9 reasons not to take a DB in the 1st round... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

9 reasons not to take a DB in the 1st round...

Instead of starting a new thread I figure this is as good a place as any to post some thoughts.

If you are one of those people that think we will draft a DB in the first could I get a few reasons why.

I am of the opinion that there isn't any way we draft a DB in the first or second. We currently have 4 young CBs on the team and hopefully 2 of them can step up and really contribute. Daniels has already shown he can start and will only get better this year. Poole looked like he would have started last year before he got hurt then Daniels stepped up. We also have Mitchell and Jackson that could provide the depth we need. Mitchell was likely a 4th rd pick last year but got hurt. He ran sub 4.4 and has good size 5'11" 190 lbs. I think he would at least be a good nickle guy if he can regain his form. I don't expect much out of Jackson but he is young and could be decent depth.

So that is 4 guys, all 25 or younger. Poole had an ACL tear, Mitchell had a LCL and ACL tear. Daniels and Jackson are in good health. All have good size that Saban looks for Mitchell being the smallest. I am excited about our young CBs and the possiblity that we could be set for years.

In the Safety department we have Tillman and Bell. I think Tillman is good depth but I don't want to count on him to start. I do like Bell though, he showed good stuff last year and I think he can hold the starting job this year. They are older then our CBs with bell at 27 and Tillman at 28. I do think we will get a Safety in the draft this year. I am thinking more like 3rd/4th. There is also the big possiblity we just draft one with a 7th and bring in some young UFA to look at too.

I would rather we bring in a stop-gap Vet to start opposite Daniels with Poole at the nickle untill he proves he can start. Same at Safety as well; bring in a stop-gap Vet to start opposite Bell till we can develope a new, younger guy.

I just think we lack youth at the OLB, NT, QB, and WR. Our defensive front 7 will be addressed again this draft and 2 of first 3 picks could go here. The other 2 of our top 4 picks would be S/WR/QB/O-line depending on what guys are available.

DB is just not that pressing of an issue to give a top pick too. I do agree on getting a S in the draft this year but 3rd/4th if one is there that looks good.

I'll give you 2 reasons...
Pat Surtain rnd 3
Sam Madison Rnd 2

ZolarZ_GoPhins said:
Instead of starting a new thread I figure this is as good a place as any to post some thoughts.

If you are one of those people that think we will draft a DB in the first could I get a few reasons why.

I am of the opinion that there isn't any way we draft a DB in the first or second. We currently have 4 young CBs on the team and hopefully 2 of them can step up and really contribute. Daniels has already shown he can start and will only get better this year. Poole looked like he would have started last year before he got hurt then Daniels stepped up. We also have Mitchell and Jackson that could provide the depth we need. Mitchell was likely a 4th rd pick last year but got hurt. He ran sub 4.4 and has good size 5'11" 190 lbs. I think he would at least be a good nickle guy if he can regain his form. I don't expect much out of Jackson but he is young and could be decent depth.

So that is 4 guys, all 25 or younger. Poole had an ACL tear, Mitchell had a LCL and ACL tear. Daniels and Jackson are in good health. All have good size that Saban looks for Mitchell being the smallest. I am excited about our young CBs and the possiblity that we could be set for years.

In the Safety department we have Tillman and Bell. I think Tillman is good depth but I don't want to count on him to start. I do like Bell though, he showed good stuff last year and I think he can hold the starting job this year. They are older then our CBs with bell at 27 and Tillman at 28. I do think we will get a Safety in the draft this year. I am thinking more like 3rd/4th. There is also the big possiblity we just draft one with a 7th and bring in some young UFA to look at too.

I would rather we bring in a stop-gap Vet to start opposite Daniels with Poole at the nickle untill he proves he can start. Same at Safety as well; bring in a stop-gap Vet to start opposite Bell till we can develope a new, younger guy.

I just think we lack youth at the OLB, NT, QB, and WR. Our defensive front 7 will be addressed again this draft and 2 of first 3 picks could go here. The other 2 of our top 4 picks would be S/WR/QB/O-line depending on what guys are available.

DB is just not that pressing of an issue to give a top pick too. I do agree on getting a S in the draft this year but 3rd/4th if one is there that looks good.

I understand what your getting at, but our secondary got burnt and gave up so many big plays last year that I think it is a very important issue that needs work going into next season. I think a S and CB in the first 3 rounds is very doable. We can address QB, OL, DL, and maybe even WR all in FA. But it is time to get young on D. draft S, CB, and LB all high in the draft to get guys who can come right in and make a difference

playmaker1 said:
Great point. I do agree, just had to guess who does fall to us. I like all 9 guys on that list. I still kinda hope there is a way that we can trade down and get an extra pick so maybe we can land a few of those guys. Great post

Exactly. id lve a lawson or carpenter or whatver in rd 1 then a bing and a marshall maybe both in rd 2 or if not 2 rds 2 at least 1 extra rd 3

SR 7 said:
Exactly. id lve a lawson or carpenter or whatver in rd 1 then a bing and a marshall maybe both in rd 2 or if not 2 rds 2 at least 1 extra rd 3

that would be sweet deal bud

playmaker1 said:
I understand what your getting at, but our secondary got burnt and gave up so many big plays last year that I think it is a very important issue that needs work going into next season. I think a S and CB in the first 3 rounds is very doable. We can address QB, OL, DL, and maybe even WR all in FA. But it is time to get young on D. draft S, CB, and LB all high in the draft to get guys who can come right in and make a difference

Our burnt Secondary is returning one starter this year. It will not be the same. Daniels and Bell are both young and can start next year. Wouldn't our Secondary be much better with a Quality Vet starting opposite them instead of another Rookie? We drafted a CB last 2 years both in the 4th. I would like to see a DB drafted again in the 3rd/4th spot but for the Safety position.

I guess we will see in a couple months. I see us picking up a couple DBs in FA. We need the Vet experience now to get us help in the Secondary. We already have 2 good young CB and 2 projects. We need the youth up front on D and that is where I think we will go the first couple rounds.

ZolarZ_GoPhins said:
Our burnt Secondary is returning one starter this year. It will not be the same. Daniels and Bell are both young and can start next year. Wouldn't our Secondary be much better with a Quality Vet starting opposite them instead of another Rookie? We drafted a CB last 2 years both in the 4th. I would like to see a DB drafted again in the 3rd/4th spot but for the Safety position.

I guess we will see in a couple months. I see us picking up a couple DBs in FA. We need the Vet experience now to get us help in the Secondary. We already have 2 good young CB and 2 projects. We need the youth up front on D and that is where I think we will go the first couple rounds.

problem is that there isn't many good DBs that are FAs that we can get. the few that are there are gonna cost a butt load

As the draft is getting closer and closer, i agree with the idea of a trade down, there are probably only three prospects that we would take at #16 Cutler, Hawk, Huff. So A trade down would be good, but here is my slight twist to trade down twice. Say from 16 to 20-22, then from their to 25-27. With us netting a 2nd rd and then another (2nd or 3rd & 4th) for the next trade down.

If Saban plays it write we get 2-3 extra picks for our 1st Rd pic and still be in the first round. If i remember right, Jimmy J. pulled this of before 96-99

We can get now:
1st (our)LB
2nd (our) DB
2nd (trade) OL
2nd or 3rd (trade) S
3rd (our) QB

305finforlife said:
As the draft is getting closer and closer, i agree with the idea of a trade down, there are probably only three prospects that we would take at #16 Cutler, Hawk, Huff. So A trade down would be good, but here is my slight twist to trade down twice. Say from 16 to 20-22, then from their to 25-27. With us netting a 2nd rd and then another (2nd or 3rd & 4th) for the next trade down.

If Saban plays it write we get 2-3 extra picks for our 1st Rd pic and still be in the first round. If i remember right, Jimmy J. pulled this of before 96-99

We can get now:
1st (our)LB
2nd (our) DB
2nd (trade) OL
2nd or 3rd (trade) S
3rd (our) QB

Not only will it be very difficult to trade down, but it will be extremely difficult to trade down twice.

There are many teams looking to trade down as well so I seriously DOUBT this happens.

Realistically we'll end up staying where we are now.. Time to wake up and smell the coffee

what do you think of trading our 2nd round pick for a shot at huff. i would definatly send a 3rd round. i know it does make sense on paper because of how old our defense is but i believe huff going to fill a spot well in our secondary for a decade. what are your thoughts is huff not good enough for 2 picks.

ZolarZ_GoPhins said:

DB's are Sabans thing, I could see us taking 2 on the first day. Daniels is the only sure thing for next year, and Saban knows he can get get rookie DB's that can step in and contribute. We need a playmaker at safety, and that will most likely be addressed in the first 2 rounds. Bell has shown some pretty good potential, but he has a nasty injury history and would be better suited as a part time guy at least until he shows he can stay healthy. I would love to see Poole of Mitchell step in and be able to start, but we can't expect them to be able to do that coming off injuries like they have. They are going to need time and that is something we don't have. If we can score a stud CB on the first day we have our starters solidified for years, and we arn't wasting talent with Poole and Mitchell because they will definatly be able to contribute in nickle and dime packages.
DB's are an imporant part of our defense and the more young talent we have there the better off this team will be for awhile.

saves said:
DB's are Sabans thing, I could see us taking 2 on the first day. Daniels is the only sure thing for next year, and Saban knows he can get get rookie DB's that can step in and contribute. We need a playmaker at safety, and that will most likely be addressed in the first 2 rounds. Bell has shown some pretty good potential, but he has a nasty injury history and would be better suited as a part time guy at least until he shows he can stay healthy. I would love to see Poole of Mitchell step in and be able to start, but we can't expect them to be able to do that coming off injuries like they have. They are going to need time and that is something we don't have. If we can score a stud CB on the first day we have our starters solidified for years, and we arn't wasting talent with Poole and Mitchell because they will definatly be able to contribute in nickle and dime packages.
DB's are an imporant part of our defense and the more young talent we have there the better off this team will be for awhile.

I know we need a solid #1 CB, I think Daniels will be a very good option at #2 but not sure he will hold the top CB role. Not very many rookies come in the NFL and can be a Top CB. Heck, I am sure Daniels had the best year of all the rookie Cbs. That said the only way to get that #1 CB for our D this year is to address it in FA, or Poole could step up. Either way we still need a FA CB, hopefully to start, at least for depth.

I see Saban's knowledge of the DB position differently then most I guess. I think he has a knack for finding quality DBs later in the draft say rd 3-4. He can then address offense or front 7 D in early picks.

I like us getting 1 good skill position guy in our first 4 picks on O. We will draft a LB and NT. That leaves one spot left for DB and I think it will be S in 3/4. Don't forget O-Line too, that is a big possibilty. How can we address all this and take 2 DBs like alot of people are saying.

I do agree with you on Poole and Mitchell. I think Poole will be a great Nickle guy. He has good size and did well in coverage before he got hurt. Mitchell is fast and can be a contributer on ST and hopefully good depth, but he is a bit on the small side. I also really liked Eddie Jackson last year, but alot of folks sell him off as PS material.

The difference is I would rather get a solid starter now, then let some rookie struggle for 2 years at the starting CB spot before we can tell if he can play or not. Folks dogged Madison but he helped Daniels alot with his experience. I doubt a rookie can step up and perform like Madison did.

After QB I think a solid CB FA is our next priority, problem is there isn't alot out there. Actually I wouldn't be surprised by anything that Saban can pull off but I seriously doubt we get 2 DBs in the draft in 1-4.

My stance is 1 DB, likely a S, rd 3-4. Not like we are gonna tell Saban what to do. All we can do is hypothisize and see who gets it right.

hdjetta6316 said:
I'll give you 2 reasons...
Pat Surtain rnd 3
Sam Madison Rnd 2
Pat was a 2nd rounder 44th overall in 1998.
Sam was a 2nd rounder 44th overall in 1997.

Just wanted to clear that up for ya hdjetta.

Back
Top Bottom