#54 Calls Wannstedt "Dave" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

#54 Calls Wannstedt "Dave"

I would like everyone to stop calling me inFINS.....my name is inFINSible.

Please stop perverting my name to suit your lazy, anti-typing, agenda.

If you don't submit to my wishes then you must not like me.

I agree with Expo on this one. It depends on who the leader is and if that level of respect is earned. Personalities factor in also. I doubt if players called "Coach Shula" Don or "Coach Landry," Tom or "Coach Lombardi,"Vince. Todays Football lends itself to more informality. I wonder if this translates to government? Does anyone have the sack to call "Vice President Cheney" Dickie-poo? Doubt it.

Let me see:

I call the president: George W.

I call Jesus H. Christ: Jesus

I call My Wife: Baby

I call my daughter: Sweety

I call my car: Truck

BTW, Rob Johnson calls Gruden "John".

Every Player Jimmy Johnson had used to call him Jimmy.

So, go ahead.....try again.

Originally posted by Phan4Ever
DolfanMike, where are you? I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.

The opening post overstated/overstepped a bit, but I think there's something to be said for a coach expecting -- or even demanding -- that his players call him "Coach". Far down the road in their relationship, maybe certain players might earn a first-name basis, -- but even that should depend on the situation.

I used to work for a guy I knew as Chip. We and our significant others ended up sailing most of the East Coast together, thanks to Chip owning and maintaining a 40ft Catalina. If we were on that vessel, he was "Captain" (more like "Cap'n") to me. My idea, not his. Rolled right off my tongue, and it included respect for the hierarchy on that boat. I grew up sailing. Landlubbers may not understand or see the appropriateness of this; accomplished sailors will usually get it.

If I were an NFL coach and intended to make a franchise fly right, players would know I was to be called Coach, period.

When I read this I immediately thought back to last weeks pregame shows. I saw two interviews where HC were called by their first name by players. Gruden was one of them.

Anyhow, I don't think it's unusual for a Pro to call his Head coach by name, it wouldnt rub me wrong. Generation X is not a respector of person's, the best kids can do nowadays is call a coach "Gruden" or "Coach".....very few use "Coach Gruden" nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator:
most all of the bucs call gruden 'jon'. they all have rings, so it must not be that big of a problem.

I personally address my coach as Coach Long. However, a lot of the players just call him coach. I don't think I've ever heard someone call him bu his first name, which is Rocky. Maybe thats why, if my name was Rocky, I wouldn't want people calling me that......

At least Phan4Ever has some common sense.

The rest of you are out of it. Comparing a coach to the boss in your office? Lame.

There is a hierarchy in football, just like in a family. Families where the little kids call their parents by their first names are doomed to failure.

There is a certain line in sports, particularly football. They should refer to him as "Coach" or "Coach Wannstedt." And the lack of concern for such a basic principle just goes further in proving my point. This lax attitude, and nonsense from the Gen X generation, has led more to parity than anything else.

And yes, I think if you support the players referring to Wanny by his first name, then you are not a real fan. I don't think you watch every second of every game. I think you switch the channel if the Phins are getting blown out. This is what I mean when I say you're not a real fan.

:nono:

Originally posted by inFINSible
I would like everyone to stop calling me inFINS.....my name is inFINSible.

Please stop perverting my name to suit your lazy, anti-typing, agenda.

If you don't submit to my wishes then you must not like me.

We gotcha, inFINS.

Originally posted by BSQX4
I agree with Expo on this one. It depends on who the leader is and if that level of respect is earned. Personalities factor in also. I doubt if players called "Coach Shula" Don or "Coach Landry," Tom or "Coach Lombardi,"Vince. Todays Football lends itself to more informality. I wonder if this translates to government? Does anyone have the sack to call "Vice President Cheney" Dickie-poo? Doubt it.

Well said Dolfan!

Originally posted by Bad Lieutenant

The rest of you are out of it. Comparing a coach to the boss in your office? Lame.

There is a hierarchy in football, just like in a family. Families where the little kids call their parents by their first names are doomed to failure.

There is a certain line in sports, particularly football. They should refer to him as "Coach" or "Coach Wannstedt." And the lack of concern for such a basic principle just goes further in proving my point. This lax attitude, and nonsense from the Gen X generation, has led more to parity than anything else.

And yes, I think if you support the players referring to Wanny by his first name, then you are not a real fan. I don't think you watch every second of every game. I think you switch the channel if the Phins are getting blown out. This is what I mean when I say you're not a real fan.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. I don't think you should be classifying people. And I don't think anyone said they support players calling the coach by name.

No one was equating their bosses to an NFL head coach. Simply making analogies.

Listen, this stuff was said to the press. Nowhere has it been reported that the players call him "Dave" to his face. And THAT'S why it ain't a big deal. Dave may well have lost the locker room. But this topic certainly is not indicative of it. Especially with Super Bowl coaches like Gruden, Belichick, and Parcells given as examples.

But what would I know. I'm not a real fan. And my father calls his parents by their first names. :rolleyes: That's the trouble with generalizations....anybody who doesn't fit them can make you look like an azz.

Give it a rest brother. You ain't making any friends with this pompous act.

Originally posted by Bad Lieutenant

Wow! The more posts I read from you the more I wonder if you have even approached your "nether region hair growing years" because most of what you've written is immature, senseless, devoid of logic, and downright stupid.

You have absolutely no basis in reality and really wouldn't understand a command structure if one came up and ripped your a** off with its teeth so it might be time for you to pipe down now and run off to your mommy so she can give you some warm milk and put you to sleep; I believe it's past your bed time.

BTW, If not watching every second of every game all the time casues me to be considered something other than a "real fan" by the likes of an individual such as yourself then I believe that I am doing alright in life. Basically what you're really saying is that if we're not all compulsive lunatics who obsess over every nuance of a football game while sacrificing all else in our lives so that we might lament for long hours over mistakes over which we have no control and games which truly have no bearing on our further existence whatsoever then we must not be real fans. I guess if that's true, sign me up for the "not a real" fan ship.

Respect is earned so Wanny has to earn it! If you earn it I'll respect you YES SIR! If not OK man!

That's the thing. We don't know what they call him to his face.

Originally posted by Expo88

Wow! The more posts I read from you the more I wonder if you have even approached your "nether region hair growing years" because most of what you've written is immature, senseless, devoid of logic, and downright stupid.

You're getting at the part where he says I have common sense, aren't you?:tongue:

Back
Top Bottom