2012 NFL Draft Prospects | Page 24 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2012 NFL Draft Prospects

Ranking the cornerback class by tiers

Tier 1

Morris Claiborne: Louisiana State (6-0,185)
The top corner in this year's draft. He's tall and long which allows him to play big off the line. However, he showcases the footwork, balance and quick-twitch ability of a much smaller corner out of his breaks. With improved technique he should mature into one of the leagues best.

Tier 2

Dre Kirkpatrick: Alabama (6-3, 192)
Will be an ideal zone corner at the next level because of his size, instincts and physicality. However, he can also press off the line and consistently re-route receivers. Isn't a dynamic quick-twitch athlete, but showcases good balance, can keep his feet under him and looks like a "plus" caliber starting cornerback in the NFL. Reminds me some of Chargers cornerback Quinton Jammer physically.
Dre1-1.jpg
ICONKirkpatrick looks the part.

Janoris Jenkins: North Alabama (5-10, 182)
If he can put it all together off the field, he's got the ability to develop into a very good cover man in the NFL and despite his size he's going to be a really tough guy to separate from in just about any scheme he plays in.
Read more:http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-Draft-Ranking-the-cornerback-class-by-tiers.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[h=1]CB Claiborne scores poorly on Wonderlic [/h]
LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne reportedly scored a four out of 50 on the Wonderlic test, a basic reasoning and intelligence exam taken by all prospects at the Scouting Combine.
ProFootballTalk.com cited sources in its report on the consensus top-ranked cornerback in the draft. Claiborne, a junior, entered the draft after being named an All-American as a junior.
The NFL does not release the test results but the scores have typically trickled out to media through unnamed sources. The 12-minute timed test consists of 50 multiple choice questions.
Several players have survived the stigma of poor Wonderlic scores to be highly drafted. NFLDraftScout.com rates Claiborne as the top cornerback in the draft and fourth-best prospect overall.
Read more:http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...port-cb-claiborne-scores-poorly-on-wonderlic-

What do our resident experts think of Shea McClellin? Would he be a good pickup in round 2 if we get Tannehill and can't get Fleener? Does he make it to round 2?

I really like McClellin. He has an explosive first step to effectively rush the passer. He is a high motor guy. He has a number of moves in his pass rushing repertoire. He can play with his hand in the dirt or from a two point stance. He is able to drop into man coverage effectively. His scheme versatility is a plus and with so many teams interchanging 3-4 and 4-3, can fit into a variety of different fronts. I would not mind if we picked him up in the 2nd and would be thrilled if we could get him in the 3rd. I can see him playing in the league for a very long time.

Here is what Mike Singletary and Rob Rang had to say about him:
Mike Singletary weighed in:
"Let me just say this, if [McClellin] wants to play D-line, he can play D-line. If he wants to play linebacker, he can play linebacker. He is the kind of guy that can fit either way.
"He's a guy that right now is about 255 pounds. He can pick up and go to 275 and go back to D-line or he can stay where he's at. He's got a lot of good stuff ahead of him because he's also a worker. You find a guy like him with his versatility and intangibles -- he's also a smart kid -- and he's going to be just fine at the next level."
Rang continues by talking about McClellin's switch from mostly-DE at BSU to playing mostly linebacker at the Senior Bowl.
Proving much more comfortable than expected considering his lack of experience at the position, McClellin showed good diagnosis skills, quickly attacking gaps in the running game. He took on blocks aggressively, using his long, strong arms to quickly disengage as well as the flexibility and awareness to keep his feet free from the mass of humanity surrounding him near the line of scrimmage. Though not allowed to take ball carriers to the ground during practice, McClellin closed quickly and wrapped up securely before releasing them to finish their runs. As impressive as McClellin was defending the run, it was his surprising agility and awareness in coverage that caught some by surprise.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/2/18...-on-shea-mcclellin-college-football-links-for

[video=youtube;p3r2_b2pK3k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3r2_b2pK3k&feature=player_embedded[/video]

The answer to your question,"Does he make it to round 2?" I think he makes to our pick in the 2nd rd.

I also like his teammate DE Tyrone Crawford. Crawford is still a work in progress, but, like most of the BSU players, you have got to love that blue collar mentality that they bring.

How would you compare him to Chandler Jones? He looks more athletic but doesn't have the length that Jones has. To me, Jones looks like he plays totally upright all the time and seems to flop around a lot, as if he doesn't always have his balance or his feet under him. But, then again, Jason Pierre Paul had that same awkward looking movement and he's doing alright for the Giants.

To me, JMHO, I think McClellin is able to take on blocks better. Because Jones pad level is too high, he will have a tough time fighting off the defender. There is no doubt that Jones has the length you look for in a edge rusher. He has the potential to start if he improves that part of his game. He also does not have the explosion that McClellin has and his change of directions is not that great. Between the two, I would take Shea. But the draft is alot like poker in that you have two pair and your opponent seems to be dead in the water, but when that last card falls he hits an inside straight. You weigh the odds and take your shot.

Prospect Focus:Quarterback Brock Osweiler

A name that we have seen a lot of lately as we prepare for the NFL Draft in 3 weeks is quarterback Brock Osweiler from Arizona State.
After his pro day last week, NFL.com and former Dallas Cowboys Vice President of Player Personnel Gil Brandt said that Osweiler could be a first-round pick. A few weeks earlier Todd McShay of ESPN also stated that Osweiler could be a first rounder. With that in mind, I decided to look at the four tapes I had on Osweiler and give my opinion (one of the tapes is from 2010).
Usually when I write up a quarterback, I would like to see at least 6 games to get a good feel for what the player has to offer. With only three tapes from ’11, I don’t feel as comfortable.
Before we break down his game let’s look at who Brock Osweiler is.
BrockOsweiler-1.jpg
ICONSome teams view Brock Osweiler as a potential first-round pick.
He is a 3rd-year junior from Kalispell, Montana. He was a two-sport athlete in high school and even committed to Gonzaga University to play basketball when he was a sophomore. After his football skills began to flourish he chose football to be his sport in college. Rivals had him rated as a 3-star recruit and he was offered by schools such as Stanford, Washington State and Arizona State. As a freshman he played in 6 games, completing 24 of 55 passes for 249 yards, 2 TDs and 2 interceptions. As a sophomore he played in 5 games, starting the last 2 (both wins) and completed 62 of 109 passes for 797 yards, 5 touchdowns and no interceptions. In 2011 he started all games, winning 5 of the team's first 6 but also losing 6 out of their last 7. For the year he was 326 of 516 for 4,036 yards, 26 TDs and 13 interceptions. He was also sacked 28 times.
Read more:http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Prospect-Focus-Quarterback-Brock-Osweiler.html

Ranking the safety class by tiers

Tier 1

Mark Barron: Alabama (6-2, 218)
Has the makings of a heck of a special teams player who can also attack downhill vs. the run game, play inside the box and drive on the football in front of him in the pass game. Isn't going to be a major threat turning and tracking the football, but his improved instincts makes me think he can start in the league early on.

Tier 2
Martin1-1.jpg
Martin displays good balance when asked to change directions.
Markelle Martin: Oklahoma State (6-1, 198)
A gifted athlete with a good burst and range in the deep half. However, wastes motion out of his breaks and isn't a very good open field tackler. Possesses slightly above-average instincts, but will make more plays on the football when he tightens up his footwork. A potential starter only at this stage because of his intriguing athleticism.
Read more:http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-Draft-Ranking-the-safety-class-by-tiers.html

[h=1]Ryan Broyles to work out five months after ACL surgery[/h]Oklahoma's NCAA record-holding wide receiver Ryan Broyles confirmed to NFLDraftScout.com that he feels "great" and will hold a personal pro day for NFL scouts on April 12, five months after a torn left ACL prematurely ended his remarkable college career.

"I'm feeling confident and I feel great," said Broyles when asked how his leg was coming along. "I can't give you a percentage, it's not 100 percent but the left leg is getting closer to being as strong as the right leg."

In a game against Texas A&M on Nov. 5, Broyles hurt the knee while making a cut after his second catch of the game, a 30-yarder that set up one of four third-quarter touchdowns in the Sooners' 41-25 victory. It was his final college catch, pushing his NCAA record to 349. His 4,586 yards receiving are second in NCAA history.

Last year when Broyles asked the NFL to evaluate his draft potential, he was told he projected as a probable late second-round pick. After conferring with Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops, Broyles opted to return for another college season. NFLDraftScout.com had Broyles rated as high as an early second-round pick before his injury. He is currently the No. 26-ranked wide receiver and projected as a sixth-round prospect.
Read more:http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/r...les-to-work-out-five-months-after-acl-surgery

Draft Winds. The Garden of Weeden.
Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Todd Monken is a well-travelled man who has seen his share of quarterbacks. His history with college quarterbacks reads like a cross-section of the depth and breadth of the NFL projection experience, from the nationally-famous, yet ill-fated physical dynamos of Rick Mirer (Notre Dame, 1991-92) and Jamarcus Russell (LSU, 2005-06), to local heroes turned journeymen backups like Charlie Batch (Eastern Michigan, 1994-97) and Luke McCown (Louisiana Tech, 2000-01).

200pxBrandon_Weeden_28CROP29-1.jpg
The question becomes this: Will Tannehill last until the Dolphins' 8th overall pick?
Matt Flynn, who looked to be the top quarterback free agent in this year’s market until Peyton Manning spoiled the party, won a National Championship for his Passing Coordinator Todd Monken back in 2007. Monken even coached current Miami Dolphin quarterback David Garrard into a Pro Bowl appearance with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2009.
Coach “Monk,” as he’s called, has seen everything at the position. Or at least he had, until he coached Brandon Weeden at Oklahoma State in 2011. In a history littered with Pro Bowlers, National Champions, future #1 overall picks, future backups, future washouts, physical phenoms, NFL franchise record holders, “winners,” and hot shot free agents, one wonders where Weeden fits in.
The best he’s ever coached, at any level.
Read more:http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spo...2012/04/draft_winds_breaking_down_bran_1.html

Back
Top Bottom