20 player brought in before draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

20 player brought in before draft

Lee2000

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just wanted to point something out that Wanny said at post-draft conference. (I should have bet him LOL)

Wanny said the he expected some of those 20 players to sign as free agents after the draft. He said he bet on it. Well, guess what. None of them did (don't count Jenkins who was drafted).

All of those players signed else where or haven't signed yet.

If someone would post those names again I would appreciate it, but I can tell you all the WRs signed with other teams, the OLs from BYU and the east coast haven't been signed, Mikell from Boise State signed elsewhere, the DT from Utah has not signed, and, you get the point.

None of them signed!!!!! (ps., I wanted Mikell)

Thanks,

Lee2000

So?

Is that a problem...we did bring in 12 FAs...
including a couple of names in Hardmon and Bellamy.

My Point is......

There was a strategy to bring in players with the hopes of winning them over. This strategy was highlighted as different and better (low round/free-agent types). A few were slated for potential 2nd and 3rd round selections. But most were not.

And..... we didn't sign any of them. Jenkins was drafter and he was among that number. Otherwise, none of them signed. I find that funny, and a reflection the strategy did not work.

Lee2000

Maybe...although we might have like the guys we signed

...um...well...better.

Just a thought.

I see your point though.

20 players

I usually ignore people who make comments in a negative tone (e.g., dumb thread), but I will respond to you:

1. Wanny and company tried a new philosophy in allowed visits prior to draft. In the past they would often invite players they knew they could not sign. This year they brought in players they felt they had a shot at as FAs.

2. Wanny said in his post draft new conference that he bet that some of those 20 would sign when asked about it.

3. None of the 20 signed.

4. I like some of the players we signed and have no problem with that.

5. I am just pointing out that the strategy did not work.

6. I would have thought that the Dolphins would have brought in more LBs and another DT.

So, with all this said, I am pointing out that a strategy didn't quite work as it was expected to. That is all.

By the way, do you think other RFAs will be brought in? Not many unsigned at this point.

Lee2000

Re: My Point is......

Originally posted by Lee2000
There was a strategy to bring in players with the hopes of winning them over. This strategy was highlighted as different and better (low round/free-agent types). A few were slated for potential 2nd and 3rd round selections. But most were not.

And..... we didn't sign any of them. Jenkins was drafter and he was among that number. Otherwise, none of them signed. I find that funny, and a reflection the strategy did not work.

Lee2000

Miami is a Super Bowl team with lots of superior talent... I don't know if this thread was an attempt to bash Dave Wannstedt in his strategy or what this was all about, but try to look at what did work this off-season??
Miami traded a 6th rounder for Seau
Miami brought in Terrell Buckley at practically the Vet Minimum
Miami Brought in Zgonina at Vet Minimum
Wannstedt did'nt buy into the high priced players and did very well considering the first FA Miami went for chose to go for the more money.. And Finally
Miami re-signed all of their 2002 starters except for Gadsden..

Any questions??
There are other potential signings Miami will make so this list isn't finished...

HOORAH:drinker:

20 players

Hello,

This thread was not meant to bash Wanny. It was strictly an observation and nothing more. Just a Paul Harvey moment. LOL

I am a Dolphin supporter and I have a funny feeling that these draft picks will pan out bigger than expected.

Go Fins,

Lee2000

I get it Lee but how do you know that none signed?.....I have no clue who was on that list...???

20 players

Hello,

Reasonable question. There is a post that is some 16 to 18 pages back that list all official visits to teams. Hunter and Pia were on that list and were drafted as well as Jenkins. Ford, a wr from Toledo was drafted I believe. But most others were not. There was an OT from BYU (Herring), safety from Boise St. (Mikell), Wrs from Minnesota and LSU, OL from east coast, Jackson, Smith, DT from Utah, and some others that may not have been identified. The cb from Utah St. was a visitor and signed with Washington. There may be some other identified players, but I do not believe any of them were from that group. If anyone knows I would greatly apprecite it. But the most telling snub came from this core group.

With all this said, I like the group that was signed, and some mock drafts had us taking Hardman late in the draft.

I will say this. I am from Mississippi, and here is the word on Lee and Banks.

Lee is a misfit in Sherrill's offense. Never allowed to bloom.
Banks was a Fred Smoot wannabe. He never played to the level he thought he did. This is straight from MSU faithful.

Do any of you expect more rookie free agents to sign? Just curious. The DE from Miami that has been injured has not signed. And, I do not think we have enough LBs and TEs on the roster. My opinion.

Lee2000

I totally understand what your point was and the reason behind this post.

I thank you for posting it actually. It shows that the strategy we've employed this season to get more players we like and to get to know the players we actually had a shot at either drafting or getting as UDFA's.

This shows that maybe the strategy didn't work and we should continue to use our limited number of interviews as a way of getting to know the better players in teh draft for the time of if and when we have a shot at them as either FA's or unexpected slides in the draft.

To use your interviews on players you didn't deem worthy of a draft pick, and hope the experience will persuade them to sign here and this doesn't work, is a waste of the interviews IMO.

During this time the player gets a feel for the system, coaches, teammates and how they'd fit in overall with the team and if they feel comfortable there. I believe this helps in many areas, but obviously the strategy was a waste.

I kinda agree with CRAZYDOLFAN here, maybe I'm missing the point, but to me it's pointless. Does anyone care if we didn't sign any of those guys? I don't. I just care about our record next season.

I care pretty much about every aspect of the team. Of course the thing I MOST care about is their record, but I do take note of when a team employs a strategy and then that strategy doesn't work.

It's pretty pointless anyway as at most one player would make the team out of the UDFA.

Back
Top Bottom