3-4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3-4

zach13

Mad Dog
Reaction score
As an occasional defensive wrinkle what do you think about the Dolphins employing a 3-4 with Taylor, Bowens, and Wale up front, Greenwood, Zach, Moore, and Seau as LB's with Seau given some freedom to diagnose the offense and either rush or drop into coverage?

Well.. we'd have to see how polished/ready Moore is as a rookie first..

taylor would probably be better suited to be a 3-4 OLB than a DE in that alignment. i don't know if the personnel are suited for it. i do think there need to be some wrinkles thrown in, i just don't know if 3-4 would be it.

The 3-4 is not a very successful defense in the NFL. Few teams use it. To disrupt offenses you need to get penetration into the backfield and disrupt timing. To play 3-4, you have to have four exceptional LBs to pull it off with the team speed you have in the NFL. That often results in smaller LBs. That often matches LBs on O Lineman. And as Zach Thomas and Kevin Mawae can tell you, that doesn't favor the LB.

Also at this point Moore is a projected special teams player. Not much clout to reconstruct the defense on.

Well in that case..

There is no way the top DE in football would be moved to OLB..

the DE's in a 3-4 are generally a little bigger, and the edge rushing comes from the OLB's. for example, colvin will be able to do it this year for new england, and boulware is pretty suited for that in baltimore.

The Miami defense has been built to play with a 4-3. The pass rush comes from the DE and the DT are doing the dirty work. LBs are closing the gap and chasing the football holder.

I don't think we have the players to play a 3-4.

Ya I like the 4-3 to. In Madden 2003 once in a while I use the 3-4 but I was putting in Marion in place of Rogers. I use 4-3 most then Nickel & on 3rd & long i'll switch between dime & quarter

A 3-4 just wouldn't work with what we have. It is pretty simple, we have the players to play in a 4-3 defense, not a 3-4 defense.

No way to the 3-4. but i would like to see some blitzing from the LB instead of our corners. junior helps make that happen for sure. now zach stays back. surtain stays back. that is what you want.;)

Aren't the Patriots employing a 3-4? If so, is that the result of Ricky? How will that affect our running game?

The teams that are reported to use the 3-4 primarily in 2003 are the:
Steelers
Ravens
Saints
Falcons
Houston
New England (perhaps)
Cinncinnati (perhaps)

More and more teams are switching to it as it allows you to get one more athlete on the field at the expense of a DT. It is vulnerable to the interior run but is better at containing the long run or the sweep.

I love the 4-3 and would not advocate a switch but I would like us to show the 3-4 on occasion, particularly against teams who love to try the edges like Buffalo.

We don't have the personnel to play the 3-4

while Seau would be a start..neither Moore or Greenwood has any experience or projected ability in that regard.

Originally posted by FinsGoToGuy
The Miami defense has been built to play with a 4-3. The pass rush comes from the DE and the DT are doing the dirty work. LBs are closing the gap and chasing the football holder.

I don't think we have the players to play a 3-4.
exactly, it was the Dallas D w/Jimmy and Wanne that the trand toward fast smaller LB and DEs and huge DTs in a 4-3.

we do not have the players for a 3-4, i.e. we would need to have bigger MLBs and DEs

Back
Top Bottom