A Camp Report for Monday | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Camp Report for Monday

Ozzy

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I made it to camp!!!!

I first want to say that the Patrick Surtain Jersey's just came in and of course I'm now the proud owner of one.

Now lets do a little Mini Camp Report.

What's first>? My Disclaimer: This is nothing more than a mini camp folks, absolutely no pads, light hitting and don't touch the Qb's. So lets keep things in perspective.

Things can definitely be evaluated from mimi camps but pretty much only the from the Qb's, DB's, Lb's, and whomever is receiving the ball.

Let's start with the Qb's.

Everytime Jay Fiedler overthrew a ball, or missed a pass, there were three idiots at the end of the field, and one directly in front of me, yelling Griese, Griese way too loud. So lets start out with Griese......

Guess what? When Griese stepped in with the second teamers, they ran four running plays in a row, then on his very first pass, he slightly underthows the Wr, and Jamar Fletcher made a real nice catch for an INT, which could have been brought back for a TD. Now Griese did make a few nice touch passes and completed a couple deeper throws, but he's most definitely rusty, but looks eager to play.

Jay Fielder who I like to call Mr. Bring It On, overthrew quite a few of his longer throws today, one over the middle to McMike. McMike nearly made an outstanding one armed grabbed, but just could not handle the heat on the ball. Auturo Freeman caught it off the tip, and brought it back quite a ways. Jay was hitting the Rb's and Fb's really nicely. Griese also showed some nice touch on the short outs. Jay made one really bad pass, well it could have been the new Wr Jackson not reading the play correctly but Jay threw the ball anyway, right into the waiting hands of Patrick Surtain, who would have scored.

Sage was probably the most consistent of the Qb's today. He threw some nice over the middle passes, and his short outs to Battaglia, and Lee were sharp. Don't get me wrong for Sage was missing his share as well. But he connected the most passes I believe.

The other Qb is one of the only players with his name on the back of his Jersey. I did not know we signed a guy named FODDER?

Now lets do some Wr's:

Chambers missed today for some reason. Also no Robert Baker, Kendall Newson, and McKnight was only in for a session, maybe two.

Robert Bellamy made a real nice diving reception, on a pass thrown by Fiedler. He was totally stretched out about two and a half feet off the ground, and rolled over onto his back. An almost impossible catch.

Margin Hooks had a nice deep ball thrown to him by Sage that had him beating T-Buck down the sidelines.

Sam Simmons caught a ball on a quick inside route and was off to the races, he made some decent moves and gained nearly 20 yards. I know DCH said he is just not in the Dolphins plans, and maybe for good reason (I'm no know it all) but I think he is should be given just as good a shot as the NFLE players coming in. He is kind of short but he is built, and has some pretty darn good return skills.

Darrius Thompson made caught a couple of balls from both Fiedler and Griese. One was a nice throw but a little high, and he just plucked it out of the air like nothing. I like his hands more and more, each time I see him.

The same can be said about Tolver, who BTW, is becoming my camp favorite. He was not in the action as much, but EVERY SINGLE play this guy goes all out. His routes IMO are very crisp, and he does get some separation. Lets gets some pads on him real soon please!

OK here we go with a new face, Wr Chris Jackson, he was getting a ton of throws today, and well, I don't want to be very negative, as a matter of fact maybe he was nervous, but he had quite a few drops today. At least 5 that I saw, one being a nice touch pass from Fiedler on the sidelines that hit him right in his hands. He has pretty darn good size, and looks to have good upper body strength.

Randy McMike, and Martin Battaglia had the most passes thrown their way today, with McMike being the victim of some uncatchable balls. Battagliator was getting short outs thrown at him all day, and he was catching them all. Donald Lee had one real nice grab on a crossing pattern that set him up for some good YAC.

Not much on the O-line today, except it's nice to see Jammie Nails working with the team, instead of on his own. I'll try and concentrate more on the O and D lines Tomorrow.

Three notes I have on the D-line. One is that JT was not at practice?? Two is that O-Gun was very active on the right side today.

And three is that Lamanzer Williams was also not at camp today. I was looking over the roster and for the life of me I cannot figure out what number Manzer will get?? The 60's are taken, the 70's are taken, and the 90's are also taken. Baker is #83, and Newson is #16, and of course Griese got his #14.

The Lb's are easy today, Zach made a couple of nice slice thru the line tackles today. One on RW's and the next series the same play on Travis Minor. And that new guy, number 55? Man I still want to know where they got this guy? They're letting him freelance the LOS, baiting the line into some mistakes, and setting up some blitzes. Number 55 is quite intimidating IMO and should make a huge difference for the defense.

OK the Db's:

It was really nice to finally see Sam Madison line up and play, he looks good, well rested, with no visible limp.

Freeman still starting, made that nice run after the easy Int.

Surtain made a nice read on the ball for his Int, which was 6 points.

Sammy Knight is learning the system pretty fast, or maybe he just has good instincts. He bumped JR Tolver ever so slightly on a nice catch by JR, who on that "bump" could have been 'FLATTENED".
Anyway I did not see Knight out of position today like I did for his first mini camp practices.

BTW, the team was working the Rb's more today than any practice to date. Using RW's running and catching the ball quite a bit, with Travis Minor backing him up. Then they're using Rb/Wr/STer Charlie Rogers a whole lot, on change of pace running plays and some newly added over the middle (out of the backfield and slot) passes that were pretty effective.

I really like this kid Rogers, but he is listed at 179 pounds and I hope they don't get him killed when the pads come on. Today he took just a slight bump from Tommy Hendrix and it looked like he woulda been flattened.....easy!

Anyway folks, I've babbled far too long. I hope you enjoy this lil tidbit of Dolphins info.

Have a wonderful day/evening, and yes I will be at camp again tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really good to hear Sam, the man, Madison is back..even with a leg injury last year we really didn't know about, he wasn't that bad, but you could tell, he was a step behind most of the year.

Thanks Ozzy.

Question: Overall, did you see any progress with the passing game, or do you feel the D was dominant as in the previous camps?

WTF is Chambers' problem? Keep it up and I'll be rockin' ThompsonOwnz88.. :yell:

Originally posted by Dude
Thanks Ozzy.

Question: Overall, did you see any progress with the passing game, or do you feel the D was dominant as in the previous camps?

This Defense might actually be scary!!

but yes today there was improvement with the Qb's......

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84
WTF is Chambers' problem? Keep it up and I'll be rockin' ThompsonOwnz88.. :yell:

:roflmao:

He'll be back, no worries!

What about some "Run Ricky Run" infos ?

It's been a while since we've heard about big #34 !
Did he see some action today or what ?
And BTW, big thx for the report oz ! Stay On The Air, Buddy ! :rocker:

Re: What about some "Run Ricky Run" infos ?

Originally posted by FRED'83
It's been a while since we've heard about big #34 !
Did he see some action today or what ?
And BTW, big thx for the report oz ! Stay On The Air, Buddy ! :rocker:

It's just so hard to evaluate Rb's when there is very very limited hitting. But today was a little different. They were running the ball a lot more, and yes Ricky looks good, as a matter of fact he broke one for a TD, that was over 60 yards. It was a cut back run, where the line simply leans on their men. Put some pads on and I might be saying something totally different though.

RW does IMHO look much faster than in camp last year!

I can't wait for next season !! Do we actually have some bad news on our Fins ?? We gotta stay positive guys !
Cheers Oz ! :surf:

Thank you for the report.

Did you notice who had the edge in arm strength between Jay and Brian?

Originally posted by DOLFANMIKE
Thank you for the report.

Did you notice who had the edge in arm strength between Jay and Brian?

IMHO .......Jay

Back
Top Bottom