2017 NFL Draft Prospects | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2017 NFL Draft Prospects

He is talented, but when you punch your girlfriend and threaten her with a gun, I do not have a lot of respect for you. Somebody will probably take a flyer on him in the later rounds. He'll either join the human race or he will end up like Greg Hardy.

Oh, wow. Now it all makes sense. People don't just fall off the radar like that for nothing. :lol:

RB Jeremy McNichols Boise State 5-9 214

[video=youtube;Ppm63ckrs8Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppm63ckrs8Q[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:5'9"
Weight:214
Arm:31 1/2
Hand:10
40 Yard Official:4.49
Bench:
Vertical:35.5
Broad:121
3-Cone:6.93
S. Shuttle:4.28
60 Yard Shuttle:

STRENGTHS: Short but possesses a powerful, compact frame with well-built arms and a thick lower half that testifies to his work in the weight room. McNichols shows good initial quickness to press the line and can dart through openings when there. He tip-taps his way through traffic nicely, showing very good footwork to dance past would-be tacklers attempting to take out his legs. He possesses good vision and the burst to take advantage of cut-back lanes, as well as an effective stop-start move to elude and stiff-arm to knock away defenders. McNichols runs with good forward lean to take on would-be tacklers, spinning and keeping his legs churning to break tackles to maximize his runs. He is highly experienced as a pass-blocker, showing awareness and courage to take on hard-charging defenders. While lacking elite size for this role, McNichols anchors well to absorb and shows good quickness and accuracy to strike at the legs of oncoming defenders on cut blocks. McNichols is a reliable pass catcher, showing the ability to extend and pluck outside of his frame without slowing down. He has experience splitting out wide as a receiver, showing good body control and quickness to create separation.
WEAKNESSES: McNichols lacks the size and speed to excite scouts. He is more quick than fast, lacking the second gear to pull away from defenders. He can get impatient as an interior runner, opting to bounce it outside but does not possess the instant acceleration to leave defenders in his wake. He does not consistently wrap both arms around the ball while in traffic. While alert in pass protection, McNichols can become too reliant on cut-blocks to slow defenders.
IN OUR VIEW: McNichols is not going to wow anyone with his bulk or speed but his vision, patience and naturally low-center of gravity make him an effective interior runner capable of also helping on third down due to his soft hands and willingness in pass protection.
COMPARES TO: Cedric Peerman, Cincinnati Bengals: McNichols has the combination of running, receiving and return ability to carve out a solid career in the NFL, albeit one as a reserve rather than as the headliner that his admittedly impressive statistics might suggest.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2139987/jeremy-mcnichols

Last edited by a moderator:
WR Cooper Kupp Eastern Washington 6-2 204

[video=youtube;_o6P2MrdYgU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o6P2MrdYgU[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:6'2"
Weight:204
Arm:31 1/2
Hand:9 1/2
40 Yard Official:4.62
Bench:
Vertical:31
Broad:116
3-Cone:6.75
S. Shuttle:4.08
60 Yard Shuttle:

STRENGTHS: Adequate height and length for the position. Gliding straight-line athlete. Crafty route runner, setting up defenders and using hesitation to create spacing. Clearly leans on his technique and trusts it. Sticky hands with the natural coordination to pluck the ball. Excellent awareness at the catch point and doesn't need to gear down to assess his surroundings after the catch. At his best on in-cutting and post routes to manipulate space in the middle of the field. Not shy about using his abusive stiff arm to pick up extra yards, refusing to concede as a ballcarrier. Capable of the big play with 37 receiving plays in his career of at least 40 yards. Clean off the field with excellent work habits. Four-year starter and four-time consensus FCS All-American. NFL bloodlines -- father (Craig) was a quarterback and fifth round pick of the New York Giants in the 1990 NFL Draft, also playing for the Phoenix Cardinals and Dallas Cowboys; grandfather (Jake) was an offensive guard and ninth round pick in the 1964 NFL Draft of the Dallas Cowboys, playing 12 seasons in the NFL, mostly for the New Orleans Saints where he was a five-time team captain. Performed exceptionally well vs. better programs with 40 catches for 716 yards and 11 touchdowns in four career games vs. Pac-12 competition. Holds the NCAA all-division record for receiving yards (6,464) and holds 15 FCS receiving records, including 428 catches and 73 receiving touchdowns in his career.
WEAKNESSES: Marginal long-speed and lacks explosive twitch in his patterns. Relies more on timing/nuance than burst to create separation mid-route. Won't consistently make NFL defenders miss in space. Unthreatening body type and build for the position. Holds the ball too loose from his body, inviting defenders to force turnovers. Needs to improve his hand use to beat press and unglue himself at the top of routes. Missed playing time as a senior due to sprained AC joints in both shoulders (Sept. 2016). Thrived against lesser competition over his career at the FCS-level.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2006951/cooper-kupp

Waynes is a poor comp for Jones. And, it's funny to see them compliment Jones' feet and hips in the sentence prior to justifying the comp. Lb for lb, Waynes has maybe the worst feet and hips of any CB drafted in the 1st RD since 2010, anyway. He's strictly a straight-line CB. Jones doesn't have Waynes' speed, which makes the comp even stranger.

TE Evan Engram Ole Miss 6-3 234

[video=youtube;yaZ_OmDpAGE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaZ_OmDpAGE[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:6'3"
Weight:234
Arm:33 1/2
40 Yard Official:4.42
Bench:19
Vertical:36
Broad:125
3-Cone:
S. Shuttle:
60 Yard Shuttle:

STRENGTHS: While listed as a tight end on the roster, Engram is better described as a versatile offensive weapon, lining up out wide, in-line and in the background at Ole Miss. He looks more like a physical wideout than traditional tight end with his size and growth potential, but his athleticism allows him to create mismatches vs. linebackers and safeties.
Engram has elite short-area quickness for the position with excellent release off the line of scrimmage and agile feet to create separation out of his breaks and make defenders miss. He is also a tougher blocker than he looks with a quick punch and excellent balance.
IN OUR VIEW: Engram might not fit the prototypical profile of NFL tight ends, but he can be a difference-maker in the right offense.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2079887/evan-engram

Strengths Good explosion over the first 5 yards of his route. Plus athletic ability with easy-opening hips. Nimble feet with quick, controlled strides into and out of his breaks. Accelerates out of his breaks to uncover from defenders for quarterback. Will have to be guarded by defensive backs. Opens quickly to find the ball. Successful working all three levels at Ole Miss. Has true vertical speed to attack the seams. Competitive, athletic runner after the catch. Springy leaper. Jumped out of the gym to snare a touchdown over the head of a Georgia defender. Able to pluck balls low, high, and behind him.
Weaknesses Needs to learn when and where to sit down in the middle of the field. Must learn to do a better job of working back to the ball. Doesn't post up defenders effectively. Allows defender to work through him and disrupt the catch. Has had issues with drops and contested catches could be an issue. Allows throws to beat him up at times. Needs to do better job of selling a two-way go to the top of his routes rather than giving route direction away. Move tight end only who lacks dependability as a blocker.
NFL Comparison Jordan Reed
Bottom Line Makes up for his lack of size with athletic ability and plus speed for the position. Engram has experience as a safety blanket for Ole Miss QB Chad Kelly and can work all three levels of the field. He will appeal strictly to teams looking for a move tight end who can be deployed as a chess piece in a matchup-based passing attack. Engram's ability to stress defenses could land him on Day 2 (Rounds 2-3) of the draft and a potential starting role early in his career.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/evan-engram?id=2557858

Waynes is a poor comp for Jones. And, it's funny to see them compliment Jones' feet and hips in the sentence prior to justifying the comp. Lb for lb, Waynes has maybe the worst feet and hips of any CB drafted in the 1st RD since 2010, anyway. He's strictly a straight-line CB. Jones doesn't have Waynes' speed, which makes the comp even stranger.

Terrible comparison. I'm not even convinced the author meant Trae Waynes, because he listed his team as the Bengals instead of the Vikings.

I also didn't understand the likeness of Roderick Johnson to Ju'Waun James. Johnson is much more talented but also considerably more erratic. With James you knew it was a solid pick with high floor but not the biggest gamble on greatness.

One comparison I have from the recent pages in this thread is Derek Barnett of Tennessee to Jared Odrick. Every time I watched Barnett, Odrick's playing style and temperament came to mind. Odrick is taller.

C Jon Toth Kentucky 6-5 307

[video=youtube;acndypGAjUc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acndypGAjUc[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:6'5"
Weight:307
Arm:33 5/8
40 Yard Official:5.51
Bench:21
Vertical:25.5
Broad:100
3-Cone:8.09
S. Shuttle:4.84
60 Yard Shuttle:

STRENGTHS: Good size for center with enough length and agility to project outside to guard for zone-blocking schemes. Possesses a broad-shouldered rangy frame with plenty of room for additional muscle mass. Technically sound pass protector who can absorb bull rushers due to his knee bend and core flexibility and uses good hand placement and foot shuffling to effectively corral opponents. Experince shows in his awareness when adjusting to twists and surprise blitzers. Shows excellent initial quickness in his snap and pop to defensive tackles, including in down blocks. Possesses the body control and speed to release from blocks at the line of scrimmage and climb to the second level, where he shows awareness and vision to locate and latch onto opponents. Looks for work when not covered. Keeps his head on a swivel and plays on the balls of his feet, quickly sliding to assist the guards. Smart, durable player who handles all of the line calls. Has played in 49 career games with an NCAA-best 48 consecutive starts (including the TaxSlayer Bowl vs. Georgia Tech) to cap his career.
WEAKNESSES: More of a corral than control type of blocker, lacking much of a power element to his game. Reliant upon his use of leverage and quickness to wall off defenders and create rushing lanes but struggles with physically driving opponents off the ball. At times is too eager to release from his initial block to get to the second level, failing to sustain either long enough to effectively neutralize the opponent. May project better to guard or tackle in the NFL, making him a bit of a project.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1995664/jon-toth

OT Adam Bisnowaty Pittsburgh 6-6 304

[video=youtube;b0Mi2H4cyPQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Mi2H4cyPQ[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:6'6"
Weight:304
Arm:33 7/8
Hand:11 3/8
40 Yard Official:5.23
Bench:23
Vertical:29.5
Broad:96
3-Cone:8.02
S. Shuttle:4.94
60 Yard Shuttle:

STRENGTHS: With his broad shoulders, long arms and higher-cut frame, Bisnowaty possesses the athletic almost-TE-like build scouts are looking for in today's modern offensive tackle. Bisnowaty possesses impressive initial quickness off the snap for a man of his size and has sticky hands, typically controlling opponents once he latches on. While his build may suggest a finesse style of play, Bisnowaty's aggression and physicality certainly counters that perception. He plays with a guard's mentality, firing off the snap and supplying a powerful initial punch to jolt opponents. Bisnowaty shows good initial quickness and lateral agility with short, choppy steps to "chuck" his way in reverse and he can control edge rushers with his long arms and powerful grip. He shows the ability to anchor, showing good core flexibility and at least adequate balance to remain outside at tackle in the NFL. His upper body power and also shows up in the running game, where Bisnowaty shows some nastiness in his play, often driving opponents off the ball and playing through the whistle.
WEAKNESSES: While quicker than he looks, Bisnowaty projects best to right tackle or perhaps even guard in the NFL because he lacks elite balance and agility for pass protection against speed rushers. He can be a tick slow off the snap and allows his pads to rise as he retreats in pass protection, leaving him vulnerable to bull rushers. Though mostly durable, Bisnowaty missed at least one game due to injury in three of his four seasons, making his medical evaluation at the Combine one to watch.
IN OUR VIEW: Bisnowaty has the physical talent and mean streak to project as a starting right tackle in the NFL, though his adaptation to the new position could require some patience.
COMPARES TO: Breno Giacomini, New York Jets: Possessing a similar size and playing style, Bisnowaty appears likely to join Giacomini as a future starting right tackle for a club built around a downhill running game.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1998880/adam-bisnowaty

Terrible comparison. I'm not even convinced the author meant Trae Waynes, because he listed his team as the Bengals instead of the Vikings.

I also didn't understand the likeness of Roderick Johnson to Ju'Waun James. Johnson is much more talented but also considerably more erratic. With James you knew it was a solid pick with high floor but not the biggest gamble on greatness.

One comparison I have from the recent pages in this thread is Derek Barnett of Tennessee to Jared Odrick. Every time I watched Barnett, Odrick's playing style and temperament came to mind. Odrick is taller.

The agility tests will be big for Barnett, imo. I think he has to show a near elite combo of strength and agility. I'm sold on his strength, and watching him bend the corner, I'm nearly sold on his agility. I see similarities to Odrick, but aside from the difference in size and position, Barnett's elite strength/bend separates himself from Odrick at the college level. I think the combine should give us a good idea as to how that will translate to the NFL.

I've only watched Johnson here and there while watching other players, but I did see him lose in weird ways, and I know that Slimm hates him.

Without any trades, based on the draft scout rankings, my initial look for Miami would be something like this (not really expecting these players to be available in these rounds, but whatevs):

1. Zach Cunningham
2. Pat Elflein
3. Jordan Willis
5. Devonte Fields
5. Jeremy Sprinkle
5. Steven Taylor (rated as a 7th currently)
6. Tedric Thompson
7. Nate Gerry (rated as an UDFA currently)

[video=youtube_share;YfDD-vsah5o]https://youtu.be/YfDD-vsah5o[/video]

STRENGTHS: Consistent field range with closing speed and foot quickness to recover after a false step. Hustler and never quits on a play, racking up the mileage making stops all over the field. Determined chaser and arrives with purpose. Strong hands/limbs (ambidextrous) and plays with a physical mindset. Quick to diagnose and understands pursuit angles, finding the quickest route to the ball. Football junky with top-notch character - voted a captain at two different programs (as a junior at Cal and as a senior at Illinois). Productive starting experience with 100+ tackles the past two seasons. NFL bloodlines and grew up around the league - father (Hardy) played 16 seasons in the NFL (1987-2002) and made five Pro Bowls.
WEAKNESSES: Undersized with narrow shoulders and limited growth potential. Doesn't have the core power, base strength or arm length to hold his ground vs. blockers and can be too easily driven from run lanes. Not a banger between the tackles and often lost in a crowd. Will bounce off physical downhill runners and a better tackler in space. Needs to improve his anticipation pre-snap, taking himself out of plays with misreads. Plays with proper tackling mechanics, but needs to better come to balance on the move to eliminate the missed tackles. Too reactive with cover assignments.

--Dane Brugler (1/5/17)

The agility tests will be big for Barnett, imo. I think he has to show a near elite combo of strength and agility. I'm sold on his strength, and watching him bend the corner, I'm nearly sold on his agility. I see similarities to Odrick, but aside from the difference in size and position, Barnett's elite strength/bend separates himself from Odrick at the college level. I think the combine should give us a good idea as to how that will translate to the NFL.

I've only watched Johnson here and there while watching other players, but I did see him lose in weird ways, and I know that Slimm hates him.

Without any trades, based on the draft scout rankings, my initial look for Miami would be something like this (not really expecting these players to be available in these rounds, but whatevs):

1. Zach Cunningham
2. Pat Elflein
3. Jordan Willis
5. Devonte Fields
5. Jeremy Sprinkle
6. Tedric Thompson

J-off ....would like that draft. Pat Eflein would be a perfect fit as someone who can play center or guard. Willis in the 3rd would be a steal. Have to think he goes R2 with his Senior Bowl performance. Devonte Fields is very interesting. I know at the beginning of the year he was talked about as a top 50 guy. Don't think he's very physical, but he can rush the passer.

DT Dalvin Tomlinson Alabama 6-3 310

[video=youtube;huPQFipWegY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huPQFipWegY[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:6'3"
Weight:310
Arm:33 1/2
Hand:10 1/8
40 Yard Official:5.19
Bench:
Vertical:27
Broad:110
3-Cone:7.68
S. Shuttle:4.58
60 Yard Shuttle:

Tomlinson was just a relatively unknown tough guy along the seemingly endless supply of Alabama defensive tackles last year. That was no slight to Tomlinson. It was an expected side effect of having Reed and Robinson in front of him. This season, Tomlinson is one of the focal points of the Tide defensive front and his tape is beginning to impress NFL scouts. Tomlinson isn't an exciting pass rusher, but he works within the scheme to occupy blockers and free teammate Jonathan Allen along the defensive front. Tomlinson's go-to attribute is his ability to stuff the run and do so with outstanding technique and power in his hands. When the process completes itself, don't be surprised to see Tomlinson, a senior, considered in about the same spot where Reed went last year (second round, 49th overall pick).
http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4047314-dt-dalvin-tomlinson-and-fs-marcus-williams/

Strengths Good arm length with power in his large hands. Fires jarring punch into blockers quickly and is in control of the rep. Has good feel for double teams. Broad, powerful hips and strong post leg helps him drop anchor against down blocks. Awareness and power helps him constrict his gaps. Maintains two-gap responsibility until it's time to tackle. Doesn't linger on blocks long. Stacks and sheds with consistency. Locates ball quickly. Recognizes run-direction tendency from certain formations. Long, lateral step allows him to get head-start on blocker and prevent being reached. Quality motor and effort. Chases outside his area like he expects to make the play. Willing to do dirty work in Alabama's twisting defensive scheme. Does outstanding job of occupying both blockers on twists. Active hands in passing lane to bat down passes.
Weaknesses Only one season playing more than 45 percent of team's defensive snaps. Is surrounded by upper-echelon prospects, which eases attention on him. Slow-twitch defender who lacks quickness into neutral zone off the snap. Most pass-rush success comes via twists and games up front. Not a threat to beat interior pass protection with rush moves. Makes predictable pass-rush charges and doesn't garner enough pocket push as bull rusher.
Sources Tell Us "I don't know how he flew under the radar so long because he is a dude. If you liked those guys from last year (Jarran Reed and A'Shawn Robinson), no reason you won't like this one." -- AFC South area scout
NFL Comparison Dan Williams
Bottom Line Prototypical Alabama defensive tackle who wins with leverage, power and technique. Tomlinson's powerful frame and ability to stack the run between the tackles could make him a scheme-flexible target in the draft. While he is likely to be drafted as a run bully, his history of operating in Alabama's stunt-and-twist-oriented defense could help keep him on the field on third downs for teams using a similar concept. Tomlinson has a chance to become an early starter and should work into a defensive line rotation immediately.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/dalvin-tomlinson?id=2557846

1. Zach Cunningham
2. Pat Elflein
3. Jordan Willis
5. Devonte Fields
5. Jeremy Sprinkle
6. Tedric Thompson

Barnett definitely alters his upper body angle and bends the corner far superior to Odrick. I swear, I almost specified those things in my previous post. It was the only thing I left out. With j-off-her-doll I should just go ahead and post a thought like that, because if it's absent he will be sure to mention it.

BTW, if anyone is interested Nolan Nawrocki's draft preview book is now available for preorder on Amazon. Thirteen bucks and change with price adjustment if it lowers after ordering. That book is much less expensive, and also superior to Ourlads, IMO. The online content is excellent these days but I always like to have a print copy available, just like my beginnings with this in the late '70s with Joel Buchsbaum's material from Pro Football Weekly.

Back
Top Bottom