2014 NFL Draft Prospects | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2014 NFL Draft Prospects

Being a UF fan, I am very familiar with Patchan. Of the 5yrs. at Florida, he played in a total of 27 games. He started out as a DE at UF and later switched to the OL. In May 2008, he was shot in the left shoulder as a bystander at a park in Brandon. He later injured his left knee in the first of two scooter accidents. He lost enough time to injuries, including a torn pectoral muscle and broken right wrist, for the NCAA to grant him a sixth season of eligibility.

After his myriad of injuries and getting an extra year of eligibility, he followed Steve Addazio to BC. While at BC, Patchan dabbled a little bit of everywhere this past season — left tackle, right tackle, fullback, tight end, and wide receiver. Not following the Eagles, I assume he had a successful year playing in all 13 games that the Eagles played.

Coming out of HS, he was a 5 star recruit. With all the injuries, I can reasonably assume that that is why he is not expected to go off the board before the 5th rd. I will say that he is/was a pretty good athlete. It looks like he has put on about 10lbs. at BC. He is going to have to be thoroughly checked out medically, but as a late rd player he is worth a look.

NFL Combine:
Height - 6-6
Weight - 302
40-Time - 4.97
Arm Length - 33"
Hand Size - 9 3/8"
Bench Press - 22 Reps

He had a good year at BC and he sure looked solid and healthy at the combine, put up good numbers. I'm a buyer in the later rounds, gamble that he'll stay healthy. Injuries playing football are one thing, and he's had some, but getting shot and two scooter injuries are something else, hopefully behind him. Good looking prospect at a position of need for us.

[video=youtube;jm9_gSO8v6c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm9_gSO8v6c[/video]

110.OT Billy Turner, North Dakota St. 6'5" 315

01/22/14 - 2014 Senior Bowl Wednesday...On the offensive line, North Dakota State's Billy Turner enjoyed a nice bounce-back effort on Wednesday after struggling a bit with speed yesterday. Playing predominately inside at right guard (though also seeing some time at right tackle), the athletic small-schooler showed renewed aggression and strong hands to latch on and control defenders. Florida's Jon Halapio has also impressed with his physicality. Finally, Nevada's Joel Bitonio has quietly done a nice job rotating throughout the offensive line all week, as well. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com
01/21/14 - 2014 Senior Bowl: 10 observations from Monday's South practice...5. As impressive James was, arguably the most impressive offensive lineman of the day was North Dakota State's Billy Turner, who possesses a very similar build at 6-foot-5, 316 pounds. Unlike James, Turner struggles a bit with leverage, bending at the waist rather than the knees but he has strong hands and is a good athlete who projects as a quality NFL starter with a little refinement. His upside could push Turner into the top 100 picks, if he isn't there already. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com
01/21/14 - 2014 Senior Bowl: 10 observations from Monday's North practice...10. Yes, he plays on the South squad and this is a North practice review, but I feel compelled to mention North Dakota State OL Billy Turner. He lined up at guard and tackle during practice and showed off his quick feet, upper body strength and mean punch to handle rushers. If Turner can learn to consistently sink his hips and not bend so much at the waist, I truly believe there are several Pro Bowls in his future. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com
01/21/14 - 2014 Senior Bowl Tuesday...I mentioned that Dee Ford had dominated North Dakota State OL Billy Turner on a few occasions, but overall, I was still impressed by the former Bison blocker. With Tennessee OT Ja'Wuan James out due to injury, Turner lined up primarily at right tackle throughout Tuesday's practice, despite showing better when he was at guard on Monday. He was beat a few times, but he also had his positive moments, especially when he could show off his natural feet and powerful punch. Once he learns to consistently bend and sink, Turner will be better suited for NFL rushers. He is well thought of in the NFL scouting community because of what the finished product could be with a little NFL coaching. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com
01/20/14 - 2014 SENIOR BOWL, OFFENSIVE LINE: Arrow pointing up: Billy Turner, North Dakota State...The cornerstone of an offensive line that helped NDSU win three straight FCS titles, Turner is a mobile and tough blocker with controlled movements to be effective at the line of scrimmage and at the second level. He is another candidate to possibly move inside to guard. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=113185&draftyear=2014&genpos=OT

System Fit
Turner is perhaps more fitted to play in a power scheme, but he can play in virtually any scheme with work. The key with Turner is going to a team that can coach him to eliminate some of his bad habits and continue to work and improve his technique. If he takes coaching and develops, he could be a nice swing tackle with the potential to start down the road. In many ways, Turner is almost an ideal developmental player because of his natural size, strength and athletic ability. He just needs to work to put it altogether and do it consistently.
NFL Comparison
Turner’s game is somewhat similar to that of Bruce Campbell of the Carolina Panthers. Campbell came out of Maryland as an incredibly impressive physical athlete and was one of the biggest stories from the Combine that year just because of how good he looked as a player. Nevertheless, like with Turner, Campbell has technical issues that needed to be addressed. Turner could have a similar path but may ultimately find himself developing into a starter long term if he can address his issues.
Draft Projection
Turner’s physical potential is impressive and has the tools to be a starting tackle in the NFL. In addition to the size and quickness he has, Turner has a nice mean streak for the game. The key with him is continuing to develop to eliminate some bad habits and get more consistent with good technique. He could be a player who gets some buzz if he gets invited to a postseason All-Star game and shows well, but he still seems to be a developmental player. Turner projects as a third day prospect and in many ways, is the ideal project tackle that could play on either side of the line if he can get more consistent.
http://withthefirstpick.com/2013/11...ng-report-billy-turner-ot-north-dakota-state/

[video=youtube;y0OR1ZhiZVs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0OR1ZhiZVs[/video]

111.C Russell Bodine, North Carolina 6'3" 305

12/30/13 - Bodine To Enter 2014 NFL Draft...University of North Carolina junior offensive lineman Russell Bodine has decided to forego his final season of eligibility and will enter the 2014 NFL Draft. A native of Scottsville, Va., Bodine was a two-year starter, primarily at center. He also saw action at left guard in 2013. "It's been a dream of mine to play in the NFL and I feel I'm ready to take the next step in my playing career," said Bodine. "I have been thinking about this for several weeks, weighing all my options and discussing it with my parents and the coaching staff. I feel it is the right time to move forward. "I want to thank the coaching staff at North Carolina for helping me become a better player and person. I've had the opportunity to play in both a pro-style offense and a spread offense and I think that will enhance my opportunities at the next level."
Bodine averaged 73 snaps per game in 2013 and was an honorable-mention All-ACC selection. "We wish Russell the best as he takes the next step in athletic career," said head coach Larry Fedora. "He has been a good player for us over the last two years, starting every game on the offensive line, and has a bright future ahead of him." - North Carolina football
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=105439&draftyear=2015&genpos=C

STRENGTHS: Possesses squatty powerful frame, with broad shoulders and thick limbs. Good initial quickness. Capable of firing the snap (shotgun or typical) and turning to seal off defenders in one fluid motion. Plays with very good knee bend and on the balls of his feet, helping him anchor against the bull rush and mirror quicker defenders while in pass protection. Latches on and turns with defenders, keeping himself between the defender and the ball.
Surprisingly light on his feet, showing good athleticism to block at the second level. Strong initial punch on defenders when he meets them, showing enough power to knock some off-balance and to the ground. Alert and competitive. Looks for someone to hit on each play. Started one game at left guard in 2013; all others at center over the past two seasons.
WEAKNESSES: Carries a little extra weight around the middle and may not possess ideal arm length. Can get pushed back into the pocket initially (especially when covered up with a powerful nose guard), though to his credit he generally stops the skating and regains momentum to eventually push the defender back. Plays so low that he leaves himself vulnerable to over-arm swim moves.
COMPARES TO: A.Q. Shipley, Baltimore Ravens - Shipley left Penn State in 2008 and has bounced around the NFL since. Scouts love his physicality and tenacity, but short arms have made his emergence as an NFL starter slower than hoped. Bodine has more desirable traits and should have an easier path to latching on. He plays with similar grit and surprising athleticism, projecting as a future starter in the NFL.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737148/russell-bodine

[video=youtube;TOlvWNJ8wyU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOlvWNJ8wyU[/video]

112. DT Aaron Donald, Pittsburgh 6'0.5" 285

02/20/14 - 2014 NFL Draft Scout Pre-Combine Top 64 Prospects: 22. Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh, 6-1, 288, 4.93, 1...Donald was the most dominant and decorated defensive college football player in 2013 after totaling 59 tackles, including 28.5 for a loss, 11 sacks, 16 QB hurries, four forced fumbles and a blocked extra point. Per NFLDraftScout.com, he was an unblockable force from his defensive tackle position despite an array of schemes designed to slow him down. He was the the first Pitt defensive player to be a unanimous All-America selection since legendary defensive end Hugh Green in 1980. - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=106898&draftyear=2014&genpos=DT

Strengths
Quick off the snap. Natural leverage. Gets under pads and into gaps. Good foot athlete -- redirects well and can work the edges and loop and stunt. Flexible enough to zone drop in short area. Plays with awareness and consistently locates the ball. Closes hard and fast. Keeps working to the ball. Disruptive penetrating ability. Outstanding career production -- 63 TFL and 27.5 sacks the last three seasons. Tough and competitive. Team captain with terrific personal and football character.
Weaknesses
Marginal height and frame is nearly maxed out. Hands are more active than strong -- could play with more pop and power. Overpowered in the run game and ground up by double teams. Gets snared and controlled by bigger, longer blockers. Not a two-gap player. Has some tweener traits -- lacks ideal length and bend to play outside.
Draft Projection
Rounds 4-5
Bottom Line
Short, scrappy, instinctive, highly productive defensive lineman who does not look the part, but inspires confidence he can be an exception to the rule. Is the type you root for and has the quickness, athleticism and motor to earn a spot as a rotational three-technique in a fast-flowing 4-3 scheme.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/aaron-donald?id=2543485

[video=youtube;gcfvczQ-RfA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcfvczQ-RfA[/video]

113.DE Chris Smith, Arkansas 6'1" 266

12/11/13 - 2013 ALL-SEC SECOND TEAM (COACHES): DL - Chris Smith, Arkansas...Smith earned All-SEC honors for the second straight season after being named honorable mention All-SEC in 2012. A native of Mount Ulla, N.C., Smith is tied for third in the SEC and for 26th nationally with 8.5 sacks and is 16th in the country with 71 sack yards. His sack total is tied for the eighth-most in a single season in school history.
Smith also ranks seventh in the conference with 11.5 tackles for loss. He finished his Arkansas career with 21.5 sacks, which ranks as the fourth-highest total in school history. Smith finished the season with 36 total tackles, six quarterback hurries, one pass breakup and one fumble recovery. Smith has also accepted an invitation to the 2014 Senior Bowl and will join Swanson at the nation's top showcase of senior talent for NFL evaluators. - Arkansas football
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=112444&draftyear=2014&genpos=DE

STRENGTHS: Thickly-built pass-rusher with enough burst, lateral agility and underrated strength to harass opposing quarterbacks off the edge or when used as a stand-up rusher up the middle. Versatile defender who lined up as a LDE, RDE and even as a traditional outside linebacker for the Razorbacks.
Flashes a quick burst off the snap to cross the face of offensive tackles, as well as an effective spin move back inside to counter his exterior speed rush. Uses his natural leverage advantage effectively, showing enough strength to bull rush opponents into the backfield and hold up at the point of attack to handle run defending duties.
Very good closing speed when the ball is near. Strong, wrap-up tackler who brings the ballcarrier to the ground.
WEAKNESSES: Jack of all trades, master of none type who may be viewed as a 'tweener DE/OLB prospect. Highly inconsistent burst off the snap. Too often is the last defender off the ball when rushing out of a three-point stance. Even when he beats tackles initially, Smith tops-out quickly and shows only average flexibility in turning the corner to close.
Lack of preferred height and length is apparent in how often Smith appears to lose track of the ball, as well as his struggles in disengaging from blocks. Rarely is asked to drop into coverage at Arkansas.
COMPARES TO: Daryl Tapp, Redskins: Like Tapp, Smith possesses the combination of burst upfield and underrated strength at the point of attack to help a franchise, but size limitations could mean journeyman status in the NFL.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1696148/chris-smith

[video=youtube;qTPlfmDmUwI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTPlfmDmUwI[/video]

114.OLB Lamin Barrow, Louisiana St. 6'1" 237

12/11/13 - 2013 ALL-SEC SECOND TEAM (COACHES): LB - Lamin Barrow, LSU...Barrow is tops on the team in tackles with 86, including 4.5 tackles for a loss and 1.5 sacks. - LSU football
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=90673&draftyear=2014&genpos=ilb

Strengths: Barrow has a well-built, albeit undersized frame. He looks the part though he could stand to gain another 5-10 lbs. Has very long arms and big, broad shoulders. He also seems very smart. Well-respected team captain.
Barrow is an incredible athlete and very good against the run. Explosive athleticism and agility. Takes good angles and always seems to be around the ball.
Weaknesses: Better athlete than football player. When trying to tackle, Barrow too often fails to wrap-up. He's not known as a violent striker/"blow 'em up" type of tackler, but rather seems to wrestle the ball carrier to the ground. He's also fairly weak in pass coverage.
Is a little short and a little light. As I said before, needs to gain 5-10 lbs of muscle. Barrow also needs to work on his technique. He too frequently loses contain and is fooled by playaction.
Bottom Line: A very solid and under-the-radar prospect. Good at everything, not great at anything, and bad at nothing. Shows good football intelligence and the capability to be the "QB of the defense." Great athlete who needs coaching on technique to bring out his full potential.
Player Comparison: Ernie Sims
Projected Round: 4-5. Some think he'll go as high as the third round.
http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/3/25/5543708/washington-redskins-draft-profiles-lamin-barrow-ilb

Last edited by a moderator:
[video=youtube;dUEhINsShAg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUEhINsShAg[/video]

115.ILB James Morris, Iowa 6'1" 240

2013 LOTT IMPACT TROPHY FINALIST: James Morris, LB, Iowa...Morris (6-foot-3, 230 pounds) is a senior from Solon, Iowa. He has been named a 2013 National Football Foundation National Scholar-Athlete and has been named to the CoSIDA/Capital One District VI Academic All-America team for a second straight year. A political science major, Morris has twice earned academic all-Big Ten honors. He was presented the Third House Scholar Award by the University of Iowa political science department last spring.
Morris has been in Iowa's starting lineup since early in his freshman season. He has totaled 382 career tackles, ranking sixth on Iowa's career chart. Morris was named Big Ten defensive Player of the Week for his play in Iowa's win at Minnesota (Sept. 28) and its overtime win against Northwestern in Kinnick Stadium (Oct. 26). He had 13 tackles in Iowa's contest at Ohio State. Through 11 games, Morris ranks second on the team with 89 tackles. He leads the team in sacks (five for 22 yards), shares the team lead interceptions (three) and is second in tackles for loss (11.5-39). - Iowa football
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=110682&draftyear=2014&genpos=ILB

STRENGTHS: Solid size with good muscle definition. Works hard in the weight room. Adequate athleticism and range due to his hustle. Instinctive and trusts what he sees with little hesitation ? see ball, get ball type. Physical tackler with timing, technique and sturdy hands to finish. Excellent between the hashes vs. the run and aggressively takes on blocks. Knifes his way through the line of scrimmage well to make a stop for loss. Hard-nosed and always at full go, playing hungry and relentless. Smart and alert with positive character traits on and off the field. Durable and tough, often playing through pain. Motivated individual with desire to get better and reach his full potential. Productive starting career (42 career starts) with three straight 100+ tackle seasons.
WEAKNESSES: Doesn?t have the frame to get much bigger or stronger. Limited speed and fluidity, struggling at times in coverage. Not as reliable in the open field and needs to do a better job breaking down on the move. Rigid and needs to stay under control. Will bite on fakes and take too many false steps, struggling to recover. Overactive attitude gets him in trouble when he overpursues the action and takes himself out of the play. Will lower his eye level prematurely and lose sight of his target.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737568/james-morris

[video=youtube;Wo0OyJ4nLlI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo0OyJ4nLlI[/video]

116.CB Pierre Desir, Lindenwood 6'1" 198

01/18/14 - PROSPECTS WHO HELPED THEMSELVES AT THE SHRINE GAME: 3. CB Pierre Desir, Lindenwood (6-1, 205, 4.56, #3)...It was an up-and-down week for Desir, who impressed in a few drills, but also struggled in others. He looks the part with a tall, long frame for a cornerback, but also showed the flexibility and balance you want for the position. Desir struggled at times to flip his hips or recover after false steps, but if he runs well at the Combine, look for Desir to be a hot commodity on day two of the NFL Draft. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com
01/13/14 - 2014 Shrine Game: Monday Practice Report...Lindenwood CB Pierre Desir entered the week as one of my top defensive prospects in St. Petersburg and he did little to persuade me from that thought during Monday's practice. He looks the part with a tall, long frame and he does a nice job staying low and fluid in his stance, backpedal and overall transition. Desir is going up against FBS-level wide receivers this week like Miami's Allen Hurns and Michigan's Jeremy Gallon, but he hasn't looked out of place through one day of practice. He also received praise from the coaching staff for his ball awareness to get his head turned, find the ball and come off his man to pursue the ballcarrier. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com
01/13/14 - 2014 SHRINE GAME: TOP-10 PROSPECTS TO WATCH: 4. CB Pierre Desir, Lindenwood (6-1, 205, 4.56, #3)...A tall, long athlete, Desir has an interesting background and he can flat out play. And it will be interesting to see him matched up against FBS talents throughout the week. A native of Haiti, Desir started his collegiate career at Washburn before transferring to Lindenwood and he now has his sights on the NFL. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=82458&draftyear=2014&genpos=CB

STRENGTHS: Sports a lean, athletic build with excellent height for the position. Fluid athlete with light feet, flexibility and balance. Has a low backpedal, controlled transition and is a smooth accelerator with good top-end speed. Trusts his athleticism, showing the patience to allow receivers to get close before opening his hips to turn and run downfield.
Aggressively closes on underneath routes. Locates the ball well, showing good hand-eye coordination and body control to adjust to make the tough grab. Has dominated lower-level competition based largely on his natural gifts.
With refining, Desir could emerge as an NFL starter.
WEAKNESSES: Overly reliant on his athleticism and may need significant development from a technical standpoint before competing for playing time in the NFL. Dominated lower level of competition and rarely had to extend his arm to jam receivers when in press coverage, which led to struggles with quicker receivers during the all-star game circuit.
Plays with cover corner mentality against the run, making the tackle when necessary but showing less-than-ideal physicality when attempting to fight through blocks and when making tackles.
COMPARES TO: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Denver Broncos - Like DRC, Desir possesses intriguing size, athleticism and ball-skills. With improved physicality -- especially in run support -- Desir could emerge as a legitimate NFL starter.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1714348/pierre-desir

[video=youtube;BEMmWBoAivs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEMmWBoAivs[/video]

117.S Deone Bucannon, Washington St. 6'1" 211

01/20/14 - 2014 NFL DRAFT: SENIOR BOWL WEIGH-IN WINNERS: Deone Bucannon, S, Washington State: At a shade under 6-feet-1 and 216 pounds, Bucannon certainly passed the eyeball test, sporting a muscled-up frame that stood out in comparison to the other safeties in this game. With a 78-inch wingspan, Bucannon also had the widest of any of the safeties measured. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com
12/21/13 - PLAYERS TO WATCH: Safety Deone Bucannon became the first Washington State player since wide receiver Brandon Gibson in 2007 to earn first team all-Pac-12 honors. Bucannon led the Pac-12 in tackles (109) and also had five interceptions and three forced fumbles. - The Sports Xchange
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=105781&draftyear=2014&genpos=SS

STRENGTHS: Boasts an imposing build with broad shoulders and a thick, muscled-up top half. Best attribute may be his explosive hitting, as Bucannon at times appears as though he is shot out of a cannon, unloading on runners and receivers crossing the middle and forcing fumbles. Doesn't only rely on his big hits to create fumbles, also demonstrating the wherewithal to rip at the ball as he's making the tackle (career-high three forced fumbles in 2013). Also showed improved range and ball-skills in 2013, recording a career-high six interceptions in 2013 to give him 15 for his career... Enjoyed a solid week of practice at the Senior Bowl.
WEAKNESSES: Has a high, choppy backpedal and is stiff in the hips, limiting his ability to change directions fluidly. This leaves Bucannon vulnerable to double-moves and ball-carriers with the agility to cutback against the grain. While a big-hitter, too often Bucannon will lunge at ball-carriers, occasionally resulting in some ugly whiffs. Struggles a bit with tunnel vision, focusing strictly on the ball-carrier and losing sight of would-be blockers, who take advantage of his lack of spatial awareness to seal him off from the play.
COMPARES TO: Craig Dahl, San Francisco 49ers - Like the 6-1, 212-pound Dahl, Bucannon possesses an imposing frame and good closing speed which can result in some big hits. While possessing better ball-skills perhaps than Dahl, Bucannon is not particularly fluid which could lead to his struggles earning (and keeping) a starting role in the NFL.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737409/deone-bucannon

[video=youtube;CFL-kzFIMqE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFL-kzFIMqE[/video]

118.QB Brett Smith, Wyoming 6'2" 210

12/30/13 - Underrated Wyoming QB leaving early for the NFL...Wyoming quarterback Brett Smith will leave school with one year of eligibility remaining to enter the 2014 NFL Draft, the university announced Friday night. If Smith played in the SEC or another major conference, he would be a much better known quarterback prospect. Smith completed 62.6 percent of his passes for 3,359 yards and 29 touchdowns this season and Wyoming single-game record against Hawai'i with 640 yards of total offense (498 passing, 142 rushing) and eight total touchdowns (7 passing, 1 rushing). "After much consideration, I have decided to forgo my senior season at UW to pursue my dream of playing quarterback in the National Football League," Smith said. "Wyoming has been such a special place for me and my family, and will always hold a special place in my heart." The 6-foot-2, 206-pound Smith is rated by NFLDraftScout.com as the No. 8 quarterback and the No. 94 overall prospect in 2014.
He is leaving before Craig Bohl takes over for the fired Dave Christensen as Wyoming coach after the Cowboys' 5-7 season in 2013. Bohl will assume his new duties after he leads North Dakota State into the FCS championship game on Jan. 4. "I have so much respect for Coach Bohl and know that we will be very successful at Wyoming," Smith said. "I appreciate him coming out and meeting with me and my family this past weekend and talking with us about his vision for the future of Cowboy football. - The Sports Xchange
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=112455&draftyear=2014&genpos=QB

Wyoming junior quarterback Brett Smith announced on Friday that he will forego his senior season and enter the 2014 NFL Draft. Although he isn't a well-known NFL prospect, he is an underrated passer who has the talent to be drafted among the top-100 picks.
Smith is ranked as the No. 8 quarterback prospect for May's NFL Draft by NFLDraftScout.com. He is the first underclassman quarterback to officially add his name to the 2014 draft class.
Smith, who is reminiscent of a more controlled version of Johnny Manziel, is a better athlete than given credit with deceiving mobility and very quick feet to be elusive in the pocket and avoid pressure. He has good-enough height and has worked hard to bulk up his frame, spending considerable time in the weight room. Smith scans the field quickly, works through his reads and does an excellent job recognizing soft spots in coverage pre-snap. He is a gutsy competitor who plays the game of football with a chip on his shoulder and he'll win over NFL coaches with his attitude, work ethic and overall football passion.
Smith is extremely confident, but almost to a fault as he tests small passing windows too often, throwing into tight coverage and hoping for a positive play. He has good enough arm strength for the next level, but lacks elite velocity especially when he can't step into his throws. Smith can get jumpy and skittish in the pocket and needs to get his footwork under control. He is a high-completion passer, but his accuracy will dip when throwing on the run.
If Smith played in the SEC or another major conference, he would be a much better known quarterback prospect. A native of Salem, Oregon, he re-wrote the high school record books and was the 2010 Gatorade Oregon Football Player of the Year, but didn't receive much attention from Pac 12 schools. His only FBS-level offers were San Jose State and Wyoming, choosing the Cowboys and starting from day one as a freshman.
Smith leaves Wyoming with several school records, finishing his career with 76 touchdown passes and 97 scores overall. He set new career-bests in 2013 with 3,375 passing yards, 62.7% completions (293-for-467) and 29 passing touchdowns. On Nov. 23, Smith set a new Mountain West and Wyoming single-game record against Hawai'i with 640 yards of total offense (498 passing, 142 rushing) and eight total touchdowns (7 passing, 1 rushing).
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...derrated-wyoming-qb-leaving-early-for-the-nfl

Last edited by a moderator:
[video=youtube;4EFuaosG4jQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EFuaosG4jQ[/video]

119.RB Storm Johnson,Central Florida 6'0" 209

01/01/14 - PLAYERS TO WATCH: UCF RB Storm Johnson has rushed for 1,015 yards and three touchdowns, averaging 5.3 yards per carry. He can also make plays catching the ball out of the backfield, and he has 29 receptions for 261 yards and three touchdowns. - The Sports Xchange
12/17/13 - 2013 ALL-AMERICAN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE FIRST TEAM (COACHES): RB Storm Johnson, UCF, Jr., 6-0 215, Loganville, Ga./Miami (Fla.),...Has been selected First Team All-American Athletic Conference for the 2013 college football season by the league Coaches. - American Athletic Conference/Central Florida football
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=109040&draftyear=2015&genpos=RB

Johnson is a fourth-year junior and a transfer from the University of Miami. He enrolled at Miami in 2010 and played as a backup his freshman year. He then transferred to Central and sat out the 2011 season. He played in a rotation in 2012 and ran for over 500 yards and four TDs. He still played in a rotation in 2013 but became more of the bell cow with 1,139 yards rushing and 30 receptions. He also had 24 rushing TDs and three receiving TDs.
Johnson has good size at about 6000 – 215. He is a good athlete with very good balance and body control. While he is not a “burner”, he runs fast enough. I would estimate his speed at around 4.57 – 4.60. While he doesn’t have great top end speed, he has a burst.
Johnson runs form both a pro set and a spread. He is quick to the hole and has good lean. He is an alert runner who has very good vision and is a good decision maker. He shows good cutback skills and can make a quick cut in the hole to an open lane. He is an attacking style runner who has power and can get yards after contact. With his lower power and balance, he can break tackles and burst for extra yards. He is effective both inside and outside and does a good job following blocks. As a receiver, he is very consistent, has soft hands, and can adjust to the ball. After the catch, he gets up field quickly and can turn a short pass into a long gain. Johnson pass blocks well. He is alert and does a good job picking up blitzes. He has good technique and can anchor.
Johnson has a lot of talent. He just doesn’t have great top-end speed. He will become a steady NFL running back, and I look for him to be an eventual starter in the league. He should get drafted around the mid-third to fourth round.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-Prospect-Focus-Storm-Johnson-and-Terrance-West.html

Anybody else think dri archer has great potential. I'm talking tavon austin only he's stronger. He benched a lot of reps of 225 given his size

Anybody else think dri archer has great potential. I'm talking tavon austin only he's stronger. He benched a lot of reps of 225 given his size
I see him as a 6th or 7th rd pick. If I draft him it is for his return ability, then when you get him in camp figure out other ways to use him. I do not think he will ever be a full time RB, but you can move him around. Play him WR and swing him out of the backfield, actually use some creativity-something that has sorely been lacking from the Dolphins in forever.:hsmash:

Back
Top Bottom