2014 NFL Draft Prospects | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2014 NFL Draft Prospects

[video=youtube;cE9VyX6KBjE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE9VyX6KBjE[/video]

130.S Ed Reynolds, Stanford 6'1" 207

02/20/14 - 2014 NFL Draft Scout Pre-Combine Top 64 Prospects: 62. *Ed Reynolds, FS, Stanford, 6-2, 206, 4.54, 2...Reynolds is physical, instinctive and has lanky build that teams like for at the position. Shows ability to handle athletic tight ends, which is becoming more important every year in the NFL. Had only one highly-productive season in terms of creating turnovers while playing on a defense with dominant front seven. Father, also Ed Reynolds, was an NFL linebacker for New England and the New York giants (1983-92). - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange
01/14/14 - Reynolds Headed to Draft...Ed Reynolds has declared for the 2014 NFL Draft, as announced Tuesday by the Stanford senior free safety. The All-American from Stoneville, N.C., will re-enroll into Stanford for the spring quarter and return again during the offseason to complete work toward his degree in political science. “After much thought and discussion with my family and mentors, I have decided to enter the NFL Draft,” Reynolds said. “I would to thank the Stanford football family for putting me in this position and preparing me for the next level. A very special thanks to our coaching staff, support staff and my teammates for making the memories of these past four years last a lifetime. “I would like to extend my deepest and most sincere gratitude to the Stanford community for its support during my time on The Farm. A better script could not have been written for my experience at Stanford as a student-athlete.”
Reynolds was third among Stanford defenders in 2013 with 87 tackles, adding four breakups, five passes defended and one interception. He was a pivotal cog in a defensive unit that ranked third nationally in rushing defense (89.4 yards/game), seventh in tackles for loss (7.8/game) and 16th in total defense (343.1 yards/game). Reynolds shelved in the accolades during his final season on The Farm, garnering All-America honors from the FWAA (second team), CBSSports.com (first team) and SI.com (honorable mention). The Pac-12 recognized Reynolds as a first team all-conference safety. The Lott IMPACT Award semifinalist also earned a spot on the Pac-12 All-Academic second team. As a junior in 2012, Reynolds had a team-high six interceptions, the most by a Stanford player since Jim Kaffen’s seven in 1973. - Stanford football
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=111642&draftyear=2014&genpos=FS

Strengths
Good size to contend with tight ends. Reads the quarterback and displays good instincts and anticipation. Showed ballhawking skills as a junior. Functional range off the hash. Wrap tackler. Has NFL bloodlines.
Weaknesses
Small hands. Very average play speed, twitch and flexibility. Unsudden change of direction. Lacks burst to close suddenly or recover when beat. Occasionally loses field leverage and takes some inaccurate angles. Leaks yards after contact. Misses too many tackles in the open field and can be run over (see Utah). Can be manipulated by quarterbacks. Limited experience in man coverage. Poor leaping ability. Appeared extremely rigid in positional workout at pro day.
Draft Projection
Rounds 6-7
Bottom Line
Big, assignment-sound, Cover-2 safety who brings a dependability factor, but lacks ideal athletic ability and physicality. Is the type you look to replace as a starter, but could have longevity as a backup.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ed-reynolds?id=2543656

[video=youtube;wQ2PVx3SZcA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ2PVx3SZcA[/video]

131.QB Tom Savage, Pittsburgh 6'4" 228

03/17/14 - 2014 Pro Days: Pittsburgh DT Donald continues climb...Quarterback Tom Savage, who could be a late-round riser, went through a scripted workout of 100 passes. Savage (6-4, 228), has the arm strength to be at least a quality backup. A two-time transfer, Savage said he patiently explains to scouts that his travels should not be a red flag. But his limited experience against FBS defenses do complicate Savage's evaluation. Savage, who also attended Rutgers and Arizona, said it doesn't have to be a negative.
"I've been in three different systems, probably four or five different offensive coordinators. I don't even know anymore I've been to so many schools," Savage said. "You kind of have to pick it up on the run. You have to learn on your own. At Pittsburgh, I had to walk on and earn my spot. I had to pick up the offense and learn it by myself. Being ineligible you can't offer to much to the team. You really have to grind in the film room and pick it up on your own, kind of like the NFL will be. There will be veterans that know the playbook. They're not going to slow down for some rookie." - The Sports Xchange
02/17/14 - In that (Nov. 23 Syracuse) game, Savage took a vicious hit in the ribs but played through the pain. A week later, he threw for 281 yards and two touchdowns in a loss to Miami. Then, in the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl against Bowling Green on Dec. 26, Savage was hit near the same spot and was forced to leave the game with fractured ribs and, as it turned out, a bruised kidney. At halftime, he said he discovered blood in his urine. That forced him to set aside his courage and let backup quarterback Chad Voytik finish the game. “When I saw that, I said, ‘All right. You have to pull back.' “It was better for the program for Chad (a redshirt freshman) to get to play. It gave everyone a confidence boost for next season.” But it didn't help Savage, who was forced to turn down an invitation to the East-West Shrine Game. He also couldn't serve as an alternate for the Senior Bowl.
Instead, he put his workout schedule on hold for two weeks to rest and recuperate. He said he is healed and ready for the combine and a return to Pittsburgh on March 3 for Pitt's pro day. While working out with former NFL quarterback Travis Brown, he has learned that a strong arm — and he has one — isn't enough. “A lot of guys in the NFL can throw the ball 70 yards,” Savage said. “The tough thing is doing it with people in your face.” Working with Brown almost every day from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., he is trying to improve his footwork. “I want to quicken up my feet, quicken my game up in general,” he said. - Jerry DiPaola, Tribune-Review
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89767&draftyear=2014&genpos=QB

STRENGTHS: Big, tall strong-armed gunslinger who can make all the throws from the pocket, with a quick, fluid throwing motion. Could have the strongest arm in the 2014 class. Consistent drop exhibiting light feet to slide and move within the pocket. Senses pressure to side-step or elude to buy time. Leads receivers nicely on crossing routes, slants and out routes. Will drop it in the bucket. Impressive strength to drag or shrug off bigger defensive linemen and break tackles. Not an elite athlete but has a quick enough first step to escape the pocket with better-than-average acceleration for his size.
WEAKNESSES: Will overpower shorter-range throws that call for more touch. Passes tend to hang when he throws on the run. Won with arm strength in college, staring down his target from the snap without repercussions. Must learn to read and move defensive backs to create openings. Played only one year at Pittsburgh after a couple of transfers (Rutgers to Arizona to Pitt) and body of work is limited.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664316/tom-savage

[video=youtube;lj_ur03s0Kg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj_ur03s0Kg[/video]

132.RB Devonta Freeman, Florida St. 5'8" 206

01/11/14 - Report: Florida State's Devonta Freeman to enter NFL Draft...Another Florida State player is leaving school early to join the NFL Draft. The latest is running back Devonta Freeman. According to a report from ESPN, Freeman will make an official announcement on Monday. The report says Freeman received a third-round grade from the draft advisory committee, which matches up with CBSSports.com's projection for him. Whereever Freeman winds up, he won't be so easily replaced in Tallahassee. Freeman led Florida State in rushing this season with 1,016 yards and 14 rushing touchdowns. He also caught 22 passes for 278 yards and a score. Freeman becomes the fourth underclassmen to leave Florida State this year, joining fellow running back James Wilder, receiver Kelvin Benjamin and defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan. - Tom Fornelli, CBSSports.com
12/13/13 - 2013 ALL-ACC FIRST TEAM (COACHES): RB-Devonta Freeman, Jr., Florida State (28)...Has been selected First Team All-ACC for the 2013 college football season by the ACC Coaches. - Florida State football
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119500&draftyear=2015&genpos=RB

Strengths
Well-built with a compact frame. Very good eyes and lateral agility in the hole -- shimmies through small spaces and can create yardage where there is none. Squares his shoulders to the line and runs efficiently. Good lower-body strength, surprising power and superb balance. Tough and runs hard. Catches outside his frame and can make the difficult catch. Strong and nifty after the catch. Reliable in pass protection. Terrific competitor. Extremely durable and never missed a game. Works at his craft and is a student of the game.
Weaknesses
Lacks ideal size and power for a bellcow back and does not run heavily between the tackles. Does not possess home-run speed. Ran behind one of the most talented offensive lines in college football in an offense stacked with talent. Has been nagged by back injuries.
Draft Projection
Rounds 2-3
Bottom Line
Compactly built, downhill slasher with the agility and balanced skill set to emerge as a workhorse back. Earned the top assignment in a very talented backfield and has a similar build, running style and all-around utility as San Francisco 49ers 2005 third-round pick Frank Gore. Could prove to be a better pro than college player.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/devonta-freeman?id=2543583

[video=youtube;hcQkm1FRceM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcQkm1FRceM[/video]

133.WR T.J. Jones, Notre Dame 6'0" 188

01/13/14 - 2014 SHRINE GAME: TOP-10 PROSPECTS TO WATCH: 6. WR T.J. Jones, Notre Dame (6-0, 195, 4.54, #7)...With Tyler Eifert gone, Jones stepped up and led the Irish in receiving this past season, finishing his senior year with a career-best in catches (70), receiving yards (1,108) and touchdowns (9). He's a natural plucker with strong hands and projects as a down-the-road starter at the next level. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com
12/24/13 - 2013 FBS ALL-INDEPENDENT FIRST TEAM (MEDIA): WR TJ Jones (Sr.) Notre Dame,...Jones anchors the Notre Dame wide receiver corps. He leads the Irish in receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns. Jones is the seventh wide out in school history to surpass 1,000 yards receiving in a single season. His 65 catches, 1,042 yards and nine touchdown catches rank ninth, eighth and tied for ninth, respectively, in single-season school history.
Jones has recorded 100-yard receiving games on five different occasions in 2013 - tied for the fourth-most in school history. He also registered a touchdown grab in seven consecutive games, which is the second-longest streak in school history. Jones' career totals are equally impressive. He has caught 176 passes for 2,363 yards and 19 touchdowns. Jones ranks third in school history for all-time receptions, sixth in all-time receiving yards and tied for sixth in all-time touchdown catches. - Notre Dame football
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=109172&draftyear=2014&genpos=WR

Strengths
Fluid movement with good balance and body control. Releases cleanly and accelerates off the line. Excellent route runner. Sinks his hips and gets in and out of cuts cleanly to create separation. Adjusts to throws and has soft, reliable hands. Exhibits field awareness and is quarterback friendly. Quick and slippery after the catch. Comes from football family. Durable and experienced. Mature, likeable, intelligent team captain.
Weaknesses
Could stand to add some body armor and improve functional strength. Average physicality. Lacks elite top-end speed. Not exceptionally explosive, nor is he a go-up-and-get-it guy. Limited kick-return experience.
Bottom Line
Athletic, smooth-moving, polished receiver who runs crisp routes, has terrific hands and boasts NFL bloodlines. Balanced skill set, dependability and versatility will be valued at the next level, where he could be a productive No. 2 or No. 3 receiver in a sophisticated passing system. Arrow pointing up.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/t.j.-jones?id=2543836

[video=youtube;9Cw0JxzNbg0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cw0JxzNbg0[/video]

134.TE Crockett Gilmore, Colorado St. 6'6" 260

01/25/14 - 2014 Senior Bowl, Helped Themselves: Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorado State - Gilmore came in late to the Senior Bowl as an injury replacement but the former defensive end impressed scouts immediately with his size and overall athleticism. He really caught fire during Thursday's practice, extending to haul in an impressive touchdown and continued his stellar play in the game itself. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com
12/18/13 - 2013 ALL-MOUNTAIN WEST FIRST TEAM (COACHES/MEDIA): TE Crockett Gillmore, Sr., Colorado State,...Gillmore earned all-conference honors after hauling in 43 receptions for 533 yards. The 533 yards are the fourth-most in a single season by a CSU tight end and it is a figure that ranks as the ninth-most nationally among NCAA FBS tight ends. His blocking has also dramatically improved, helping the Rams rush for 202.7 yards per game. - Colorado State football
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=107759&draftyear=2014&genpos=TE

STRENGTHS: Good size potential. Possesses broad shoulders, long arms and a thick lower half. Has improved as a route-runner, showing a nice shoulder-dip to slip past defenders at the line of scrimmage, as well as fair agility, balance and burst to create separation.
Natural hands for the reception. High-points passes, showing impressive hand-eye coordination, timing on his leap and overall body control. Competitive blocker who gets a solid initial shove on the defender and works to sustain. Shows some nastiness as a blocker, knocking defenders to the ground when he senses them off-balance.
WEAKNESSES: Lacks ideal initial burst off the snap and is only a fair athlete, overall. Lumbers a bit off the line of scrimmage, showing only average top-end speed. Doesn't explode out of his cuts, struggling to create consistent separation against man coverage. Could use more upper body development.
COMPARES TO: Jeff King, Arizona Cardinals - Gillmore isn't an elite athlete who will zip past NFL defenders, but even when he's covered closely his hand-eye coordination and big, soft mitts make him a solid short-yardage and red-zone target worthy of a roster spot.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1785885/crockett-gillmore

Curious i just saw Erik Swoope declared having zero football experience before. How many solid TEs have been bball players before going nfl with no football experience before. And how does Swoope fare?

[video=youtube;yqRmvD4gujg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqRmvD4gujg[/video]

135.OG John Urschel, Penn St. 6'3 313

02/20/14 - 2014 NFL Combine: From 40 times to Fritos, 10 Bold Predictions: 4. Wiz kid could challenge Wonderlic. The NFL says the famed Wonderlic isn't an intelligence test, but Penn State right guard John Urschel is smart enough to recognize the exam for what it is. This year's recipient of the William V. Campbell Trophy as the nation's top football scholar-athlete is smart enough to recognize plenty of things. He earned a 4.0 GPA while receiving his Master's Degree in Mathematics in May, and spent his off-time teaching a class (Trigonometry and Analytic Geometry) to fellow Penn State students.
Further, he had a paper published -- "Instabilities of the Sun-Jupiter-Asteroid Three Body Problem" -- last spring in the journal, Celestial Mechanics and Dynamical Astronomy. Math is one of several content areas found on the Wonderlic and therefore it is possible that Urschel may not get a perfect score. If he doesn't, I'm pretty confident that with a series of pie charts and bar graphs, he'll be to convince us that his test was actually better than perfect and that the whole 100 percent idea is actually throwing off his Bell curve. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

12/05/13 - 2013 ALL-BIG TEN FIRST TEAM (MEDIA): John Urschel, Penn State, Guard...Urschel has started all 24 games at right guard the past two seasons. He was instrumental in helping Hackenberg break several school freshman and all-time game and season passing records and Zach Zwinak and Bill Belton combine to rush for 1,792 yards this season. Urschel joins Jeff Hartings (1993-95) and Stefen Wisniewski (2009-10) as the Nittany Lions' offensive linemen to earn multiple first-team All-Big Ten accolades. - Penn State football
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=97120&draftyear=2014&genpos=OG

Strengths
Highly intelligent -- will be successful with or without football. Engages quickly. Good leverage, balance and body control. Works his feet and hips to position and seal. Can pull and trap and work up to the second level very quickly. Protects with awareness. Shuffles, slides and mirrors. Three-year starter. Team captain. Sparkling intangibles. Well-versed in a pro-style offense having played for newly minted Texans coach Bill O'Brien.
Weaknesses
Lacks ideal size and plays short-armed. Functional strength is just adequate -- gets pushed back. Is not explosive or powerful. Lets defenders cross his face and struggles to reach. Athletic ability is average.
Bottom Line
Underpowered, quick-footed, scrappy, zone blocker with the smarts, movement skill and competitive zeal to emerge as a very efficient pro. Displays the quickness highly desired at the pivot and might prove to be best at center.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/john-urschel?id=2543845

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious i just saw Erik Swoope declared having zero football experience before. How many solid TEs have been bball players before going nfl with no football experience before. And how does Swoope fare?
I would say the odds are stacked against him, but who knows? Gates and Gonzalez made the transition, but they had at least some experience with the game.

[video=youtube;79TIF73Ooe0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79TIF73Ooe0[/video]

136.OT Ja'Wuan James, Tennessee 6'6" 311

04/04/14 - Week 5 Pro Day Takeaways: While junior left tackle Antonio Richardson has received the most fanfare, it was senior right tackle Ju'Wuan James who turned in the best workout, demonstrating the impressive fluidity and balance which helped him start all 49 games of his collegiate career.
12/11/13 - 2013 ASSOCIATED PRESS ALL-SEC SECOND TEAM: OL - Ja'Waun James, Tennessee, 6-6, 316, Sr,...Over the course of the season, the Vols offensive line helped UT to five 200-yard rushing games and a 1,000-yard rusher in Rajion Neal, the first 1,000 yard rusher since Poole in 2010. James started all 49 games of his college career, all at right tackle. With 49 starts, the Suwanee, Ga., native set the record for career starts by an offensive lineman in Tennessee history, passing Jeff Smith (48). His 49 games played, stands second to former teammate and 2013 Senior Bowl invitee Dallas Thomas (50) for most games played on the offensive line at Tennessee. - Tennessee football
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=108944&draftyear=2014&genpos=OT

Strengths
Outstanding size, girth and overall body mass. Good hand placement. Can steer and control blockers once he gets his hands on them. Very patient pass protector. Matches up very well vs. size and power (see Alabama). Battle-tested, experienced four-year starter in the SEC. Outstanding personal and football character. Very smart, mature and highly respected.
Weaknesses
Raw footwork. Has a lot of heaviness in body and can improve sustain. Lumbers to the second level and struggles to cut off and adjust to moving targets. Does not roll off the ball with power and generate strength or movement in the run game.
Bottom Line
Big, strong, heavy pass protector with good balance, anchor strength and hand use to handle power and speed. Does not affect the run game the same way and almost appears more destined for the left side in the pros. Has instant-starter potential.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/ja'wuan-james?id=2543755

[video=youtube;sMhPNHF1Y90]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMhPNHF1Y90[/video]

137.C Chris Elkins, Youngstown State 6' 2" 289

01/03/14 - 2013 ASSOCIATED PRESS FCS SECOND TEAM ALL-AMERICAN: OL Chris Elkins, Youngstown State, Sr.,...Elkins had a standout senior campaign for the Penguins and was named second-team All-America by The Associated Press and third-team by The Sports Network. He was a two-time first-team All-Missouri Valley Football Conference honoree. - Youngstown State football
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=107111&draftyear=2014&genpos=C

Strengths
Plays with leverage and competes. Able to bend his knees and work his hips. Nice mobility to the second level. Durable, experienced team captain with 38 career starts. Has played center and guard. Assignment-sound, consistent performer who did not allow a sack as a senior. At his pro day, had outstanding 40-yard time (4.98 seconds) and three-cone drill time (7.33 seconds), which would have led all guards at the combine.
Weaknesses
Plays short-armed and hand strength is just pedestrian. Does not jolt or control defenders. Could stand to improve his balance. Cannot overpower interior defenders and could struggle to anchor against widebodies.
Draft Projection
Priority free agent
Bottom Line
Left-handed, scrappy positional blocker who will have to prove versatile enough to provide depth at more than one interior position to give himself a chance to stick in a zone-blocking scheme.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/chris-elkins?id=2543887

[video=youtube;rnc-2KFPiT8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnc-2KFPiT8[/video]

138.DT Anthony Johnson, Louisiana St. 6'3" 308

01/03/14 - LSU DT Anthony Johnson declares for draft...No defense in the country knows the feeling of seeing talented juniors leave for the NFL Draft than LSU 's, and it looks like nothing will change where the 2014 version is concerned. Starting Tiger defensive tackle Anthony Johnson tweeted Thursday that he will forgo his senior season in Baton Rouge and enter April's draft. Johnson led LSU with 9 tackles for loss in 2013, his first season as a full-time starter, and finished fifth on the team with three sacks. It speaks to Johnson's immense potential that those numbers were considered slightly disappointing after a sophomore season with 10 tackles-for-loss and three sacks as the third member of the Tigers' tackle rotation.
The 6-foot-3, 294-pound Johnson was a consensus five-star prospect and the No. 1 defensive tackle in the class of 2011 coming out of New Orleans' Perry Walker High School, earning the nickname "Freak" for his quickness and agility. LSU could lose both of its starting defensive tackles if fellow junior Ego Ferguson also declares for the draft. - Jerry Hinnen, CBSSports.com
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119332&draftyear=2015&genpos=DT

STRENGTHS: Johnson' best attribute at this point is his initial quickness. He is frequently the first of LSU's defensive linemen off the ball, and was so even with Mingo and Montgomery still apart of this unit. Johnson's athleticism, power and well-proportioned frame form a unique combination that is sure to intrigue scouts. His burst helps him slip through gaps quickly. He also possesses long arms and the strength to extend and shed blocks in the running game. Light on his feet and a high-effort player in pursuit, Johnson can make plays all over the field.
WEAKNESSES: He is far from a polished product at this point, however, often playing too high and showing little in the way of refined pass rush technique.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1824830/anthony-johnson

[video=youtube;3QpseuTxhRk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QpseuTxhRk#t=36[/video]

139.DE Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas 6'3" 247

02/20/14 - 2014 NFL Draft Scout Pre-Combine Top 64 Prospects: 51. Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas, 6-4, 250, 4.78, 2...Still seems to show more potential than production, but is attractive because he has the athleticism to play with his hand on the ground or stand up and drop into coverage. Was sidelined by severely sprained ankle in 2010 and then a torn pectoral muscle in 2012 for which he had surgery. His father, Jim, was a standout defensive lineman for the Dallas Cowboys (1983-94) and Buffalo Bills (1995-97) and has served as the defensive line coach at the University of Houston and Colorado. - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange
12/13/13 - 2013 WALTER CAMP FIRST TEAM ALL-AMERICAN: DL Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas, 6-5 250, Sr., Plano, TX...Named the Ted Hendricks Award winner on Wednesday, Jeffcoat ranks third in the FBS in sacks (1.0 per game) and fifth among defensive linemen in fumbles recovered (0.25 pg). With a team-high 80 tackles, he is the only defensive lineman in the FBS to lead his team in that category. Jeffcoat also has a team-best 21 tackles for loss and 18 quarterback pressures.
Jeffcoat ranks tied for third on Texas' career TFL list with 59 and eighth in sacks with 26.5. His 12 sacks this season are the second most by a Longhorn in the last 29 seasons (Alex Okafor - 12.5 in 2012). He is the fifth Texas defensive end named a Walter Camp first team All-American and first since Brian Orakpo in 2008. - Texas football
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=108975&draftyear=2014&genpos=DE

STRENGTHS: Looks the part with a solidly-built frame. Strong and forceful hands to attack, beat and fight through blocks. Works off contact well to stay controlled and be a force behind the line of scrimmage. Quick feet and lateral agility to sidestep blocks and close quickly. Makes plays all over the field with his chase speed and relentless pursuit. Nice job in space to stay disciplined with his eyes and won?t miss many tackles vs. the run. Top-notch motor and gives top effort, giving consistent hustle through the whistle. Strong competitor and works hard to finish. Versatile experience on the line and as a spy linebacker, lining up in both two and three point stance. Very good bloodlines as the son of Jefferson Jeffcoat, 15-year NFL veteran. Strong senior season, leading the team in tackles (86), tackles for loss (22.0) and sacks (13.0), earning the Ted Hendricks Award (nation?s top defensive end) and Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year Award.
WEAKNESSES: Broad shoulders, but large chest gives big target for blockers. Leaner than ideal with average strength and muscle definition. Lacks ideal functional strength to win at the point of attack with power, too easily blocked out of the play. Rushes too upright and plays too high with little bend. Tweener traits with inconsistent pad level. Straight-linish and lacks ideal ankle and hip fluidity. Limited creativity with his pass rush moves. Too easily handled in the run game and inconsistent holding contain, too easily tied up with single blockers. Battled injuries most of his career, missing most of 2012 with a right pectoral muscle rupture that required surgery.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737095/jackson-jeffcoat

[video=youtube;p9Zm8oWu1m8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Zm8oWu1m8[/video]

140.ILB Jeremiah George, Iowa St. 5'11" 234

12/12/13 - 2013 ALL-BIG 12 HONORABLE MENTION (COACHES): Jeremiah George (Def. PoY)...George capped off his outstanding Cyclone career in 2013 by leading the Big 12 and ranking fourth nationally in tackles at 11.1. George, who was ISU’s leader in sacks (3.5), tackles for loss (12.0), forced fumbles (3) and interceptions (2), registered double digits in tackles in nine of 12 games during the year. - Iowa State football
12/12/13 - 2013 ASSOCIATED PRESS ALL-BIG 12 FIRST TEAM: LB Jeremiah George, Iowa St., 5-11, 219, Sr., Clearwater, Fla.,...A native of Clearwater, Fla., George capped off his outstanding Cyclone career in 2013 by leading the Big 12 and ranking fourth nationally in tackles at 11.1. George, who was ISU’s leader in sacks (3.5), tackles for loss (12.0), forced fumbles (3) and interceptions (2), registered double digits in tackles in nine of 12 games during the year. - Iowa State football
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=107695&draftyear=2014&genpos=ILB

Positive: Two-year starter who lead Iowa State with 133 tackles last season. Also registered 12 tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks. Junior totals included 87 tackles in nine starts. Small pursuit linebacker who chases hard to make plays. Instinctive, quickly finds the ball, and scrapes well laterally. Plays sideline to sideline, quick getting outside the box in pursuit, and fires though gaps in run defense. Plays faster than his 40-time, fearless, and plays with reckless abandon. Sells out on the blitz, covers a good amount of area, and cuts off the corners from runners.
Negative: Not a stout tackler as runners pick up yardage off initial contact. Overmatched by tight ends.
Analysis: George took off at an incredible rate the past two seasons and has enough skill to line up on the inside of a 3-4 alignment in the NFL. He plays with a special teams mentality, which is added value.
http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/2014/ILB/Jeremiah-George

[video=youtube;Vt8BN1Ims-0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt8BN1Ims-0[/video]

141.OLB Christian Kirksey, Iowa 6'2" 233

01/25/14 - 2014 Senior Bowl, Helped Themselves: Christian Kirksey, OLB, Iowa - The Big Ten remains one of college football's most consistent producers of pro-ready linebackers and Kirksey turned heads this week with his athleticism and instincts. A particularly impressive tackle early in the Senior Bowl game, itself, showed off his closing speed. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com
12/05/13 - 2013 ALL-BIG TEN HONORABLE MENTION (COACHES): Christian Kirksey,...Kirksey recorded 11 tackles against Nebraska to become the 17th player in program history to record 300 career tackles. Kirksey has 308 career stops, good enough for 17th in program history, and ranks ninth in the Big Ten with 8.1 tackles per game. - Iowa football
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=109462&draftyear=2014&genpos=OLB

STRENGTHS: Boasts a lanky, lean frame with long arms and legs, and demonstrates nice fluidity and agility in space. Versatile athlete who was used a lot to cover the slot in nickel coverage, and demonstrated quick hips to turn and run with receivers and tight ends stride for stride.
Explosive first step coming downhill, and uses his length to keep him clean in pursuit. Demonstrates nice physicality when playing up at the line of scrimmage, maintaining active hands and a willingness to engage bigger blockers.
Despite his thinner frame, he uses leverage well with a flexible lower half and good arm extension to hold ground against the run in the trenches. Nice agility moving laterally to either side, and takes good angles to the sidelines against the run. Can stop and start with quickness.
WEAKNESSES: Isn't always disciplined to maintain his gap and will over-pursue at times against the run. Drops his head too often as a tackler, particularly up near the line of scrimmage. Although improved, he can still be off-and-on in terms of run instincts as he appears to diagnose before the snap, at times, while reacting late in others.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1785875/christian-kirksey

Last edited by a moderator:
[video=youtube;9VQWSfdCooM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VQWSfdCooM[/video]

142.CB Keith McGill, Utah 6'3" 211

04/21/14 - 2014 NFL Draft Defensive Backs: Keith McGill, Utah, 6-3, 211, 4.51...Former JUCO All-America safety at Cerritos, McGill lasted only five games there with the Utes before a shoulder injury dictated a move to cornerback. McGill shows field awareness of a safety and even baits quarterbacks to throw underneath routes where he excels at closing on the ball. Uses height and long arms well, but lacks unbridled enthusiasm on run support. Frankly: Curiously reminiscent of Nnamdi Asomugha (Cal, Raiders, Eagles, 49ers), who maximized his height and ball skills as a boundary-style cornerback to make All-Pro. Like Asomugha, McGill seems more suited for safety except for that bad shoulder, which may explain why neither of them will be remembered as a big hitter. - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange
03/26/14 - 2014 Pro Days: Reilly, Murphy stand out at Utah workout...Defensive back Keith McGill enjoyed a solid workout, as well. The 6-foot-3, 213 pounder was clocked at 4.52-4.54 seconds on his two 40-yard dash attempts -- terrific times for a cornerback of his size. Given the copycat nature of the NFL, don't be surprised if a team drafts McGill in the hopes that he'll prove to be the next Richard Sherman. According to the Utes' report, representatives from 20 NFL teams were on hand for the workout. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com
01/22/14 - 2014 Senior Bowl Wednesday...Some flashy plays were turned in members of the secondary -- especially Liberty cornerback Walt Aikens and Vanderbilt safety Kenny Ladler -- but the news wasn't so good for Utah cornerback Keith McGill, who appeared to be battling cramps throughout the practice. McGill is a talented player whose terrific size (6-foot-3, 213 pounds) and ball-skills is sure to draw plenty of interest of teams as either a cornerback or potential safety conversion. Unfortunately, McGill appeared to feel the greatest pain on pass plays in which he was clearly already beaten. Some will credit McGill with fighting through the pain to return to the action (trainers worked on him yesterday too) but there were some in the stands who wondered aloud about his toughness. Seattle Seahawks general manager John Schneider, who, of course, has shown a fondness for lanky cornerbacks, had as good a view as anyone of McGill and their trainers working with him by observing the action from the sideline. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com
12/03/13 - 2013 ALL-PAC-12 HONORABLE MENTION (COACHES): DB Keith McGill, Sr.,...Has been selected All-Pac 12 Honorable Mention for the 2013 college football season as voted on by the Pac-12 Head football coaches. - Utah football
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=95081&draftyear=2014&genpos=CB

STRENGTHS: Tall, well-proportioned athlete with intriguing fluidity and straight-line speed. Frequently asked to play press in Utah's scheme and displays the balance, agility and acceleration to perform well in this role at the next level.
Alert defender who plays the ball well, using his height, leaping ability and long arms to bat away passes. Baits quarterbacks into throwing underneath routes and shows an explosive downhill burst to close. Generally effective open-field tackler with the long arms to wrap securely.
Signed with Utah as a JUCO All-American free safety at Cerritos College and logged five starts in this role for the Utes in 2011. Has the length, instincts and athleticism to project nicely in the NFL. Served as the gunner on kick coverage and handled outside duties on punt returns.
WEAKNESSES: Often lines up with his hips open, helping him turn more efficiently to run downfield with receivers. Often sneaks in a strong pop on the receivers deep downfield, which could earn him holding penalties in the NFL. While physically imposing, McGill shows only average toughness, too often hand-fighting with smaller receivers' blocks downfield rather than aggressively defeating them and attacking the ballcarrier.
A bit hesitant when forced to break down and make tackles in the open field and can resort to lunging attempts at arm tackles rather than driving through the ballcarrier. Only fair hands for the interception and will occasionally drop easy picks (Arizona State).
Missed as many games as he played while at Utah, losing the final eight games of the 2011 season due to a shoulder injury and rehabbing the entire 2012 campaign following surgery to correct the issue.
COMPARES TO: Trumaine Johnson, Rams -- Like the young Rams standout, McGill has the length and athleticism scouts adore at cornerback. Whereas Johnson had to answer character questions before getting drafted, NFL teams may need reassurance of McGill's durability before drafting him as high as his talents warrant.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1825051/keith-mcgill

Back
Top Bottom