5 Miami Regular Season Losses That Still Irks You | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

5 Miami Regular Season Losses That Still Irks You

92 AFC Championship game vs Buffalo in Miami !! I was at that game. I hate the Bills

snowplow game 1982
Patriots again in 2002 to knock us out of the playoffs
2010 Steelers Rape-lisberger fumble
Monday night melt-down with the Jets 2000
Patriots one more time in the 900-yard passing game, 2011 opener
The 2002 game was a total special teams implosion. We dominated for 56 minutes w Ricky at 180 yards and 2 TDs. Then we give up a TD and 2 pointer, they kickoff and we have no return man deep, fearing the o sides. Welter runs back covers kick at the 1. Instead of handing ball to Ricky w throw 3 incompletions off the noodle arm of jay fiedler - then mark royals punta about 25 yards. NE doesn't get a first down but kicks game tying FG. We kickoff and shank it OOB to start OT. They go down and kick FG and Jets go to the playoffs, NE and Miami go home. Pathetic.

Going way back, I remember a 10-7 loss to Bert Jones and Baltimore that put Miami at 10-4 for the season and out of the playoffs. I believe that was 1977.

Same year, the Dolphins lost early in the season 20-19 to Houston. So the Dolphins were that close to finishing 12-2 with possible home field advantage. Tough season to end 10-4 and not to advance to the playoffs.

That Monday night loss to the Jets and blowing a big lead was hard to take as well. That was probably the worst officiating I have ever seen in the NFL with phantom pass interference calls fueling the New York comeback.
One thing that doesn't get talked about enough is back then you could go 10-4 and miss the playoffs. We did 2x during our glory years. Never know had expanded playoff format existed back then. 10-4 is damn good.

One thing that doesn't get talked about enough is back then you could go 10-4 and miss the playoffs. We did 2x during our glory years. Never know had expanded playoff format existed back then. 10-4 is damn good.

Good point. That 1977 defeat was hard to take for the very reason that the AFC was really up for grabs that year. Pittsburgh didn't have a great year. Denver had a fantastic defense, but their offense wasn't very good. The Broncos went on to the super bowl and turned in a stinker, but have to think Miami would have had a real chance that year.

To me, those are the tough ones to take. Losing with a team that has no chance still hurts, but not nearly the same as when you believe your team can go far.

Going way back, I remember a 10-7 loss to Bert Jones and Baltimore that put Miami at 10-4 for the season and out of the playoffs. I believe that was 1977.

Colts had a good three year run from '75, '76, '77 (Bert Jones, Lydell Mitchell, Roger Carr). Miami went 10-4, 6-8 and 10-4 and missed the postseason all three years. Tough stretch for us, but I honestly think Shula did some of his best coaching during that time.

My worst is 85 AFC Championship loss to Pats. 2 special team fumbles.
The other is 93 loss to Chargers. We were up 20-3 at half.

Jacksonville crushed the Dolphins in JJ's last game as Dolphin coach. The score was awful, it felt like about 67-3.

Pats 2002 - Should have gotten a QB after that game.
Texans 2003 - Started season 5-1, we don't lose that game we probably make the playoffs
Steelers 2007 - That game just summed up what miserable season we had
Any game we should have won comfortably in the Sparano era, but barely won or lost.
Losing to Thad Lewis, the Bucs and the last 2 games in 2013
The Pack in 14, The Vikings later that year because it saved Philbin's job

Since I've been a fan:

Bears 2010
Texans 2012- Tannehill's Christening
Cowboys on Thanksgiving 11'- Had the game wrapped up but lo and behold, the defense yet again can't stop an offense from coming back.
Tampa Bay 2013- Gave them their first win of the season smh
Surprised no one mentioned the Detroit loss in 2014.

Since I've been a fan:

Bears 2010
Texans 2012- Tannehill's Christening
Cowboys on Thanksgiving 11'- Had the game wrapped up but lo and behold, the defense yet again can't stop an offense from coming back.
Tampa Bay 2013- Gave them their first win of the season smh
Surprised no one mentioned the Detroit loss in 2014.

Man that Detroit game was a tough one I got hammered after that game was a tough one to take indeed

That 2002 Vikings game at the dome. Gary Anderson hits That FG that bounces over the crossbar which basically eliminated Miami from the playoffs.

AFC Divisional Game vs San Diego in 1995. Stoyanovich misses the game-winning kick that would've had Miami in the AFC Title Game.

The only game that literally made me cry (I was 13).

I honestly can't think of one that still irks me.

They usually bother me for the season itself then once a new season starts i forget the feeling. Also looking back, any losses that got Sparano and Philbin canned make me smile a little bit.

There are many, but I'll just mention one. And frankly, I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned earlier.

Super bowl vs. the San Francisco 49'ers.
I had no idea at the time how important that loss would be for me. I desperately wanted Dan Marino to win a Super Bowl and validate his GOAT career performance for the "nothing but Super Bowl rings matter" crowd. At the time, I expected to be back to the Super Bowl. At the time I was downtrodden but hopeful. At the time I didn't fully comprehend how great Dan Marino really was (I was just a kid). That sting never went away. In fact, over time it stung more and more. Perhaps it is fading some now because I'm just happy some people remember the great performances of Dan Marino, as time moves on pushing all of it, my memories and the sting of that loss, out of the public interest.

The Undefeated team will live in infamy forever as everyone and their brother jealously covets what they accomplished and indirectly praises them by attempting to argue that it somehow meant less than today. But, jealously, they all still covet what only the Undefeated team has.

Personally, I wanted Marino to have a Super Bowl ring. And that is the one that really stings.

If you want a 2nd game, it would be our AFC playoff loss to the Patriots in 1985. We beat the Bears and were the only team to do it. We did it because Marino processed information so quickly, had such great vision, and our WR's had such great quickness that even those overload schemes of Ryan couldn't stop our offensive juggernaut. We created a blueprint for other teams to follow, and in 1986, those Bears teams were beatable. They were beatable because they took what Dan Marino and Don Shula did and used that game plan. But, in 1985, the Dolphins lost to the friggin' New England Patriots, who weren't really that good. Had we won that game I suspect we would have beaten the Bears again in the Super Bowl, and Dan Marino would have had his ring.

For me the most painful game was marino's last playoff game. 62-7 to Jax. Made us look like we didn't belong.

Who was the backup QB? Damon Huard? I think we win that game if Huard was the starter. Huard was on fire and they decided to bench him. This is the same thing when NE won the superbowl with Brady and Bledsoe and they never benched Brady.

Back
Top Bottom