2005 Race for the NL Wildcard | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2005 Race for the NL Wildcard

I think Florida makes it to the playoffs and for the first time in their history lose a playoff series :( Hopefully not though.

GO PHILS!!!
10089591-1.jpg

You guys are selling the Mets short. The Mets have the best run differential of any of those teams, and that's typically the best indicator of how good a club really is.

phunwin said:
You guys are selling the Mets short. The Mets have the best run differential of any of those teams, and that's typically the best indicator of how good a club really is.

But they don't have the best offense (Philadelphia), the best pitching (Florida/Houston), or the best pen (Washington).

The Marlins are the best team in this Wildcard race (a combination of Pitching/Hitting), there's no question about it. However with that said, when Houston can throw Clemens, Oswalt and Pettitte at you, that's pretty scary. Good thing this isn't a short playoff series and offensively, outside of Ensberg, they don't have the bats (which by the way, are much more vital in the regular season, as opposed to the playoffs when pitching becomes more prevalent.)

I picked the Marlins before the season started to represent the NL in the World Series, and I'm sticking with that predicition.

FaninPatsyLand said:
The Marlins are the best team in this Wildcard race (a combination of Pitching/Hitting), there's no question about it. However with that said, when Houston can throw Clemens, Oswalt and Pettitte at you, that's pretty scary. Good thing this isn't a short playoff series and offensively, outside of Ensberg, they don't have the bats (which by the way, are much more vital in the regular season, as opposed to the playoffs when pitching becomes more prevalent.)

I picked the Marlins before the season started to represent the NL in the World Series, and I'm sticking with that predicition.

You are so smart, man. :lol:

The PHILS are gonna do it....we got the best hitters, and run producers and decent pitching, including a killer closer (Billy Wagner).
:cpatch:

RWhitney014 said:
But they don't have the best offense (Philadelphia), the best pitching (Florida/Houston), or the best pen (Washington).

No, but they've got more offense than Florida, Houston or Washington, and better pitching than Philadelphia. It has less to do with being the best at one than and more to do with being good at a lot of things.

Here are the run differentials (these changed some from when I first posted on this)...

Houston +57
New York +55
Florida +50
Philadelphia +4
Washington -5

So basically, there's not much to separate Houston, Florida and New York, but those three teams are clearly better than Philly and DC. If Philly or DC wins the wild card, it will be a fluke.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Glavine stepped up big again last night!

Boy, am I glad we didn't trade him. I remember saying that I'd take a bag of chips just to get out from under his contract next year, but he's been invaluable lately.

Victor Diaz went yard last night. So I reiterate that I am NOT glad we failed to trade Mike Cameron.

Back
Top Bottom