9 reasons not to take a DB in the 1st round... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

9 reasons not to take a DB in the 1st round...

Danny

Finheaven VIP
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
There's been a lot of talk about taking a DB at 16....I think we need some DB's but is it necesary to take one at 16? I was reading the mock at NFL countdown which I think is one of the best around and they have 9 DB's going in round 2 which means one thing....there're plenty to chose from in the 2nd round...I think we should go OLB or O-line at 16 and if a guy like Kiwanuka is there then he'd be hard to pass on too depending on who else is there. Anyway, these are the 9 DB's they have going in the 2nd round.
1-Bing
2-Cromartie
3-Joseph
4-Bullocks
5-Marshall
6-Jennings
7-Manning
8-Minter
9-Allen

Now of course it doesn't mean it'll go like this but I think we should go DB in rounds 2 and/or 3 but not at 16...but then again if Huff is there.....:D

Ozzy rules!!

Great point. I do agree, just had to guess who does fall to us. I like all 9 guys on that list. I still kinda hope there is a way that we can trade down and get an extra pick so maybe we can land a few of those guys. Great post

Kiwanuka will go in the late first/early second maybe even mid to late second. Cromartie won't be there. I would be fine with Marshall in the second though.

Marshall is the guy I have going to us in the 2nd round on my mock.

Ozzy rules!!

Danny said:
There's been a lot of talk about taking a DB at 16....I think we need some DB's but is it necesary to take one at 16? I was reading the mock at NFL countdown which I think is one of the best around and they have 9 DB's going in round 2 which means one thing....there're plenty to chose from in the 2nd round...I think we should go OLB or O-line at 16 and if a guy like Kiwanuka is there then he'd be hard to pass on too depending on who else is there. Anyway, these are the 9 DB's they have going in the 2nd round.
1-Bing
2-Cromartie
3-Joseph
4-Bullocks
5-Marshall
6-Jennings
7-Manning
8-Minter
9-Allen

Now of course it doesn't mean it'll go like this but I think we should go DB in rounds 2 and/or 3 but not at 16...but then again if Huff is there.....:D

Ozzy rules!!

Cromartie is projected 1st Rd

dominizzo said:
Cromartie is projected 1st Rd
Not on NFL countdown...they have him going in the 2nd round but of course that's just their mock...the point is that there will be plenty of good DB's to go around in the 2nd round and even into the 3rd.

Ozzy rules!!

In the first round I think we need to address other areas then DB as well. I think we will target either NT or OLB. We still need to get younger in the front seven.

NT : I think Traylor and Zgonina did well playing NT in 2005, but both are old and we need a yound guy to step in here. I don't think Wright will be playing NT in the 3-4 he just doesn't have the frame or the ability to dominate in that space. Wright will play 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT, backing up Holliday and hopefully stepping up to take over that spot. Vickerson hopefully will be good depth and if we could get a young guy that could start at NT that would set our D-Line.

OLB : We need a young guy to replace Seau. Spragen could start here next season, but would be nice to get someone in the draft to start here like Crowder did last year. LBs are key in Saban's D and I am sure we will see more draft picks this year and next.
I don't think we are as pressed to address the rush end that JT plays yet and Zach is good for 2 more years(or more). I think next year we start drafting guys to add good depth there and to step up when needed.

There is also alot of Quality players at the NT/OLB position projected around the #16 spot.

I really can't see us drafting a CB first round. We have Daniels, Poole, Mitchell and couple other young guys for depth and evaluation for the future. I really see us lookin to add a Vet CB to start opposite Daniels that is mid-priced range and fits Saban's D.

I do however like the idea of drafting a S, but later in the draft. I think 3rd/4th like we did with Daniels last year. Saban can find a good player here with his vast knowledge for evaluating players in the secondary.

In the remote case that Huff falls to us?? I bet Saban would take him in a heartbeat and take an OL in the 2nd round

TotoreMexico said:
In the remote case that Huff falls to us?? I bet Saban would take him in a heartbeat and take an OL in the 2nd round

Man, wouldn't that be better than Christmas if that happened!!!!:D

Danny that sounds like a great plan.

How about we trade down, and if it is possible, pick up a 2nd rounder to trade down (I don't know if it's possible, I haven't looked at a value chart).

So in the first we take the best OLB left maybe Sims, Carpenter, Ryans or Lawson, which would be amazing if he was still there.

Then in the second we take an OT like Colledge, Winston, Whiteworth, McNeill or Scott.

Then with the other second take the best DB left from Danny's list: Bing, Cromartie, Joseph, Bullocks, Marshall, Jennings, Manning, Minter or Allen.

This is assuming we can get a second to trade and also that we sign Brees.

Nice post. I agree unless, as you indicated, Huff is there. Greenway, Huff, Lawson, McNeil, Carpenter would be my top 5 for round 1 in the 16 range.

Splat said:

How about we trade down, and if it is possible, pick up a 2nd rounder to trade down (I don't know if it's possible, I haven't looked at a value chart).

So in the first we take the best OLB left maybe Sims, Carpenter, Ryans or Lawson, which would be amazing if he was still there.

Then in the second we take an OT like Colledge, Winston, Whiteworth, McNeill or Scott.

Then with the other second take the best DB left from Danny's list: Bing, Cromartie, Joseph, Bullocks, Marshall, Jennings, Manning, Minter or Allen.

I'd be jumping up and down if it went down like that....trading down would be a good option if we can do it...to get a 2nd tho I think we'd have to move down into the 20's and we couold take Carpenter there...I'd love to see what Saban can do with 4 picks on day one and of course 3 in the 1st 2 rounds.

Ozzy rules!!

Splat said:

That would be better than sex!!!!!

PhinFan0202 said:
I only need one reason to pick a DB in the first, Micheal Huff.

I get you there. Huff, who we wont be able to get, is amazing. Those are nine great DBs that would help us out a ton. Remember how many big plays Miami gave up and got burnt on. I think we need to draft at least two good guys for our secondary and maybe more. Then work on LBs. Our LBs will get the job done, if we can bring in Brees and maybe Ashworth or another O line, We should spend almost every draft pick on our D. Our D is getting old, and we have alot of holes. I love those nine reasons

Back
Top Bottom