#54 Calls Wannstedt "Dave" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

#54 Calls Wannstedt "Dave"

Bad Lieutenant

Starter
Reaction score
Anyone read the articles about Zack Thomas putting the blame on his teammates and not "Dave," as he calls the coach.

I've been seeing this more and more, players referring to Wannstedt as "Dave."

What the hell happened to "Coach Wannstedt?" or merely "Coach."

The players have no respect for Wanny. They respect him as a person and good human being, but they do not respect him as an NFL coach.

And I don't want to hear how they know him for this and that such a time, who cares? I bet they called him Dave from day 1. Ridiculous. Any fan not put off by this can't be much of a "fan."

Wannstedt is called Dave by his players. That about sums it up.

By the way, I do agree with Thomas that it is the players' faults for this losing skid. Literally, two games we had, at home, at the end, we lost. That is because the players are not executing.

Perhaps that is a result of Wannstedt's B.S. nature, but they are professionals too.

Re: #54 Calls Wannstedt "Dave"

Originally posted by Bad Lieutenant
Anyone read the articles about Zack Thomas putting the blame on his teammates and not "Dave," as he calls the coach.

The players have no respect for Wanny. They respect him as a person and good human being, but they do not respect him as an NFL coach.

And I don't want to hear how they know him for this and that such a time, who cares? I bet they called him Dave from day 1. Ridiculous. Any fan not put off by this can't be much of a "fan."

so?

roflmao...

fans are on a search and destroy mission, any little bit of anything is called out and they're trying to make it into a big thing.

yeah and get his...Norv Turner calls Wannstedt dave... but bates calls him Mr. Wannstedt...

i see nothing wrong with calling him dave, they are all grown a$$ men

I guess you guys know all the answers.

I wonder how many Bucs players call Gruden "Jon?"

How many Cowboys players call Parcells "Bill?"

How many Pats players call Belichick "Bill?"

The answer.....

NONE!

check this out... I know this will sound kind of wierd but I call my Supervisor Ken... and My Manager Chris... and the VP Jackie... I know calling my superiors and people that can fire me by there first names is just ****ing crazy huh? I must not have respect for them.

I think that everyone is "grasping at straws"

I don't think players calling Wannstedt "Dave" is a problem. I think the biggest problem is Dave Wannstedt's coaching.

I really don't know what kind of Lt you are if you're one at all but I'm guessing that this rigid vertical structure mentality you have is as a result of some sort of over-zealous, gung-ho, militaristic brain washing that has you believing that a title equals respect; it doesn't. I've dealt with lieutenants in several different capacities and each was different. Some wanted to be called sir, some wanted to be called lieutenant, some wanted to be called "Bob" (or whatever their name happened to be), and most I just called "LT." At any rate, the title meant absolutely nothing, it was the man behind the title that either earned respect or was thought of as a lop.

Bro, you are a bit misguided in your thinking and might want to make some semblance of an attempt to understand that, coaching is a very loose command structure, one does not have to use titles to gain or maintain respect. In fact, one of your own examples damns you in this case as most- if not all- of Gruden's players call him "Jon."

Really, get off your high horse here, come back to Earth and realize that Wanny's title- or lack thereof- has absolutely nothing to do with the problems this team has.

BTW, saying that if someone disagrees with they are automatically "not real fans" is one of the dumbest statements I've read on these boards in a while. You might want to rethink that.

I guess you guys know all the answers.

I wonder how many Bucs players call Gruden "Jon?"

How many Cowboys players call Parcells "Bill?"

How many Pats players call Belichick "Bill?"

The answer.....

NONE!

Simply not true. I've seen lots of players call Belichick and Parcells "Bill". And I've seen Keyshawn, among others, call his coach "Jon" and "Tony" on several occastions. You really pulled this one out of your azz. :cool:

Heck, every boss I've ever worked for made me call them by their first name. And I've worked for some big companies and some really egotistical people.

Also, nobody cares much for being classified (i.e...if you don't believe "this", you're not a real fan). :tsk:

DolfanMike, where are you? I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.

The opening post overstated/overstepped a bit, but I think there's something to be said for a coach expecting -- or even demanding -- that his players call him "Coach". Far down the road in their relationship, maybe certain players might earn a first-name basis, -- but even that should depend on the situation.

I used to work for a guy I knew as Chip. We and our significant others ended up sailing most of the East Coast together, thanks to Chip owning and maintaining a 40ft Catalina. If we were on that vessel, he was "Captain" (more like "Cap'n") to me. My idea, not his. Rolled right off my tongue, and it included respect for the hierarchy on that boat. I grew up sailing. Landlubbers may not understand or see the appropriateness of this; accomplished sailors will usually get it.

If I were an NFL coach and intended to make a franchise fly right, players would know I was to be called Coach, period.

You do not respect your boss if you call them by their 1st name?

Damn I never knew that.

Oliver...

i tried calling my boss sir, he told me to shutup cuz it made him feel old. "Martin it is then sir..errr...i mean okay."

Back
Top Bottom