3 Immediate Superbowl XLV Reactions As Relating To The Fins | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3 Immediate Superbowl XLV Reactions As Relating To The Fins

There's no spinning the fact that if you head into two drafts with those kinds of resources, and your very best player is an oft-injured and inconsistent running back that needs 10 carries in a game before he starts to see the holes well enough to perform at a high level, you ****ed up.

This may be a bumble**** of a franchise but Nick Saban helped make it so and his drafting was JUST shy of atrocious. Saban had the following picks and values to work with:

#002: 2600
#016: 1000
#046: 0440
#070: 0240
#082: 0180
#104: 0086
#114: 0066
#149: 0032
#162: 0027
#212: 0007
#216: 0005
#226: 0002
#233: 0001

Totals: 13 picks, 4686 points of value

To have all that at your disposal and come away with (in order of talent): RB Ronnie Brown, LB Matt Roth, LB Channing Crowder, WR Devin Aromashodu, DT Kevin Vickerson, DT Fred Evans, CB Jason Allen, WR Derek Hagan, DT Rodrique Wright, CB Travis Daniels, OL Joe Toledo, OT Anthony Alabi and DT Manny Wright?

Seriously? Someone's going to defend THAT?

Passing on Aaron Rodgers for Ronnie Brown? That happened on Saban's watch. Passing on Drew Brees for Daunte Culpepper? That happened on Saban's watch. Passing on talented players in the draft for generally un-talented ones? That happened on Saban's watch.

He had final say over all Draft and Free Agent decisions.

I know how much you enjoy these types of excercises... that looks like a fun one for you to do on the current regime... I'll wait.

Nick Saban coaches circles around the stiff that Miami currently has prowling the sidelines doing jumping jacks... his supervisors know it too.

Saban was smart enough to get the hell out from under this bumblef*ck of a franchise and move on to better things... none of these guys are that smart (except perhaps Parcells).. They're just glad to have jobs, and lucky that Ross couldn't score a coaching hire if the other 31 teams all evaporated in plane crashes.

I think as 06 bore out, it was Linehan in retrospect who coached circles around our current iteration of inept incompetents, not Saban. He might have been better than Tony, but it's like choosing dysentery over trichinosis. Saban was no different than Parcells: both were rats deserting ships sinking due to the holes they themselves gnawed in the hulls. The difference between them is that while both are quitters, one is now the poster boy of lying.

aayg7t-1.jpg

Fair enough, ill rephrase: How did you get "productive players" out of any of Sabans draft picks? Counting Crowder(who you yourself suggested we shouldnt have resigned) you get what...2 players? 3? Out of 12 draft picks and a trade. Aces job Nick.

Getting a few picks doesn't equal great player. Nnamdi Asomugha is widely considered among the top corners in the league and he only has 11 career interceptions. So how did Allen get those picks? Because quarterbacks refused to test (Jeff Ireland front office pick) Vontae Davis and instead picked on Jason Allen. Repeatedly and with great success. Keep in mind, Alphonso Smith had 5 picks for the Lions. So why are they looking to upgrade their corner position? Because he gave up touchdowns repeatedly, much like Jason Allen. And yes, Daunte' Culpepper has been so unreplacable that he is sitting on the couch during the regular season. And teams find running backs more productive then Ronnie Brown literally off the street.

And yes, this front office only landed a future hall of famer, up and coming shutdown corner, brought in 2 pass rushers, and actually got a fine player during their 2nd round pick trade. Obviously, THEY are the ones that did poorly and Saban did the best work.
And yes, yes, yes, Saban is such a great coach that he had worse records then the guys currently here, but he truly is an amazing coach because...well...he just is. We've heard it all before, evidence and common sense has disproven that assertion.

There really isnt much to say, the players Nick Saban drafted are not good. They (mostly) have not had any sort of success in this league. Most are back-ups, a few are practice squad, and a few are out of the league entirely. You can attempt to spin it and point the finger all you want, but Nick Saban failed. He failed to draft good players. He failed to win games. So he quit.

Are you actually suggesting that teams refuse to test Vontae Davis? Absolutely... it's not any of this regimes players out there giving up touchdowns left and right and dropping interceptions... Aces job trifecta.

I didn't resign Crowder... I had nothing to do with it. Folks like CK are the one's that always tried to force feed Crowder down peoples throats... until the conversation involves Nick Saban.. then it's different.

The fact that these guys are heading into year 4 and still don't have a quarterback worthy of replacing a couch potato like Culpepper is the entire point... For all the flack that Ronnie gets, I just realized that he's somewhere in the top 30 backs in NFL history when it comes to total yards from scrimmage per game. It wouldn't matter if Ronnie never missed a game in his career, he still wouldn't ever get the ball enough for him to live up to what people's expectations of the #2 overall pick should be. Ronnie has never gotten the ball like a feature back is supposed to other than when Cam Cameron was here... Remember how "stupid" everybody said Cam Cameron was for allowing Ronnie to return kicks? Why was he stupid to let a sloppy bum like Ronnie Brown return kicks and risk injury?

This front office was handed the #1 overall pick in the draft, and still managed to make it irrelevant... but that offensive lineman sure does look good on your resume... great job boys.

They got a fine player in their 2nd round pick trade that they had no idea how to use... they managed to take a kid who holds the NFL record for receptions in a single game, and make him completely irrelevant. Outstanding job trifecta...

Don't take my word for it....there's a whole wide world out there for you to go poke and prod anyone that will give you a few minutes of their time, and ask them who's the better coach between Tony Sparano and Nick Saban...

Nick Saban is an infinitely better football coach than Sparano.

Saban just wasn't a good evaluator of talent when it came to the draft and FA.. he was closed minded and put too much emphasis in the SEC conference that he knew.

But even Shula had many straight years of disappointments at the draft table. Many would argue Shula was a lot worse than Saban for a good portion of the 80's.

http://miamimigraine.blogspot.com/2008/05/history-of-miami-dolphins-drafts-part.html

Shula didn't do anything for Marino all those years. He failed and failed time and time again to build a team around one of the best QB's of all-time.

But as pure football coaches it goes: Shula >>>>> Saban >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dickwad sparano

I think as 06 bore out, it was Linehan in retrospect who coached circles around our current iteration of inept incompetents, not Saban. He might have been better than Tony, but it's like choosing dysentery over trichinosis. Saban was no different than Parcells: both were rats deserting ships sinking due to the holes they themselves gnawed in the hulls. The difference between them is that while both are quitters, one is now the poster boy of lying.

aayg7t-1.jpg

I'll take Little Nicky... you can have Scott Linehan.. you've got yourself a deal Vaark.

Who did Saban lie to, a couple of south Florida media hacks? You have to feel terrible, their feelings must've been awfully hurt...

Three things I learned from the Super Bowl:

1. You don't have to have a great record during the regular season to win it all.
2. You can't turn the $@%^#&! ball over and win football games.
3. You have to be able to score touchdowns. Period. Don't fear the endzone.

This is why I think we should take a shot at Cam Newton. Everyone is dawging his past and saying he's not an NFL type QB, and he's a thug, etc., but he just wins. We have NOTHING to lose.
Except be set back another 3-4 years....

Wow, of all the problems Henne had, the one you hit upon is accuracy....I guess 60% both years is not very good.

He may not place the ball perfect, but with having at least 60% accuracy, that shows that he is placing it good enough to be caught most of the time.

Its not the percentage of completions that matters but rather the timing. Alot of that 60% is just check down passes that fall short of the 1st down. On crtical throws (The 5 yarder to Fassono, the bomb to Marshall) Henne just flat out misses.

Rodgers missed a few throws but usually came back and completed for a 1st down on 3rd down. Big difference.

Most people don't remember Roger's first 4 years. He didn't play much but when he did he wasn't great and got hurt alot. People act like rogers would be the same player he is today if he had come to the phins. I contend that miami and his fans would have givenup on him long ago. It's too bad we cann't go back and see. I would have liked to read all the "Roger's suck" threads. The bottom line is the pack had a lot more to offer rogers than the phins did. A committed organization with a plan that wasn't afraid to develope it's own players. Consistant coaches committed to developing it's own players and a front office committed to building through the draft.

I'll take Little Nicky... you can have Scott Linehan.. you've got yourself a deal Vaark.

Who did Saban lie to, a couple of south Florida media hacks? You have to feel terrible, their feelings must've been awfully hurt...

Well bud, it's a *cybershake* if we're talking about the pros, but no deal if it's the NCAA. The diminutive diquewad's first year w/o Linehan: 7-9, Scotty's 1st HC year w/o Saban 8-8.. so advantage Linehan. Unfortunately after that, Linehan did go 3-17, while Saban left the seeds of a team that went 1-15, so overall I'd say it's a wash. Kind of like choosing between a tooth abscess and a root canal.

If Saban thought he was lying only to a few unimportant local media, not a national media, and that by doing what they do, i.e. "reporting" he was not in fact lying to a faithful fins fanbase, then he's even a bigger moron than his actions with the Fins would suggest.

Back
Top Bottom