A Better Draft Than We Realized? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Better Draft Than We Realized?

FinFan57

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Most people are evaluating our draft solely on the 6 draft picks we made. Those picks alone, in my opinion, made this the best draft the Dolphins have had in years. We received great value with each pick and we addressed crucial needs.

In addition, it appears we will pick up 4 or 5 solid undrafted free agents. Perhaps most importantly, we forget that A.J. Feeley, Lamar Gordon, and David Boston were all obtained with pick from THIS draft. That means that our starting QB, starting RB (Brown) and his backup (Gordon), plus all the other picks and free agents this year combine to make this a superb draft. Imagine if Boston comes back and contributes.

Without a doubt, we absolutely smoked every other AFC East team in this year's draft. I really don't think that any of the other teams helped themselves that much. However, the Dolphins have catapulted into respectability again due to this year's draft, especially if Feeley and Gordon (and Boston) contribute.

Time will tell about the picks, but it looks good. And the jury is out on Feeley, Gordon.

You could make that comment about any draft. The point is Saban made all the right decisions, in other words, the picks make a lot of sense. And, whether it works out right or not, Feeley will be our starting QB and Gordon will see a lot of action.

No one can predict if a player will have a season or career-ending injury or personal problems that prohibit him from being effective, but this draft and the guys picked are the right picks based on their college careers, evaluations from experts, draft value, and our needs. That's all you can ask for.

Not to burst your bubble because I share some of your optimism, BUT Feeley hasn't proven anything yet beyond "promise", Gordon may not make the team, and Boston is already gone! I think the strength of thias draft beyond the six picks are the quaility undrafted players we added. I think 3-5 have legitimate chances of making the 53 man roster. Holmes and/or Sesay at TE, Harris at RB, Davis at WR, Mitchell at CB/RS, and maybe a sleeper or two. The five above had draftable grades by many "experts".

IMO you rate the draft based on the guys that you drafted with the picks you had.

If you take everything into consideration then the Raiders smoked everyone by getting Moss, and the Chiefs did very well getting Surtain.

Based upon potential and the stats WE would give these players on Madden, I agree. But lets not jump the gun here. I am very optimistic and like alot of our acquisitions, and truly feel we will be a sleeper and suprise team in the AFC if noth the NFL. But we can't say anything until the pads are on and we're at full speed.

Ohiophinphan said:
Not to burst your bubble because I share some of your optimism, BUT Feeley hasn't proven anything yet beyond "promise", Gordon may not make the team, and Boston is already gone! I think the strength of thias draft beyond the six picks are the quaility undrafted players we added. I think 3-5 have legitimate chances of making the 53 man roster. Holmes and/or Sesay at TE, Harris at RB, Davis at WR, Mitchell at CB/RS, and maybe a sleeper or two. The five above had draftable grades by many "experts".

I don't see where Feeley has shown promise. Except promising a boneheaded INT at the worst possible moment - half of which were returned for TDs. The only thing Feeley has over our ex-starter is arm strength. His decision making was poor, his accuracy was very questionable and his lack of mobility make the comparison pretty much a wash. Does Feeley have more potential than our ex QB? Probably - but that isn't saying much. That's why I think Gus will be our starter and Feeley will be gone after this next season. And we will look another direction for the QB position. Just my opinion.

FinFan57 said:
Most people are evaluating our draft solely on the 6 draft picks we made. Those picks alone, in my opinion, made this the best draft the Dolphins have had in years. We received great value with each pick and we addressed crucial needs.

In addition, it appears we will pick up 4 or 5 solid undrafted free agents. Perhaps most importantly, we forget that A.J. Feeley, Lamar Gordon, and David Boston were all obtained with pick from THIS draft. That means that our starting QB, starting RB (Brown) and his backup (Gordon), plus all the other picks and free agents this year combine to make this a superb draft. Imagine if Boston comes back and contributes.

Without a doubt, we absolutely smoked every other AFC East team in this year's draft. I really don't think that any of the other teams helped themselves that much. However, the Dolphins have catapulted into respectability again due to this year's draft, especially if Feeley and Gordon (and Boston) contribute.

Right now I would have to agree with you. We really won't know about this year for at least 2-3 years from now though......but on paper...right now...you are correct.

SCall13 said:
I don't see where Feeley has shown promise. Except promising a boneheaded INT at the worst possible moment - half of which were returned for TDs. The only thing Feeley has over our ex-starter is arm strength. His decision making was poor, his accuracy was very questionable and his lack of mobility make the comparison pretty much a wash. Does Feeley have more potential than our ex QB? Probably - but that isn't saying much. That's why I think Gus will be our starter and Feeley will be gone after this next season. And we will look another direction for the QB position. Just my opinion.

Completely disagree....we know no more about Feeley then we do about most of our draft picks. He has not been given a realistic chance. After this season I think we can really make an assessment...

Dbergan said:
Completely disagree....we know no more about Feeley then we do about most of our draft picks. He has not been given a realistic chance. After this season I think we can really make an assessment...

Please, he was horrible overall last year. I hope he can step up, but I really think Gus will beat him out!

He shows no pocket presence, and panics to easy. He also seems to read defences very pourly.

Maybe someone get drill into his head and make him think he is a QB, I feel Linehan and Saban will have there hands full with him.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Please, he was horrible overall last year. I hope he can step up, but I really think Gus will beat him out!

He shows no pocket presence, and panics to easy. He also seems to read defences very pourly.

Maybe someone get drill into his head and make him think he is a QB, I feel Linehan and Saban will have there hands full with him.
I agree NJ.

If we look at our draft with AJ, Lamar and Boston, I think it makes our draft look worse, JMO.

NJFINSFAN1 said:

You might be right...but lets see what Nick and Linehan can do before we crucify the guy. Honestly...I feel the jury is out on every single player on the team right now until this new coaching staff has had a chance to teach them and let them mature w/ a reasonable chance to succeed.

I even feel that way about the turnstile..err....Smith.....LOL

finsnchips said:
I agree NJ.

If we look at our draft with AJ, Lamar and Boston, I think it makes our draft look worse, JMO.

Wow....Boston never palyed a down, AJ was thrown to the wolves and Lamar could be a solid back.....explain your logic please. Is it fair to also say that Chambers sucks, McMike was a failure etc?

I will say it again...let St. Nick give our roster a chance to prove itself and then lets see. You guys might be right but it's premature to make an assumption based on the Wanny years...JMHO

Dbergan said:
Wow....Boston never palyed a down, AJ was thrown to the wolves and Lamar could be a solid back.....explain your logic please. Is it fair to also say that Chambers sucks, McMike was a failure etc?

I will say it again...let St. Nick give our roster a chance to prove itself and then lets see. You guys might be right but it's premature to make an assumption based on the Wanny years...JMHO
CC and Randy did not suck... they still done alrite.

You answered my Boston point yourself. Although he was a high reward risk, he didn't pan out. I like him and hope he comes back.

I like both Lamar and AJ - but I look at it rationally. We used a first and a third in the draft on a RB, and AJ did not pan out as expected. Yes he was thrown to the wolves, but he is not a rookie.

finsnchips said:
CC and Randy did not suck... they still done alrite.

You answered my Boston point yourself. Although he was a high reward risk, he didn't pan out. I like him and hope he comes back.

I like both Lamar and AJ - but I look at it rationally. We used a first and a third in the draft on a RB, and AJ did not pan out as expected. Yes he was thrown to the wolves, but he is not a rookie.

Not sure if I would agree that Chambers and McMike did all that well. Not to say that they did all that bad...but they were on a 4 win team w/ a horrid offense...so they most likely would get lumped in w/ the rest by many who review the phins.

I agree that AJ is not a rookie...but name me how many games he has started in the NFL prior to the Phins. Now, think about the suituation that he was introduced to last year.

You simply can't make a solid conclusion on AJ based on last year. BUT....I think Saban can and will very shortly. If Gus starts then you are right and AJ is done...but lets just wait and see....AJ might surprise w/ a good coach and a good supporting staff.

I dont think Marino could have done miracles last year....maybe won us 3-4 more games...but the end result would have been the same in the end.

Back
Top Bottom