Joey Harrington Lions
Patrick Ramsey Redskins
2003 Carson Palmer Bengals
Byron Leftwich Jaguars
Kyle Boller Ravens
Rex Grossman Bears

20 busts....7 good/average.....7 franchise QBs....9 INC

7 out of 43 were worth a first round selection...about 17%

Nearly 50% were wasted draft picks...nearly 65%, if you don't count the 9 INCs in the total....

Still want to throw our number 1 at a QB??

Originally posted by ckparrothead
At Phil Rivers? Without batting an eyelash, yes.
:lol: Knew that was coming....

What makes him immune to bustitis?

Originally posted by inFINSible
:lol: Knew that was coming....

What makes him immune to bustitis?
I don't know :dunno:, Rivers c/become the next Kelly Stouffer :evil:

I count at least 13 who ended up successful pros at some point in their career (which doesnt even count Maddox), with about 7 or 8 guys with incomplete grades where some of them already look pretty durn good (Grossman, Leftwich, Ramsey, Harrington, Carr) and the others still either haven't played yet (Palmer) or they have a chance to turn it around (Boller). Tim Couch isn't a bust yet, and he hasn't been the worst QB in the world since he started in Cleveland either.

If a guy ends up a successful pro just because he didn't do it with the team that drafted him doesn't mean he's a bust. Most often that means the team failed either to utilize him properly, or they failed to groom him properly.

tim couch is absolutely a bust, if he was on our team since he started and we were now begging someone to take him for a 2nd round pick... you wouldnt be calling him a bust? come on CK, i respect your posts, but be fair. if the dolphins drafted tim couch that early with so much promise and he had the same career up until now you would absolutely be labelling him a bust.

As for guys like maddox, do you really care if they were successful but with a team other than that who drafted them? Thats like saying if we draft rivers and he sucks early he could leave and come back, then be great for another team, so hes not a bust.

I wish it came down to us drafting andrews or rivers, if i wasn't at work id bring up the list of OTs in the first round, bet the success rate is far better...go big early if we can Andrews or gallery if at all possible would be my preference

You see the way a guy plays and sometimes you just have a good feeling that he can do it in the pros, thats all. He's been doing it against top level college competition for 4 years. Usually when you see guys of his type with the ulta production, they have a lower YPA (like Drew Brees) which means they did it with dinks and dunks. Or, they do it against lower level competition (Ben Roethlisberger). Rivers has the high YPA which means he was indeed throwing the ball downfield, the high accuracy which means during games he has high accuracy at most distances not just short, and he did it against top college level competition so the athleticism he went up against is on a par with what he'll see in the NFL. People can't see past the release though. He only got 4 balls batted down in all his pass attempts at NC State. The reason I don't believe he's a bust is because I honestly think Scouts are misplacing him in the draft.

He should be the #1 choice overall.

Tim Couch is not a bust until he's a perennial backup or out of a job. He's been no worst in Cleveland than Jay Fiedler and plenty of people seem all too willing to keep giving HIM shots to win a championship with a good team. Couch has never had a good team...and his 2nd round asking price in trade is evidence to me that he is most definitely NOT a bust. A bust would be Cade McNown, traded to us for a 6th rounder...or Jim Druckenmiller, traded to us for a 7th rounder.

If we draft a guy and he ends up a good pro elsewhere thats our coaches' fault. It is a completely separate issue from the merits of drafting a first round QB.

I would put Couch as a bust once he is released/traded/cut from the Browns.

Busts:
Wayne Peace
Ken Hobart
chuck Long
kelly stouffer
tim rosenbaugh
dan McGwire
Andre Ware
Todd Marinovich
dave Klingler
Dave Brown
Tommy Maddox(one good season, 11 years after he was drafted)
Rick Mirer
Heath Schuler
Ryan leaf
Jim Drunkenmiller
Akili Smith
cade mcNown
on the bubble..
Steve walsh
Jeff George

*shudder*

decent/Good (not worth a first round pick)
Bernie kosar
Chrill Miller
Vinnie testes(bust, for the team that chose him)
Kerry Collins
Trent dilfer(Bust for the team that chose him)
Jim Harbaugh
Tim Couch

franchise:
Steve Young
troy aikman
drew Bledsoe
Steve mcnair
on the bubble...
Donovan McNabb
Duante Culpper

From 2000 to the present, no one has proven anything either way...that's why I say they are INC....

Kelly Stouffer and Dan McGwire bring back good memories of seahawks sucking. Throw in Stan Gellbach and you have the worst bunch of quarterbacks ever on a team.

If we draft a guy and he ends up a good pro elsewhere thats our coaches' fault. It is a completely separate issue from the merits of drafting a first round QB.
No....I gotta disagree....sometimes it takes these guys years before that lightbulb comes on, no matter who coaches them..that's why I think cherry picking experienced QBs or signing experienced FA-gents is the way to go...

JMO, I know not everyone agrees with that but, there's 32 GMs in the league and I guarantee they don't all agree either...right. :dunno:

Usually when you see guys of his type with the ulta production, they have a lower YPA (like Drew Brees) which means they did it with dinks and dunks. Or, they do it against lower level competition (Ben Roethlisberger). Rivers has the high YPA which means he was indeed throwing the ball downfield, the high accuracy which means during games he has high accuracy at most distances not just short,

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2170378

The offense Manning played in at Ole Miss is more like an NFL system than the one Rivers operated at N.C. State. Rivers estimates he was in the shotgun on 70 percent of his passing attempts last season. Many of his throws were dinks and dunks.

Which is why you are going to see more and more teams start doing what Green Bay has done in their attempts to draft late round quarterbacks and develop them.

Of course, before that happens, you are going to see more teams do what Miami did this season. Trade a draft pick for a young quarterback that has gone through the process above.

Within the next year or two, you are going to hear about teams trading and starting guys like David Garrard and Craig Nall.

Back
Top Bottom