2005 Race for the NL Wildcard | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2005 Race for the NL Wildcard

TerryTate

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Decided to throw this up now since it is closer than it has ever been. Here are the Wildcard Standings for the morning of August 19, 2005. 4 teams are tied in the loss column right now.

Philadelphia, 65-57
Houston, 64-57 -.5
Washington, 64-57 -.5
Florida, 63-57 -1
NY Mets, 61-59 -3

4 of the five teams thick in the Wildcard hunt are from the NL East...5th team is Atlanta. They have some breathing room in the NL East right now. Still lots of baseball left to be played though.

Bottom Line....NL East is the toughest division in baseball. EVERY TEAM is in the hunt for a playoff berth this late in the season.

I agree, this should be a sweet race down to the end. I for some reason find myself rooting for the Nationals or Mets to make it. There is no doubt to me the NL East is the the toughest, every division game is crucial.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Lets' go Mets!!!!

They should ban the NL west from the playoffs!

Yep...any of the NL East teams would take that joke of a division in a heartbeat.

OH, and if I were the cards, I would pray that the marlins dont get in. The pitching is really coming around right now and they are looking like the 03 fish at this point in the regular season. Josh Beckett looked ordinary in the regular season 03 campaign, but he was godlike in his pitching in the postseason, add Burnett, Willis, and even Vargas with Moehler coming out of the pen....DANGEROUS ballclub.

Also look at the Mets pitching lately (no Jokes)

Pedro, Glavine, Seo, and Benson have been awesome, and Trach should be back this week. Zambrano has been so/so, but not horrible.

If they can start hitting, they can do it.

My interpretation.....

The Marlins: SCARY

I know it's a big IF, but if the bats can get going when they need to, Florida is the best team in the NL. People who aren't familiar with the Marlins like to say in reference to their pitching as the Big Three (Willis, Burnett, and Beckett) But it's really the Big Five. Brian Moehler has a great ERA and some of the worst run support in the league. Jason Vargas is kicking some major butt, he just won't go a whole game because of his age. The bullpen has been good at times, but there is room for improvement.

Problems: Hitting, and Schedule.

The schedule also applies for Washington and Philadelphia because the team that can get hottest now in September will win it and it is hard to envision any of these teams getting real hot because the entire NL East will battle each other now in September.

*I'm already counting out the Mets in my opinion

Right now there are 4 teams. I think it TRULY comes down to Houston, Florida, Philadelphia. If FLA/PHI can overcome schedule, it comes down to them, but that's a Huge if so I think Hou has a big advantage there.

The one thing out of all of this that is certain. IF the Marlins get in the playoffs, they will be the hardest team to beat.

TerryTate said:
Yep...any of the NL East teams would take that joke of a division in a heartbeat.

does this statement include the central?
cuz if it does I'll have to qoute ya on it when houston wins it all, wild card on...
1/2 a game not much ground needed.

gonick1 said:
does this statement include the central?
cuz if it does I'll have to qoute ya on it when houston wins it all, wild card on...
1/2 a game not much ground needed.

He was responding to my quote that the NL west should not be given a division winner.

Vamos Marlins! Lets do this. Cabs is having a hell of a year and I beilieve Dontrelle will get his 20 wins this year. If our pitching can keep up the superb job they are doing. We WILL make the playoffs.

You all know my feelings on this matter. :D

:horsey: Marlins

:p4e: Houston, Philadelphia, and Washington

:titanic: New York

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Phils getting bounded

And the Mets? SAY ITS SEO!!!

And the Marlins haven't given up a run in three games, but you know, Jae Seo is going to carry the Mets to the Wild Card.

Standings before Saturday's games

1) Houston
65-57 .533 - 41-21 24-36 15-14 26-26 17-9 7-8 5-5 W1
2) Florida
64-57 .529 0.5 36-27 28-30 23-25 15-15 16-12 10-5 7-3 W3
3) Philadelphia
65-58 .528 0.5 38-28 27-30 22-28 17-16 19-6 7-8 6-4 L2
4) Washington
64-58 .525 1.0 34-22 30-36 21-26 17-16 14-10 12-6 5-5 L1
5) New York
62-59 .512 2.5 39-24 23-35 26-22 19-18 12-9 5-10 5-5 W1

RWhitney014 said:
And the Marlins haven't given up a run in three games, but you know, Jae Seo is going to carry the Mets to the Wild Card.

that's why they play the games!

Back
Top Bottom