5 Miami Dolphins players that could regress in 2020 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

5 Miami Dolphins players that could regress in 2020

Howard
Williams
Flowers
Fitz
Gesicki

What every fan knows . . . 1-2 players will surprise pleasantly. 1-2 players will regress noticeably. No one living in Reality county can deny that. The trick is picking who those players are. I'll have to consider RF if only because his career has been up/down. I'll also pick Ogbah or Lawson. Miami seems to have a hx of edge guys who disappoint.

What every fan knows . . . 1-2 players will surprise pleasantly. 1-2 players will regress noticeably. No one living in Reality county can deny that. The trick is picking who those players are. I'll have to consider RF if only because his career has been up/down. I'll also pick Ogbah or Lawson. Miami seems to have a hx of edge guys who disappoint.

Maybe with a new sheriff in town running things, and picking players based on his mold, we won’t get such disappointing results. I do think if you’re expecting Wake or Taylor type DEs you’re going to be disappointed. Think more about how new England’s defensive line/lbs operates for the past ten years. Seems the sacks were spread out among the defense and not relying on a JT or Cam Wake.

2E65F14E-3827-44DA-A754-04F1E09350CE.jpeg

Maybe with a new sheriff in town running things, and picking players based on his mold, we won’t get such disappointing results. I do think if you’re expecting Wake or Taylor type DEs you’re going to be disappointed. Think more about how new England’s defensive line/lbs operates for the past ten years. Seems the sacks were spread out among the defense and not relying on a JT or Cam Wake.

View attachment 50509

Don't disagree. But, the standard is "regress," not 'exceed expectations.' Lawson and Ogbah are seen as pass rushers and edge setters. I hope both players do both well.

Howard
Williams
Flowers
Fitz
Gesicki
Flowers--Agree
This is an obvious one, he has been in the NFL for several years and had several abysmal seasons, with one outlier last year at guard. This would be obvious.

Howard--Disagree
He is having a bit of a difficult offseason, so I guess I understand this one, but disagree. Having Byron Jones opposite him will mean he gets a lot more targets, and I can see him grabbing as many as 7 INT's this year. I'm actually expecting a banner year from Howard.

Fitzmagic--Disagree
He has been trending better and more consistent in the last few years despite learning myriad new systems. He was saddled with an entirely new and very complex system last year, and he did very well, but was held back by his teammates adapting to that system. He had a horrible OL. Even if this year's OL is just as bad, he has had a year of chemistry with his entire receiving (WR and TE) corps, so he should do better, not worse. The new Chan Gailey system is more familiar to these guys and less complex than the Patriots scheme we ran last year, so even if it takes a while to get up to speed, these guys should be better than last year at adapting to the new system. Fitz is settled and has played and done well in Gailey's system before, so Fitz should have another good year. Not expecting any regression from Fitz. But, don't be surprised if the transition period for the offense is weathered by Fitz, and then once the offense starts to click he is yanked and supplanted by Tua. That I could definitely see happening to Fitz.

Williams--Agree
Preston Williams could go either way. He had everything to prove last year, and that motivator will not be the same this year. But, he could well do significantly better too, as year 2 is typically a major improvement year for young WR's. The x-factor for me here is that Williams is young and his issues have never been physical. It's all about his head ... does he make the right decisions to grind daily ... does he start slacking as he feels he has 'made it' ... does he buy into what the coaches are preaching ... and does he have the same rapport with Tua eventually as he does with Fitz? Fitz loves his big targets, so after Parker and Gesicki, Williams gets a lot of snaps. But, with a healthy Albert Williams, passes to Breida, and a different QB, Williams' snaps and targets may be reduced. Hard to get a read on this one yet, but tentatively agree.

Gesicki--Disagree
Gesicki has shown to have a rather typical TE learning curve as he struggled with flashes as a rookie, and showed significant development as a sophomore. I'm expecting continual improvement in his 3rd year, particularly if Fitz remains the QB. But even if Tua takes over, rookie QB's typically lean heavy on their TE's with checkdowns, and Gesicki is a large target and Tua knows Gesicki is the future. So, I expect to see whomever is QB targeting Gesicki a lot, and his production go up. If everyone is healthy, we know Parker will get his share of targets, with Preston Williams and Albert Wilson fighting for the 2nd WR spot. Gesicki, as the security blanket TE as well as the seam threat TE, will get plenty of targets. Breida will get targets. Until the injuries hit, if one person gets squeezed out, I'm expecting it to be Preston Williams or Albert Wilson, and Jakeem Grant losing most of his targets this year until injuries hit.

All in all ... can't say that I agree with this article.

Howard barely played last year and when he didn’t he wasn’t amazing not sure he could be a regress player he’s more of a bounce back candidate imo. Devante Parker Has to be on the list considering he had monster numbers last year and it’s extremely unlikely for him to replicate that. Fitz makes sense he’s had an up and down career with last season being an up year. A lot of unknown with Gesicki he came on late but has had some inconsistency. Flowers could definitely struggle especially with him basically getting thrusted into a leadership role on the OL he’s gonna be asked to be a high level guard. Jerome Baker could be a candidate as well he’s gonna have a lot more competition this year we brought in 3 guys and he may have more of a rotational role. I’m expecting maybe less tackles but hopefully more splash plays

I agree with Williams in that he is also coming off a knee injury. It could be mid season until he is back to full strength.

I would say Parker is the most likely to regress, depending on the definition of that. Couple of factors.....

* Other receivers could contribute more than last year, such as Williams and Wilson. Even Grant.
* Injuries have played a big part in slowing Parker down and that has to be accounted for. Can he again stay healthy?
* Will Parker be on the same page with Tua once the rookie gets his chance? Fitz had 100 percent faith in Parker.
* Parker could end up with a season around 900 yards and some could see that as regression.

1. Parker - Last season was an outlier mostly because he stayed healthy. With his history and no real offseason I wouldn't be shocked to see him miss a third of the season or more.
2. Fitzpatrick - He played really well considering the circumstances last season. Time is going to catch up to him eventually and QBs have a tendency to drop off a cliff production wise when it does.
3. Van Noy - Hope I'm wrong but there is a long history of players who aren't elite athletes failing to replicate what they did in New England.
4. Flowers - Pretty much what everyone else has already said. A vet reproducing an outlier season after getting paid......
5. Jordan Howard - Dunno about regression since he didn't produce all that much in Philly but certainly a good chance he doesn't live up to expectations set from his days in Chicago.

View attachment 50509
Great post. NE managed to be #7 in sacks, even though their top guy had 7. I honestly would prefer this type of system over relying on one player (that could always get injured) to be responsible for a quarter of our pass rush. It's also harder to gameplan against a whole team of competent pass rushers, rather than 1 or 2 great ones.

Not that I wouldn't also love to have a sack artist. But if I had to choose, I like the successful team approach better. Hopefully we can create that.

I think Preston Williams is going to have a good year. He is our best wide receiver and it was obvious he was pushing DeVante Parker to get better last year.

I would say Parker is the most likely to regress, depending on the definition of that. Couple of factors.....

* Other receivers could contribute more than last year, such as Williams and Wilson. Even Grant.
* Injuries have played a big part in slowing Parker down and that has to be accounted for. Can he again stay healthy?
* Will Parker be on the same page with Tua once the rookie gets his chance? Fitz had 100 percent faith in Parker.
* Parker could end up with a season around 900 yards and some could see that as regression.

This is exactly what my first thought was when I read the subject of the article so was surprised that Parker wasn't mentioned. He was great last year but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't put up the same numbers (although I would have NO problem if I am wrong).

Let's hope Parker and William's continue to move forward and not take steps back. Because if they do, Miami will be picking their replacements, early and often in 2021.

Howard has had one outstanding year and the remaining years he has been a Dolphin he has battled one injury after another. I really have no idea if he will be the Howard from 2018 or the injury riddled player he has been most of his time in Miami.

Fitzpatrick is what he is. A backup caliber QB who can play at a high level for a few games each season and then can play like the worst QB in the league at other times. He is good for 4-6 wins a season and that’s about it. The sooner Tua can get on the field and Fitzpatrick is sent back to the bench to be the backup QB, the better off the entire offense will be.

Flowers is a huge question mark because the entire offensive line is a huge question mark. You have a lot of young offensive linemen the Dolphins are counting on to upgrade this entire unit. I think Flowers would be an effective guard on an experienced offensive line but I have no idea if he will be able to be a leader on an offensive line with possibly 2 rookies starting and a new center. I think he will likely be better in 2021, once the OL has had time to play together for a season than he will be in 2020.

Williams is coming off a ACL injury. Hopefully he will recover fully from this injury and will be able to play at the level he did prior to being injured. Yet it is not unusual for players with an ACL injury to take nearly two years to get back to where they were physically before the injury. So until we see how he has recovered from the surgery, it is difficult to know if he will regress in 2020 or if he will come back strong and continue to develop as one of the teams best Wide Receivers.

Gesicki is a TE in a Chan Gailey offense. Historically Gailey is not known as an OC who uses His TE’s in the passing game. He prefers his TE’s to be blockers for the running games and as extra protection in the passing game. The only time he really used a TE in his offense to catch passes was when he was with the a Chiefs and Tony Gonzalez was the Chiefs TE. Gonzalez was one of the best TE’s is NFL history and the offense under Gailey was built around the running game and Gonzalez.
Gesicki is not a blocking TE and it will be interesting to see how Gailey decides to utilize Gesicki in the Dolphins offense. .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom