2018 NFL Draft: Can Mark Andrews be Miami Dolphins’ TE answer in 3rd round? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2018 NFL Draft: Can Mark Andrews be Miami Dolphins’ TE answer in 3rd round?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
markandrews.png

Miami could use a tight end — no, frankly they need a tight end — who is effective in the red zone.
Enter Oklahoma’s Mark Andrews, who posted 22 touchdown catches in three college seasons. Andrews is so effective in the red zone that one out of every five college career catches resulted in a touchdown.
“Really using your body and knowing how to use your hands,” Andrews said at the NFL Scouting Combine. “A lot of times we’re getting matched up against maybe a smaller safety, or a linebacker that isn’t as fast. Knowing your personnel you’re going against, use it against them. There’s so many different mismatches being a tight end that they can’t cover. If they decide to throw a smaller guy on you, overpower them. If they throw a linebacker on you, go by him with speed. There’s a lot of different things that we can do that make us so versatile.”
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...ews-be-miami-dolphins-te-answer-in-3rd-round/

Yeah no way this guy makes it to the 3rd.

Just curious as to why?

Herndon is a projection pick imo. He has athletic ability that can’t be hidden and he is a willing blocker one thing Andrews certainly is not

But Andrews is on another planet when it comes to route running. Andrews is deceptive in his breaks and Herndon is very very raw. Herndon’s production is athlete driven not skill. Andrews is a very crafty route runner. He’s not gonna be the deep threat that goedart/gesicki have the ability to be he isn’t flashy/athletic like that but he understands the nuances of receiving and how to find soft spots in zones. His got soft hands can body up smaller dbs and as I mentioned he’s polished enough to win battles vs athletic linebackers. He’s always flexed out and he’s gonna have to be unless someone teaches him to block but he’s the kind of rare kind of route runner that can live and survive that way

Herndon certainly has potential he’s just really raw is almost all aspects. I’m not saying he’s not worth a late round flier bc if he gets coached up he’s enough of an athlete to have a role in this league. But Andrews is a natural and smart receiver and his big frame sets up for red zone mismatches. Watch some Andrews tape and you’ll see he can slip open into soft spots effortlessly. Very instinctive

He absolutely does. He's slow and can't block
I guess we'll see. 62 receptions 960 yards almost 16 ypc 8 Tds in his senior year. Crazy red zone treat, total control of the seam. The only faster 40 was Gesicki. I see him going early 2nd. Possibly 1st TE off the board.

He absolutely does. He's slow and can't block

David’s Njoku and Evan Engram couldn’t block, and they went in the first round. Better talents than these prospects, but my point is TEs are evolving to mismatch weapons first instead of block first players in many offenses

When I saw him in a game, it looked like he played slow.

And Big12 stats don’t do much for me.

I would be disappointed if the Fins took him in the 2nd.

When I saw him in a game, it looked like he played slow.

And Big12 stats don’t do much for me.

I would be disappointed if the Fins took him in the 2nd.
"And Big12 stats don't did much for me"
Curious statement.

Id be all over him in the 3rd but he will go in the second and I don't love him there. The TE class looks weak to me.

Back
Top Bottom