2022 Wide Receivers (Underclassman) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2022 Wide Receivers (Underclassman)

Please. please let's not draft OT and C with 1st round and second round picks. Let's get WRs, we need like 4 wide receivers.
I think Burks and Bell are the best wideouts in the draft, but Miami will probably target Williams and Metchie.
Lets get two of those 4 on day 1 and 2.

Please. please let's not draft OT and C with 1st round and second round picks. Let's get WRs, we need like 4 wide receivers.
I think Burks and Bell are the best wideouts in the draft, but Miami will probably target Williams and Metchie.

Feel like Burks, Wilson, and London will be off the board at the SF pick. Bell there would be good with me, though.

Slimm, how do you like Bell for Tua and as a complement to Waddle? Feel like he's somewhere between Allen Robinson and Nuke Hopkins in style of play, and giving Tua a tough, reliable target, with big-play ability in his own right, would allow Miami to open up its usage of Waddle. Of course, OL also has to improve for Miami to ever really take advantage of his big-play ability, but I think Bell could slip out of the 1st with Williams' ascension, which would give Miami a chance to address OT or C with the SF pick.

Obv a lot of speculation.

Well, Miami probably has quite a few different skillsets needed at WR, and there are several WR’s from this class that can help Miami. David Bell being one of ‘em.

The one thing Tua and a team like Miami could benefit from the most with their WR’s is toughness and availability.

Get rid of all the divas and focus on bringing in much needed toughness and team oriented persons.

Feel like Burks, Wilson, and London will be off the board at the SF pick. Bell there would be good with me, though.

Last two years wideouts flew off the board. I do not see the 2022 draft as any different. I guess I could live with Wilson and Olave if no one else is available in second, but I think the team will stick with Bama receivers, Metchie and/or Williams if they want to draft more gadgety smallish receivers. Other than those two Waddle-like gadgets, I want Burks or Bell in round 1. I think Grier needs to end day 2 with two of those 4.
To the extent that I am not a big fan of gadgety wackadoo Bama offense and receivers. My ranking for WRs right now for us is: 1 Burks, 2 Bell 3 Williams 4 Metchie 5 Doubs. Wherever we pick, let;s say #20 and #40.

As far as Oline, we need it, but I think the long term approach needs to apply here. Oline will need developing and we need weapons to compete, so first we need wideouts since 4 of the 5 on the roster are unrealiable and need to go.
Anyway, I would love if we can get out of this draft, having picks 100, 112, 118, 150 let's say, with 2 tackles, a center, and a guard or a RB,
My ranking right now for tackles is:
1. Daniel Faalele RT, 2. Tyler Vrabel LT, 3. Cross T, 4. Wanya Morris T If one or two of those happen to fall to 100 to 150 where we pick, we need to grab them. After the combine things will crystalize here.
After that. I think there are some developmental tackles I would target in with last two picks in 200s. Those guys can start but they are just not top notch: Ryan Hayes MICH, Frere OSU, AJ Arcuri MSU, Trevor Penning UNI, Connor Galvin BAY, Jaxson Kirkland UW, Braxton Jones SUtah. Plenty option on late day 3 better than what we have.
Centers: 1. Jarret Patterson ND, 2. Ricky Stromberg. That's abut it.
Guards: I would targert Doug Nester WVU, Cade Mays TEN, Ed Ingram LSU on day 3. There are way to fix the line on day 3. especially considering that right now center and guards are serviceable.
But no way would I spend premium day 1 and 2 picks on some Olinemen.

Last two years wideouts flew off the board. I do not see the 2022 draft as any different. I guess I could live with Wilson and Olave if no one else is available in second, but I think the team will stick with Bama receivers, Metchie and/or Williams if they want to draft more gadgety smallish receivers. Other than those two Waddle-like gadgets, I want Burks or Bell in round 1. I think Grier needs to end day 2 with two of those 4.
To the extent that I am not a big fan of gadgety wackadoo Bama offense and receivers. My ranking for WRs right now for us is: 1 Burks, 2 Bell 3 Williams 4 Metchie 5 Doubs. Wherever we pick, let;s say #20 and #40.

As far as Oline, we need it, but I think the long term approach needs to apply here. Oline will need developing and we need weapons to compete, so first we need wideouts since 4 of the 5 on the roster are unrealiable and need to go.
Anyway, I would love if we can get out of this draft, having picks 100, 112, 118, 150 let's say, with 2 tackles, a center, and a guard or a RB,
My ranking right now for tackles is:
1. Daniel Faalele RT, 2. Tyler Vrabel LT, 3. Cross T, 4. Wanya Morris T If one or two of those happen to fall to 100 to 150 where we pick, we need to grab them. After the combine things will crystalize here.
After that. I think there are some developmental tackles I would target in with last two picks in 200s. Those guys can start but they are just not top notch: Ryan Hayes MICH, Frere OSU, AJ Arcuri MSU, Trevor Penning UNI, Connor Galvin BAY, Jaxson Kirkland UW, Braxton Jones SUtah. Plenty option on late day 3 better than what we have.
Centers: 1. Jarret Patterson ND, 2. Ricky Stromberg. That's abut it.
Guards: I would targert Doug Nester WVU, Cade Mays TEN, Ed Ingram LSU on day 3. There are way to fix the line on day 3. especially considering that right now center and guards are serviceable.
But no way would I spend premium day 1 and 2 picks on some Olinemen.

They did, but someone always slips through the cracks - Tee Higgins in 2020 and Elijah Moore in 2021.

I think the NFL will have Wilson > Bell.

Well, Miami probably has quite a few different skillsets needed at WR, and there are several WR’s from this class that can help Miami. David Bell being one of ‘em.

The one thing Tua and a team like Miami could benefit from the most with their WR’s is toughness and availability.

Get rid of all the divas and focus on bringing in much needed toughness and team oriented persons.

I really agree with your point about toughness and a team-first mindset. Tua has shown that he'll get you the ball if he trusts you, which boils down to a combo of toughness, being where you should, and the ability to get open.

I want more speed on the team. That and a route technician. I think we double dip this year at WR. Dont care if they're 6-3 220 50/50 guys, been there done that. I think we go with what the Patriots did when they had Gronk after Hernandez- shifty speed guys and polished route runners, with Gesicki in the seams.
Makes a ton of sense with Tua's skill set.

Metchie is interesting. Don't know how serious the injury is, but could he slip late 2nd, early 3rd?

Looks like he separates well.

Not sure this is the greatest highlight film but I would love to see young Mr. Burks in a Miami uniform ;)

Slimm, how do you like Bell for Tua and as a complement to Waddle? Feel like he's somewhere between Allen Robinson and Nuke Hopkins in style of play, and giving Tua a tough, reliable target, with big-play ability in his own right, would allow Miami to open up its usage of Waddle. Of course, OL also has to improve for Miami to ever really take advantage of his big-play ability, but I think Bell could slip out of the 1st with Williams' ascension, which would give Miami a chance to address OT or C with the SF pick.

Obv a lot of speculation.

So far he's the most realistic pick to me at WR. Agree with the 2nd round projection as well. Kind of gives me Michael Thomas vibes.

Last edited:

If you could hand pick two receivers from this draft for Tua, who would it be?

If you could hand pick two receivers from this draft for Tua, who would it be?

That's difficult because it'd be hard to pick just two. I'll put it to you like this - I'll take my top 5 Underclassman for any quarterback.

But I also really like my top 14 Seniors. There's some underrated receivers in there like Tay Martin from Oklahoma St. that just blow me away on film with a lot of the skills they demonstrate.

That does not look good for Jameson Williams.

does he still go? i assume he returns to Bama but these are wild times

Exactly. I've emphasized that for a few years, after finally figuring it out. The key variables at wide receiver are competitiveness and toughness. That position is now like a separate round of boxing on every route. The combine is an absolutely brutal reference point because it displays none of that. All you get is the speed and diva nonsense.

In contrast, the combine or pro days are vital for running back evaluation. Raw speed is everything, especially in the value rounds. I've emphasized that for a few years, after likewise taking a while to transition to the new reality. That position is now the seldom used change of pace so you don't have to worry about moves and instincts. The 49ers got it wrong then right in 2021. They made a monumental blunder by taking a 4.57 guy Sermon in the third round. Then they more than made up for it by grabbing the 4.38 guy Mitchell in the 6th round.

Along with the speed guy at running back you also need a guy who plays like such a wild man upon contact that there is no way the opponent can approximate it or fully acknowledge how different it will be. Duke Johnson filled that role for Miami late season. I admired that he was sharp enough to adjust his style based on advancing age and changed skill set.

Back
Top Bottom