2024 NFL season: Ten biggest remaining roster holes | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2024 NFL season: Ten biggest remaining roster holes

I am not trying to pile on the criticism of Eich, but if he starts we do not have a very good OL in at least one position.
Yep. Eich as we have seen him so far is as good as he will ever be. Nevermind he is still young, has just one year of quality NFL coaching and for his career has been injured some while bouncing around the line playing many spots for the first time. No chance he can get better. Zero, zilch.

Yeah man, I get it, this is the same tired argument we all go through whenever we talk about this convo…

Bad luck with injuries… yeah, Connor Williams, I guess.

But when 2/5 of your starters are almost guaranteed to miss time part of the issue is INTENTIONALITY. It wasn’t “bad luck” two of our starting 5 were injury prone players.

I also 100% agree we saw a night and day difference in OL coaching with Butch Barry… but Chris Grier cannot identify OL talent effectively. It is okay to admit that.

We are not in this **** situation of OL *every single year* because of unusually bad luck. I think people miss this.
The team prioritizes other positions more than OL--at least when looking at cap allocation. They combine a reasonable amount of draft capital with bargain hunting in free agency. That means taking risks with injury-prone players who will outplay their cost if they stay healthy To make a deep playoff run requires luck as much as roster development and coaching--health luck especially. That is by design although the gambles have not paid off well the last couple seasons. But arguably the talent is much improved over what Grier inherited and if healthy this could be a top half line with a bottom 5 cost. Grier has done a decent job drafting linemen IMO, but we have gotten what we paid for.

The alternative strategy that many on this site advocate is to spend more on free agents and devote more high draft picks to the OLine. They do not identify which other positions(s) they would weaken in order to allocate more scarce resources to OL. They don't say let Waddle, Phillips and/or Holland walk and instead retain Hunt. They would draft an OG in round 1 and roll with Kamara starting at edge if Phillips and Chubb are unavailable. They assume that a variety of other OL the Dolphins might acquire will be not just better but more importantly healthier. These are not fair assumptions to my eyes.

I am OK with the team's approach and look forward to a mean reversion health-wise and continued development of our quality young OL talent. But maybe that's just me.

Yep. Eich as we have seen him so far is as good as he will ever be. Nevermind he is still young, has just one year of quality NFL coaching and for his career has been injured some while bouncing around the line playing many spots for the first time. No chance he can get better. Zero, zilch.
All good points. It does seem that you should come out of high quality programs like ND, OSU, UMich, etc with good fundamentals but no doubt more can be learned. I don’t know how good or bad prior coaches were (except Flores was a little toxic). The fans (Denver?) were very down on But h Barry and glad to see him leave. Now we seem to feel he is good.
I think when you trade up you expect more and than an early second round pick you expect more.
We all would like to see Eich improvement, just perhaps a little concerned it won’t happen.

RONG!

The team prioritizes other positions more than OL--at least when looking at cap allocation. They combine a reasonable amount of draft capital with bargain hunting in free agency. That means taking risks with injury-prone players who will outplay their cost if they stay healthy To make a deep playoff run requires luck as much as roster development and coaching--health luck especially. That is by design although the gambles have not paid off well the last couple seasons. But arguably the talent is much improved over what Grier inherited and if healthy this could be a top half line with a bottom 5 cost. Grier has done a decent job drafting linemen IMO, but we have gotten what we paid for.

The alternative strategy that many on this site advocate is to spend more on free agents and devote more high draft picks to the OLine. They do not identify which other positions(s) they would weaken in order to allocate more scarce resources to OL. They don't say let Waddle, Phillips and/or Holland walk and instead retain Hunt. They would draft an OG in round 1 and roll with Kamara starting at edge if Phillips and Chubb are unavailable. They assume that a variety of other OL the Dolphins might acquire will be not just better but more importantly healthier. These are not fair assumptions to my eyes.

I am OK with the team's approach and look forward to a mean reversion health-wise and continued development of our quality young OL talent. But maybe that's just me.
I understand WHY it’s happening. So we are in agreement that we are intentionally dumb?

I don’t see how anyone can be okay with this approach when we have a bottom 5 OL over the past 10 years including a few of the worst OL’s in NFL history.

I don’t see how anyone can be okay with the approach when we haven’t done anything meaningful in 2+ decades. We should be questioning everything that doesn’t make sense.

Not investing intelligently on the OL doesn’t make sense.

I understand WHY it’s happening. So we are in agreement that we are intentionally dumb?

I don’t see how anyone can be okay with this approach when we have a bottom 5 OL over the past 10 years including a few of the worst OL’s in NFL history.

I don’t see how anyone can be okay with the approach when we haven’t done anything meaningful in 2+ decades. We should be questioning everything that doesn’t make sense.

I think the team has a rational approach. They go cheap but high ceiling at OL by taking guys who often don't stay healthy or are low floor risky in some other way. High floor guys are what cost the big resources in OL land. In return they get to invest in top flight WRs, RBs, pass rush, DBs and presumably soon will be paying Tua a lot more. High ceiling guys at other positions can't be had for cheap outside of the occasional late round draft/UDFA magic.. You would have the team up it's odds of a decent OL (no guarantees) but have not clarified what you would give up to do so. Don't trade for Tyreek? Let Waddle and/or Phillips leave? Don't draft Chop? Something has to give so what would you give?

P.S. I think it would be cool to have a top 5 OL with high confidence but the sacrifices elsewhere seem to carry just as much downside.

None are so blind as those who cannot see.

There has been a constant rebuilding and development of the OL since I've started following the Dolphins in 2016. Just because someone isn't satisfied with the progress doesn't mean there is no progress.

It is one of the reasons we have made it to the playoffs for the last several years.

That's life - ESAD - LOL

Back
Top Bottom