2023 Tight End (Underclassman) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2023 Tight End (Underclassman)

Looks like he is going to be one of the many stories of wasted talent.

If he was in this Draft I think he would go ahead of any of the WR's let alone the TE's.

He is going to make some OC look very smart in the NFL.

I’m gonna be pounding the table for Darnell Washington. I don’t think he’s going to make it to the second round after the combine, I’d expect him to be a target in the 20-32 range

Lot of mouths to feed on the UGA offense including Bowers who may be the best college TE ever but Washington has shown the ability to make special plays after the catch as well as contested catch ability

He’s also a punishing blocker who would immediately make our running game and short passing game better

Seems to me like a guy with 90% of gesicki’s contested catch ability but 300% of his YAC and blocking ability. I think he is an excellent fit for McDaniel’s offense

Washington is huge. I think he is heavier than 270. He is most definitely a fit for this offense. I just wonder if he would be more valuable at left tackle. Put 30 pounds on him and he could be a great left tackle.

Washington is huge. I think he is heavier than 270. He is most definitely a fit for this offense. I just wonder if he would be more valuable at left tackle. Put 30 pounds on him and he could be a great left tackle.

If he wants a shot massive contract at the next level his future is at Tackle.

He should probably start the transition this off-season if he stays at UGA for his senior year, which he should.

i mean I know tackles get paid more than TEs but it’s probably too late for that transition and I haven’t seen anything from Darnell that makes me think he doesn’t have a shot at being a top-5 TE in the NFL

i mean I know tackles get paid more than TEs but it’s probably too late for that transition and I haven’t seen anything from Darnell that makes me think he doesn’t have a shot at being a top-5 TE in the NFL

It's not too late to make the transition, Jason Peters made the transition in the NFL.

He's athletic but not to the extent of guys like Graham, Gronk, Kelce, or Waller. He could very well be a phenomenal NFL tight end but it's probably more likely he would secure the bag transitioning to OT.

It's not too late to make the transition, Jason Peters made the transition in the NFL.

He's athletic but not to the extent of guys like Graham, Gronk, Kelce, or Waller. He could very well be a phenomenal NFL tight end but it's probably more likely he would secure the bag transitioning to OT.
We differ on our assessment of his athleticism. He was the 2nd or 3rd highest rated TE recruit ever which means his testing numbers were likely fantastic out of high school and in that Oregon play alone he shows strength, balance, much better speed than he gets credit for, and explosiveness.

I’d be happy to revisit this after the combine.

It is up to Darnell, but if I were advising him, I’d tell him to start eating a lot more protein and carbs. 6-7, 300+ athletic guys make a ton of money in the NFL

Mayer is a beast. Love watching him for us at ND.

Totally on board with drafting him and moving on from Gesicki. Plenty of time between now and then, so who knows how our needs are looking, but he's a favorite player of mine
Yeah first time studying that dude, he’s a legit talent at the position..sure would love him on our team

But I really like kinkaid as well as has as a lot of upside in the passing dept while decent as a blocker which is 10 times better than Gesicki

Kid I wanna keep an eye on at the combine is Tucker craft as well.. do t think we’ll have a shot at Mayer or Kincaid, so La porta or Craft might be an option, kid is big 6’’5 255 looks to be fluid, loves to break tackles, good stiff arm, pretty good blocker to boot, has good balance unlike Musgrave..Wanna see his speed and agility on display along with his natural his hands are..was injured most of last year but had an outstanding sophomore year

We should have one of these kids on our roster come April, lord knows we need one

Last edited:
We have to assume that any TE the team targets is going to be a good blocker. Washington is that for sure, as many have said he arguably could have a better future at OT.

But he is a straight line athlete and while he moves well for a guy his size, that is not the same as moving well overall.

I doubt he will ever be much of a route runner in the NFL, but he will be able to get open and make contested catches due to his size alone and he will be great as a blocker.

IF he runs a freakish 40 at the Combine he could vault into late R1.

Of the TE's that Miami has a realistic shot at being able to draft I rank them LaPorta, Kraft, and then Schoonmaker and Kuntz.

At this point I think LaPorta will go in R2 but maybe Kraft lasts to Miami in R3.

I would not take the other two until Day 3 but they may well be in the back of R3.

Hopefully the Fins will a couple of solid FA moves that will clear up the Draft needs a bit.

Back
Top Bottom