2003 OL Rankings! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2003 OL Rankings!

Surferosa

Run to Daylight
Reaction score
Footballguys.com's Chris Smith has the Phins unit ranked 3rd in the league.

http://footballguys.com/smith_2003offensivelines.htm

. Miami Dolphins
2002: 1st in rushing (142.7), 4th in YPC (4.9), 7th in sacks (25), 9th in PA per sack (19.2)

C-Tim Ruddy
G-Jamie Nails
G-Todd Perry
T-Mark Dixon
T-Todd Wade

Last season, the Dolphins offensive line had some injury woes to deal with. However they managed to do a solid job both protecting the quarterback and opening holes for running back Ricky Williams. The Dolphins had the most rushing yardage of any team in the AFC. The starting five are a veteran bunch with over 32 years of experience and if healthy should be one of the stronger units. Mark Dixon was one of the lowest paid starting tackles in the NFL but performed as one of the better tackles. Jamie Nails revitalized his career and had an outstanding season.

The backups are young and talented, led by Seth McKinney and this seasons draft picks, Wade Smith and Taylor Whitley. Down the road, each of these three players will be given every opportunity to start but for now they will learn behind the veteran unit.

Latest News

LG Jamie Nails, who is recovering from a torn Achilles' tendon, worked the up-tempo, two-minute drills during the final offseason workouts without any issues. Nails kept himself in decent shape during his layoff. Still, he could be held back some at the start of camp, just to make sure he doesn't try to do too much too soon.

Rushing: 2nd in NFL
Passing: 11th in NFL

Don't take these rankings too seriuosly.

Up here in Packer country, the line is criticized quite a bit and Favre has been getting pounded for a few years now. Ranking them 2nd overall baffles me. I guess still good to see Miami as #3 instead of #30 though, right?

Geoff in WI

Agree with you Geoff. I just like when people look at a line's play based on thier production, rather than how big names the unit fields. The Dolphins OL was grossly underrated last year for exactly that reason - because it lacked big name players with huge signing bonuses and pro bowl credentials. Yet they were undoubtedly effective last year, both in the running and passing game.

Last year Merril Hoge claimed that the Phins OL was the best in the league based on their production. I dont know about such a lofty title, but its interesting that opinions can vary so much, even among "experts".

This line was excellent at run blocking last year, that goes with out argument but the pass protection last year was another story. Judging strictly by the number of sacks given up, it would lead you to believe that they were a good pass blocking unit but, anyone who watched this team last season knows that that isn't exactly true. They were average at best.

It's nice that someone thinks that we have a top 2 OL, but, from what I can tell this guy is ranking us on stats and experience and not necessarily from actually seeing them be great.

They are nowhere near the #3 unit in the league. They are middle-of-the-pack at best in pass blocking. And they are average-above average in run blocking.

Simply put, our guys up front are overpowered far too often to be considered among the elite. You want to see the best lines?? Check out Kansas City and Pittsburgh (might change without Gandy). New Orleans should also have a stout line this year.

I dont think they are using performance to judge this, either. There is no way Buffalo should be so high.

Originally posted by Muck
They are nowhere near the #3 unit in the league. They are middle-of-the-pack at best in pass blocking. And they are average-above average in run blocking.

Simply put, our guys up front are overpowered far too often to be considered among the elite. You want to see the best lines?? Check out Kansas City and Pittsburgh (might change without Gandy). New Orleans should also have a stout line this year.

The stats speak for themself, Muck.

I don't know why we are so worried about our OL this year. Yes, we have some new guys as our depth, but the starting 5 are all at the top of their game. I mean come on guys, we produced the leading rusher last year!

I really like that we didn't give up many sacks last year. Hopefully we can do the same this year... sacks can either make or break a game.

Agree Gonk....I truely believe that this OL when healthly are a top 10 OL in the league (starters). If this ranking is judging depth of the OL , then we run into problems, that would drop our rating a bunch...maybe down to the 20's!

Well, if only one guy goes down I think we should still be fine because we got Seth McKinney and I believe he's eligible to play C, T and G. If another guy goes down and we have to put in Smith or Whitley, then we are in trouble. Hopefully they'll get enough reps in the preseason games that they will be a little experienced if they were called to play.

We have an above average run blocking line, and an average pass blocking line. The line did make some great holes for Ricky last year, but at times Williams made the line look a lot better than they actually were.

Originally posted by Gonk

The stats speak for themself, Muck.

I don't know why we are so worried about our OL this year. Yes, we have some new guys as our depth, but the starting 5 are all at the top of their game. I mean come on guys, we produced the leading rusher last year!

I really like that we didn't give up many sacks last year. Hopefully we can do the same this year... sacks can either make or break a game.

In this case, they don't. The low sack totals are a direct result of Jay Fiedler's ability to escape and get rid of the ball.

Remember last year (2001)?? Remember how ravaged our OL was by injuries?? Remember how often Jay Fiedler was hit and harassed that year?? I know we all do. It was ridiculous. And yet, Jay was only sacked 27 times. Then again, we ranked 29th league-wide in pass attempts that year. But still, I'd love to see the number of hurries and pressures he had.

Poor pass blocking was a major reason why we could never get the deep game going in 2002. It was hard because Jay rarely had time to let the receivers run those deep routes. For us to be successful, they have got to step it up from a pass blocking standpoint. Ricky will take care of them in the run game.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
We have an above average run blocking line, and an average pass blocking line. The line did make some great holes for Ricky last year, but at times Williams made the line look a lot better than they actually were.
Agreed. Also don't forget that Fiedler is one of the better scrambling quarterbacks. It's an excellent example of how the statistics may belie the actual facts.

Originally posted by Muck

In this case, they don't. The low sack totals are a direct result of Jay Fiedler's ability to escape and get rid of the ball.

Remember last year (2001)?? Remember how ravaged our OL was by injuries?? Remember how often Jay Fiedler was hit and harassed that year?? I know we all do. It was ridiculous. And yet, Jay was only sacked 27 times. Then again, we ranked 29th league-wide in pass attempts that year. But still, I'd love to see the number of hurries and pressures he had.

Poor pass blocking was a major reason why we could never get the deep game going in 2002. It was hard because Jay rarely had time to let the receivers run those deep routes. For us to be successful, they have got to step it up from a pass blocking standpoint. Ricky will take care of them in the run game.

Very well stated. If you guys really look at last season, you will see that Muck is telling the truth. Jay and Ricky makes our line look a little better than they are. They are an average line, who do enough to allow plays to be made.

Back
Top Bottom