2018 NFL Draft: Dolphins might turn attention to Oklahoma State QB Mason Rudolph

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by DKphin, Mar 26, 2018.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

[​IMG]

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...attention-to-oklahoma-state-qb-mason-rudolph/

2. Jay131866

Jay131866 Scout Team

How does he compare to White or Falk? I havent seen enough of them to know, Rudolph seems to be ranked the highest of the 2nd tier guys.

3. CedarPhin

CedarPhin King of the Winter Carnival Finheaven VIP

I'd rather have Falk.

4. SCOTTY

SCOTTY A True Fan

I'm not sure why White is even in consideration at all. He is not a real prospect. Compared to Falk, Rudolph is way better. They both need work but out of the two Falk has marginal written all over him.

5. Jay131866

Jay131866 Scout Team

I feel like we almost have to take Rudolph in the 2nd at this point, but sucks bc I don't think any of the top 4 TEs will still be there in the 3rd.

6. SCOTTY

SCOTTY A True Fan

Id think we def need to go te in 2nd. The position had been neglected to long.

matt11390 likes this.
  7. Jay131866

Jay131866 Scout Team

I agree but that means we have no shot at any legit QB with potential to start or be a really good backup. If we don't take Rudolph I'd rather not waste a high pick on QB at that point. Its a shame, we really need 1 extra pick in the first few rounds this year to cover our needs.

8. SCOTTY

SCOTTY A True Fan

Agreed. We always seem to come up just short. If we miss out on Mayfield we should not push our #2 for qb. If Falk is still there in the 6th than take a flier.

9. Jay131866

Jay131866 Scout Team

I know everyone hates the idea, but if we could trade down and pickup an extra 2nd somehow I would be ok with that. Would allow us to take a LB/DT, TE, and QB with the first 3 picks.

10. SCOTTY

SCOTTY A True Fan

The only problem is finding a trade partner for the 11th pick. I discussed this in a couple threads. Lots of posters love to say trade down but in actuality that is crazy hard to do. Not saying your one of those that can't put forth a real possibility. Not trying to be rude but just don't see it as a real possibility.

11. Jay131866

Jay131866 Scout Team

Nope I never said or thought it was reasonable either, just saying I would be fine with doing that to accumulate an extra early pick. The only way it happens is if one of the top Qbs magically falls, in which case we would prob just take him ourselves. Maybe if a guy like Allen dropped and Gase didn't like him for wvr reason, that would be about the only possibility I could see. Someone may be willing to move a couple of spots for someone that falls, but that likely would not get us a 2nd or 3rd round pick anyway.

12. SCOTTY

SCOTTY A True Fan

It doesn't help us either that everyone knows how to take advantage of Tannen-bum lol

13. Jay131866

Jay131866 Scout Team

Yah I don't think the guy has ever won a trade when it comes to who got better "value." At least with Ireland, he always seemed to get the better end of deals he made, and I didn't worry about him getting fleeced. Don't even like thinking about the Caroo trade up move it still makes me angry haha.

14. mmikel30

mmikel30 Starter

I’d rather take a flyer on Lauletta

15. jbyrd850

jbyrd850 Rookie

Draft a "2nd rate qb" and expect to get 2nd rate qb results.

With as much help as this team needs why would anyone wants to draft a qb in the 2nd who won't play over a guy who would be a starter on defense or at TE/WR/RB

16. CedarPhin

CedarPhin King of the Winter Carnival Finheaven VIP

Kyle Lauletta would probably be my #1 choice of the "second-tier", mid-round guys...though I like Falk as well.

17. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Apparently Miami is very high on Luke Falk. They have met with him on several occasions and are going to meet with him again before the draft on a special visit. This is according to Simon Clancy’s Twitter. I would post a link, but don’t know how to do it. Seems to me he’s a strong possibility at #42?

18. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

I don’t think we need to burn a 2nd on him

19. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

If we're out of the top QB race, then no ****ing way. That means top talent is most likely falling to us at 11. I'll take that over mediocre TE prospects and 2nd tier QB prospects any day.

20. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I've had a hard time coming up with a comp for Mason Rudolph, but maybe similar to Andy Dalton.

A trade down could be challenging, but you never know. Would love another 2nd rounder. Maybe get Payne, Andrew's and Rudolph.

21. Gonzo

That guy has taken a beating in college. I have concerns of him being the next Gabbert.

TedSlimmJr likes this.
  22. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

He's not even as good of a prospect as Gabbert was, and Gabbert was a terrible prospect. But at least Gabbert had some athletic ability.

Falk has concussion issues, can't throw receivers open, and has thrown hundreds of passes in an offense that simply doesn't translate to Sunday football.

Sounds just like a player teams like Miami will trip over their own feet to hurry up and acquire. Miami hasn't been this irrelevant for this long by accident.

I don't even know why they send people to the combine every year. They just can't seem to locate the talented players. They just ignore em.

23. Gonzo

I just don't see what others are apparently seeing in QBs like Falk and Rudolph. Rounds 2 and 3 are way too high for either, so I fully expect the Phins to pick one of them in that range. Then I'll get to read about how "Russell Wilson was picked in the third and look how he turned out." Yeah, cool, except he fell that far primarily because of his height and not a laundry list of deficiencies like these guys.

24. TedSlimmJr

I like Rudolph better than Mayfield. It's not a popular view on this particular board, but I've been around here 10 years.

25. Michael Scott

Michael Scott FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Value wise, I like Lauletta or White in rounds 3/4 over Rudolph in the 2nd.

We'd be passing on a ready to start TE in the second round for Rudolph. I don't see a big gap (if there's even a gap) that separates Rudolph from the others. The only QB I'd take at 42 is Lamar Jackson and I'm confident he'll be gone 20-30 spots higher.

I won't be mad at any QB selections though. I'll trust Adam Gase there.

fininpsl and Travis34 like this.
  26. Michael Scott

Michael Scott FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

In terms of NFL player comparison, I'd be interested in seeing your "ceiling/floor" on all of the QB prospects.

27. ANMoore

ANMoore Well-Known Member

You aren’t alone on Rudolph. Hate that Oklahoma state system, it’s primarily 1-2 reads. Guys from systems like that rarely adapt to being anything more than a jag backup in the nfl and Rudolph is no exception

He’s overhyped bc of his “prototypical size” and the stats he put up. He’s likely gonna Be over drafted bc of it too

You aren’t missing out on anything w/ him and burning 43 on him is a huge mistake imo

He’s this years bryce Petty, although I will a say he’s not quite as raw as Petty was

28. mmikel30

mmikel30 Starter

I think Rudolph or Faulk would be a mistake.

29. TedSlimmJr

I don't know what sense it makes to do it, and I could only do it for the quarterbacks particular to my board anyway - but the comparison I've always made for Rudolph that fits him is Nick Foles.

Tell you what I'll do though, I'll give you some quarterbacks over the past 15 years or so that I've either graded similar to, or are very close in playing style and upside to every quarterback on my board.

I'll give you players that cover both ends of the spectrum for each, and let you decide what you think their ceiling and floor is.

30. TedSlimmJr

Lamar Jackson: Brad Smith, Robert Griffin, Tyrod Taylor, Dennis Dixon, Josh Johnson, Josh Dobbs.

Which of those players do you believe Lamar Jackson is most like? You may not even remember a few of em, not sure how old you are. Which end if the spectrum do you believe his career falls on?

I do want to make one thing clear, Lamar Jackson is not Michael Vick. Not even close. I don't care how many times you hear it or who says it. Even from Vick himself.

HeyHoLet'sGo and Tailgun like this.
  31. TedSlimmJr

Luke Falk: Marc Bulger, Charlie Frye, Kevin Kolb, Colt Brennan, Brandon Doughty.

Where do you feel like Luke Falk falls here? Hard to remember how good some of these QB's were in college isn't it...

HeyHoLet'sGo likes this.
  32. TedSlimmJr

Josh Allen: Ben Roethlisberger, Ryan Tannehill, Josh Freeman, Carson Wentz.

Not too shabby.

33. TedSlimmJr

Sam Darnold: Phillip Rivers, Jay Cutler, Drew Stanton, Matthew Stafford, Mitch Trubisky.

The one knock scouts like to nitpick with Darnold is the slightly unorthodox delivery, not unlike they did with Rivers. They have to find something, or they're not doing their job.

34. TedSlimmJr

Baker Mayfield: Rex Grossman, Seneca Wallace, Chase Daniel, Bruce Gradkowski, Troy Smith, Tyler Thigpen, Johnny Manziel, Russell Wilson, Drew Brees.

I threw Brees and Wilson in there just to see if you were paying attention...

The problem with comparing Mayfield to short quarterbacks like Brees or Wilson is, he simply doesn't stack up athletically to those two guys. Or even Tyler Thigpen. Secondly, he's not as mature.

Mayfield is a mixed bag of all these guys. The numbers, Heismans, playing style, off field baggage, you name it. He's got it.

35. TedSlimmJr

Josh Rosen: Eli Manning, Matt Ryan, Josh McCown, Matt Leinart.

Smooth. Timing. Footwork.

Matt Leinart?

36. TedSlimmJr

Mason Rudolph: Nick Foles, Matt Schaub, Derek Anderson, Carson Palmer, Jason Campbell, Davis Webb.

Big bodied dime throwers all over the field. Is Campbell still in the NFL? No idea.

HeyHoLet'sGo likes this.
  37. TedSlimmJr

Tanner Lee: Sage Rosenfels, A.J. Feeley, Kyle Boller, Charlie Whitehurst, Connor Cook, Kevin Hogan, Brad Kaaya

Backup or bust. Ability is not the issue with Lee.

38. TedSlimmJr

Riley Ferguson: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Kellen Clemens, Andy Dalton, John Beck, Derek Carr, Jake Rudock, C.J. Beathard

Middling starter - capable of brief stretches of upper echelon play, quality backup, or bust.

39. TedSlimmJr

Chase Litton: Chris Weinke, Kyle Orton, Trent Edwards, Shaun Hill, Brandon Weeden

Lotta yards and TD's accumulated in college with this bunch.

40. TedSlimmJr

Brandon Silvers: Tony Romo, Matt Moore, Chad Henne, Matt Flynn, Nathan Peterman

Well?