A Bit More on Crossman | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Bit More on Crossman

I still don't understand this.

It's one thing to have bad STs because your tertiary players are no good (there is ample evidence this is true in Miami to a certain extent), but Danny Crossman has made a career out of substandard ST coaching, and has progressively exceeded his ineptitude the last three years here.

Oh, well. Coach knows best.

Sounds like it.

He believes in him. He knows the results aren't there but is willing to let him turn it around.

He owns it now

He always has owned it.
I Guess that was beyond your "insight" to the team.

Too many posters here look for scape goats as opposed to in-depth repair answers.
Those guys are the ones who would use clay to patch a hole in a tire. - LOL

Sounds like it.

He believes in him. He knows the results aren't there but is willing to let him turn it around.

He owns it now
McDaniel has owned his coaching hires ever since he was hired. He has no problem getting rid of coaches if he feels they aren’t a fit for his coaching staff.

He obviously has a lot more confidence in Crossman than a lot of fans do.

Last edited:
He always has owned it.
I Guess that was beyond your "insight" to the team.

Too many posters here look for scape goats as opposed to in-depth repair answers.
Those guys are the ones who would use clay to patch a hole in a tire. - LOL
On the contrary!

I am always up for someone redeeming themselves, and McD is acknowledging that Crossman hasn’t performed at the level he needs to so far.

I am not sure what he sees that is going to make the leopard change his spots at this point, but have no problem with him trying……you just can’t fully lay this at the feet of Crossman if unsuccessful. It is also taking a risk with the success of the team, which while the faith in Crossman is admirable it is a calculated decision that could become problematic

To help you understand my “insight” Ray, Instead of solving the problem which he is clearly responsible to do, he is banking on it solving itself.

I hope he is right

On the contrary!

I am always up for someone redeeming themselves, and McD is acknowledging that Crossman hasn’t performed at the level he needs to so far.

I am not sure what he sees that is going to make the leopard change his spots at this point, but have no problem with him trying……you just can’t fully lay this at the feet of Crossman if unsuccessful. It is also taking a risk with the success of the team, which while the faith in Crossman is admirable it is a calculated decision that could become problematic

To help you understand my “insight” Ray, Instead of solving the problem which he is clearly responsible to do, he is banking on it solving itself.

I hope he is right

Fair enough.

As I have said in other posts, the problem may be more in the players available for Special Teams then it is due to coaching.

It will be interesting to see who we bring in this season to play on Special Teams. If we get a lot of new faces, this will go a long way in supporting my assertion of it being a player problem. If those new players also fail to perform, then it's probably time to look at improved coaching.

Considering the number of new coaches we have acquired when McDaniel started and then again last year and then again, this year, it's fair to say McDaniel is not shy about changing coaches when he can find better ones to bring in.

I'm not sure how to judge or grade the special teams coach other than our kickers. Sanders started off cold but played well in the 2nd half. Never felt our punter instilled much confidence or kicking ability. Is this coaching?

I thought Berrios was consistent but not spectacular. I can live with that.

If we agree that we had a lot of injuries to starters, then our backups and practice squad guys were playing starter roles. We must have had the bottom of the bottom on specials. Is that coaching?

If someone can dissect kickoffs, punting, blocking and lineup schemes on special teams under Crossman, then perhaps we can truly understand if it is all coaching?

You are what your record says you are! Bill Parcells.

When we had the worst ST in 30+ years of Dolphin football in 2022, he should have been fired on the spot. It’s a failure that he was still allowed to coach this last year and again underperform.

Sean McVay had an almost identical take on his "not so" special teams coordinator, must be some new age, touchy feely mumbo jumbo. Kids these days....

"Rams coach Sean McVay admits the special teams were not good enough in 2023. But he says that’s not how he judges his special teams coordinator, Chase Blackburn.

McVay said he’s keeping Blackburn in 2024 because he observes the way Blackburn coaches, and sees that as more important than the Rams’ shaky results in the kicking game.

“We were able to separate some of the results that we know weren’t good enough, to be able to say, when we talk about process over results, are we really that way? And watching how Chase handled that earned a tremendous amount of respect from me for him,” McVay said."

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/sean-mcvay-defends-rams-special-teams-coordinator-chase-blackburn-process-over-results#:~:text=But%20he%20says%20that's%20not,results%20in%20the%20kicking%20game.

Crossman was fired by the Lions due poor special teams. He was fired by the Bills due to poor special teams. Now he has had poor special teams in here.. I'm sure he'll figure it out and turn it around.

Back
Top Bottom