- Jul 26, 2004
- Reaction score
1. New defensive coordinator Mike Nolan is trying to create an “offensive defense,” or a unit that plays up-tempo and dictates the pace of the game to the offense, instead of the other way around. “You can see there’s an attitude here and a philosophy from a defensive standpoint of creating turnovers, of scoring with the football, the pass rush, all those things from a philosophy standpoint I can see are different,” head coach Tony Sparano said. “Those guys are doing a nice job of buying into it.”
2. The starters on the interior line won’t be decided for awhile. Jake Grove played first team center in the morning, while Joe Berger played with the starters in the afternoon, and they will continue to rotate practice sessions throughout the mini-camp and OTAs. Rookie John Jerry played left guard with the First Team in the morning, while newcomer Cory Procter manned left guard in the afternoon. Richie Incognito played right guard in the morning, and gave way to Donald Thomas in the afternoon. Still, the front-runners to start the season are: Thomas at left guard, Grove at center, Incognito at right guard.
3. Brandon Marshall hasn’t done much other than stand on the sidelines and rest his surgically repaired right hip, but his teammates can already tell that he is the real deal. “Something I’ve noticed out here on the field is he really understands football,” receiver Greg Camarillo said. “He really understands the technique and the intricacies of being a receiver, which combined with his athleticism is what makes him a dominant receiver.”
4. DE Lionel Dotson, WR Patrick Turner, OL Nate Garner and Marshall didn’t practice at all Friday. LB Channing Crowder (lisfranc fracture) and NT Jason Ferguson (age) didn’t practice in the afternoon. CB Will Allen (ACL) practiced lightly in the afternoon.
5. Garner recently had an unspecified surgery and won’t return until training camp at the end of July.