Dee Milliner are on the board...for me its going to depend on what pass rushers are available. We want to use the Giants defensive idea where we put constant pressure on Brady...but at the same time the Giants have weapons all around Eli. For me..this defense needs improvement obviously...but this team is only going to go as far as Ryan Tannehill takes them. Get this kid weapons....lots of them (it would be nice to get help in FA)
When you look at the Giants you have to wonder why they don't win more games. That team is loaded. I guess the bottom line is they win when they have to, but they nearly missed the playoffs during both super bowl title years. But to the point, yes best player makes sense. We have a lot of needs to fill. I think there is a really good chance that the best player ends up being a DE/pass rusher. Miami definitely needs to draft two wide receivers with their first 5 picks and give Tannehill some weapons. The Dolphins have to get a wr that can stretch the defense and that more physical #1 type. I think we go primarily for depth in free agency, but I'd definitely like to see the team add one quality starter. Ideally it might be a corner because I don't know if there's that much talent there in the draft.

I believe Free Agency comes first, so we may address WR then . . . atleast to the degree that our hand is not forced to reach for a WR. I tend to agree that if the stars aligned correctly, I'd hope for a pass rusher with that first pick and comeback with a CB/WR combo in round 2.[/QUOTE]Kdawg,i'm with you on that. I also wouldn't mind a FS/WR combo in the 2nd rd if there's a FS worth it we like. Baccari Rambo in the 3rd's also good with me if he's there, at say, our first 3rd rd pick. Pairing him with his fellow Bulldog, Reshad, wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Question, if this is such a deep draft in quality pass rushers, assuming we pick early, should´nt we focus on positions of need which are not so deep, in order to maximize the priviledge of picking early??

That's very rational and you're right to an extent. However, if you consider what the Dolphins lack, it makes sense to chase star players where you can find them. Miami has no shortage of starters that "can play in this league". They lack depth but as for the starters and heavy rotational people, there's a bunch of them that are ok football players. What they lack are play makers, stars. Those are also the hardest to get.

So if you're staring at a corner class that only has a few good ones but even the good ones (Milliner, Banks, Trufant, etc) aren't necessarily star players...and then you're looking at a defensive end class that is deep and strong at the top and you know there are some star players that will come out of it...if stars are what you need then maybe you ought to get the guy you consider to be the BEST of a GREAT class. It would stand to reason.

That's very rational and you're right to an extent. However, if you consider what the Dolphins lack, it makes sense to chase star players where you can find them. Miami has no shortage of starters that "can play in this league". They lack depth but as for the starters and heavy rotational people, there's a bunch of them that are ok football players. What they lack are play makers, stars. Those are also the hardest to get.

So if you're staring at a corner class that only has a few good ones but even the good ones (Milliner, Banks, Trufant, etc) aren't necessarily star players...and then you're looking at a defensive end class that is deep and strong at the top and you know there are some star players that will come out of it...if stars are what you need then maybe you ought to get the guy you consider to be the BEST of a GREAT class. It would stand to reason.

I totally agree with you CK. We have lots of good football players but we need those guys who help other guys look better than they actually are. Ed Reed has made normal corners in Baltimore look better than they are for years. If we could get a stud Pass Rusher, the next Aldon Smith on this team then all the sudden our secondary is going to look so much better from just the pressure. Look at yesteday, we actually got pretty good pressure on Brady, 4 sacks when he only had 15 on the year is pretty damn good. But imagine we had 6, feet get real happy. Or if we went with Manti and he actually covered TEs and backs better then what we got, our entire defense looks better. Same goes on the other side of the ball, one nice receiver changes everything on this team. Look what Dez did last night, talent alone leaving his head out of it, he's crazy. We don't need a true number one in the numbers we need a true number one in the presence. Some who the other team has to account for at all times. I just want the next guy making highlights all the time, offense/defense dont care, just need more studs. We have lots of pieces, we are missing the game changers.

Dez Bryant has had his problems but even his bad games are better than most guys good games. People love to pick on the guy because they know the sky is the limit. It's a lot like Brandon Marshall. We pick on a guy for dropping a ball that 98% of other receivers wouldn't have even been open to catch.

I want terrance williams @ WR, but all depends where we pick we may have to trade our first to get some additional seconds we need WR DE, OLB, CB, S

BPA should be the pick when you have identified a QB to build around. If Manti Teo manages to fall to us we should run up and draft him. If he isn't available it is BPA aside from quarterback. We need elite talent in a desperate way, no more reaching for need.

Anyone notice how much OV plays linebacker? That suggests to me that that's 1less DE that we thought we had, but one more coverage LBer than we thought we have.

Imo, DE is a must in the first, like stated before just look at the Aldo and JPP affect! They make multiple positions better. If we could snag Banks or Trufant in the early 2nd and Cooper, an unpopular but super smart selection for this offense with the 2nd 2nd round pick. Carradine for more rush depth and Steadman Bailey as a potential stud WR in the Steve Smith mold, he's strong and explosive and produces at a big time program. I like Ertz and Lutzenwhatever as TE's in the 4th. In the 5th-7th let's add zbs Kline and more depth at corner to compete with Sanford and McCann and Carrol. Haven't had the time lately to delve into the 5th round and beyond....I agree with you guys that its time.....well way past time to add some real athletes to our roster! We have been so unathletic compared to the best teams, that's got to change!

Kline was meant as o line, Aldo as Aldon.

in free agency we've got to add a WR and athletic zbs o line. Would like one of the CB's from Baltimore like Cary Williams or Graham not sure how long Graham is signed for. We should spend some of jake longs dough and Reggie's dough to better the team..sounds odd but we all prolly agree on that since the beginning of the season, yeah? Anyways looking forward to y'all's thoughts

for me, anthony brown or tyler eifert will suffice for now no matter where we draft. people underestimate the value of a two te set where both can b can block. this team needs power on offense. Get your cb in rd. 2

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Kline was meant as o line, Aldo as Aldon.

in free agency we've got to add a WR and athletic zbs o line. Would like one of the CB's from Baltimore like Cary Williams or Graham not sure how long Graham is signed for. We should spend some of jake longs dough and Reggie's dough to better the team..sounds odd but we all prolly agree on that since the beginning of the season, yeah? Anyways looking forward to y'all's thoughts
Dwayne Bowe will be a fin imo.

As much as I agree with this general approach. It has to be said that our team is clearly better on D than it is on O, by some margin. We also have a rookie QB people consistently complain has no weapons. Therefore we must fill the most pressing need first, and that's clearly WR. Obviously we could fill this through FA although I'm not as in love with Wallace as a lot on here are and Bowe's had very much a down year. FA dictates what we should do in the first round still.

Back
Top Bottom