3 Yards Per Carry Episode 1.20 - Game Day! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3 Yards Per Carry Episode 1.20 - Game Day!

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Today is my Christmas morning.

Some folks love the start of training camp. Some love the scrimmage. For me, the special day is the first preseason game.

Some love to be snobs about how seeing things in practice makes you automatically more informed and more right than everyone else (I don't buy it, never have). I have always found practice environments to be idiosyncratically different from game environments in very key aspects. That's a fancy way of saying, you've got to see it in games.

In practice the defense might know exactly what the offense is about to do, or vice versa. They might be practicing certain concepts and running them over and over again. The inability to tackle or go full contact prevents some players from reaching full throttle (remember how infamous Cameron Wake was for not particularly standing out in practices). There's just so much that is different.

When the first preseason game gets here you're able to sit down and watch snaps, see a guy either winning or losing his matchups in a live fire scenario. You get to look at the bottom of the roster and say, my goodness look at the way this CFL kid we got just beat the bajesus out of Tony Pashos and Tra Thomas. Did you see that play Jakeem Grant made? Who is Derrick Shelby because he looked pretty damn good. Did you see this Torry McTyer guy school LaQuon Treadwell one on one?

Anyway, with all that said, enjoy the pre-Game podcast. We dive into a whole lot of topics here.

iTunes
: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/3-yards-per-carry-miami-dolphins/id1363764781?mt=2#
Google Play: https://play.google.com/music/m/Irkw4ymxvrfdutnhgcyx6g7np44?t=3_Yards_Per_Carry_-_Miami_Dolphins
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/11qutsbsvv9NLCDstWuk6w?si=e0bMgRFsR-m5xnCDlHnBWg
Podbean: https://threeyardspercarry.podbean.com/e/3ypc-camp-bucs-fins-preview-episode-120/
Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/3-yards-per-carry
Podbay: http://podbay.fm/show/1363764781/e/1533792780?autostart=1
Player.FM: https://player.fm/series/3-yards-pe...46/ep-3ypc-camp-bucs-fins-preview-episode-120

5 Reasons Patron Shots: https://patron.podbean.com/fivereasonssports

Now for highlights of Episode 1.20 - Game Day!:
  • Simon Clancy gets trolled by a terrible comedian in Scotland.
  • Alf Arteaga wipes his ass with the first official depth chart.
  • Simon Clancy pisses on the very same first official depth chart.
  • Chris Kouffman attempts to explain why they both have just made a terrible mistake.
  • Will Adam Gase shoot himself in the foot with respect to his duty split between Kenyan Drake and Frank Gore?
  • Making sense of the defensive line positions and rotations.
  • Simon Clancy pronounces Akeem Spence DOA.
  • Chris Kouffman pronounces Tony Lippett DOA.
  • Alf Arteaga gives you extraordinary and detailed observations from the scrimmage and week of practice that, quite frankly, I've not heard anywhere else from any of the other practice observers. And yes I realize I'm talking my own book here but it's also just the simple truth. If you know the difference between 11 and 12 personnel, you'll appreciate it.
  • Simon Clancy goes on a very British rant about all the penalties and sloppiness.
  • Chris Kouffman tells everyone what has been hidden in plain sight about the CB competition opposite Xavien Howard.
  • We absolutely cannot hide how incredibly amped up we are over TE Mike Gesicki.
  • Will the massive (and some would say, shameful) rule changes with regard to illegal helmet use and unnecessary roughness that we saw in the Hall of Fame game result in a sea change in the offense-vs-defense battle this year?
  • Does it happen to be the case that, whether due to luck or skill, the Miami Dolphins are actually really well positioned to take advantage of these changes?
Lots of other stuff in there. Enjoy the listen.

I'm going to try to fit this in before the game tonight but between Rollin up doobys and pouring mixed drinks of captain an coke I am not sure i will have time. Love the podcast and I've listened to them all from day 1

I didn't get a chance to mention it on the show but I have a feeling Isaiah Ford will play tonight, and he will see a lot of action his way. Look for him to work the slot.

Even with Ford wearing the red jersey in practice leading up?

I’m interested in the CB competition...be fun to see who steps up their game and who gets the most looks in these next few games.

Love the podcast as always CK. Looking forward to the post game analysis.

Since it wasn't the right medium for this, I did not get to say all this on the podcast.

I originally identified five major weaknesses in the 2017 defense, from a purely statistical, results-based study:

1) allowing 4.84 yards per run when in Nickel personnel, which was the 30th worst yards per run carry out of all the NFL’s Nickel packages,
2) allowing 7.77 yards per pass attempt when in Base personnel, which was the 26th worst yards per pass attempt out of all the NFL’s Base packages,
3) allowing the 32nd worst conversion rate on 3rd & Long (3rd & 5 to 3rd & 10),
4) allowing the 30th most red zone touchdowns per red zone trip on defense, and
5) allowing the most ‘fantasy points’ (standard scoring) per game to Tight Ends.

Incidentally, their Pass defense out of Nickel (6.02 yards per pass attempt, ranked 19th), and their Run defense out of Base (3.69 yards per carry, ranked 19th) were nothing to write home about. They were not strengths. They just weren’t quite the same level of weakness as the other five.

I knew that Bobby McCain had played some CB in their Base packages as one of the two CBs. Turns out he was in on 20% of their Base personnel packages (72 of 365).

But here’s the thing, and this is remarkable.

The weakness in Pass defense out of Base personnel was almost exclusively limited to the other 80% of plays Bobby wasn’t in on. They allowed 8.17 yards per pass attempt on them. With Bobby in the game on Base, they allowed 6.61 yards per attempt, which would’ve ranked 15th among Base packages.

And the PFF data corroborates. His yards per target strictly from perimeter coverage ranked in the top 14 percent among qualifying corners.

What’s more, the Base packages he was in on allowed only 3.07 yards per carry. That would’ve ranked 7th in Run defense among all Base packages. When he wasn’t in, the Run defense out of Base dropped to 21st among Base packages.

And there is more. They allowed NINE touchdowns out of Base when he wasn’t out there, only forced one turnover. When he was out there they allowed only ONE touchdown, and forced one turnover.

No matter how you slice it, they were a better Base defense when Bobby McCain was the CB opposite Xavien Howard.

It's like Alf said, it's a drill that is handicapped in favor of the big athlete like Gesicki.

But...he's doing really well with it. Really well.

Today is my Christmas morning.

Some folks love the start of training camp. Some love the scrimmage. For me, the special day is the first preseason game.

I usually agree, I love seeing the battles to make the roster ... but there is something rather grim about the idea of watching Brock Osweiler throwing ints at 2am. Roll on Bryce Petty!

Preseason is huge always has been as I love watching for those underdog players to make the team. The downside of preseason is those darn anouncers especially toward the second half who want to talk about themselves or what happened 50 years ago and only give you glimpses of the ongoing game.

Preseason is huge always has been as I love watching for those underdog players to make the team. The downside of preseason is those darn anouncers especially toward the second half who want to talk about themselves or what happened 50 years ago and only give you glimpses of the ongoing game.

Oh man.

Absolutely. Big pet peeve of mine as well. They do the same with All Star games. It's like, hey guys you know there's a football game happening behind you, right?

Back
Top Bottom