A case for Robert Griffin III | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A case for Robert Griffin III

Asicswrg85

Active Roster
Reaction score
So it unfortunately looks like the Dolphins will not get an opportunity at Andrew Luck this draft given our win last week. I know this depresses many fans on this forum, but I think that Robert Griffin III has a chance to be a very good NFL QB. He will probably not be the QB that Luck has the potential to be but if not overshadowed by Luck, Griffin would be the talk of the NCAA right now. The big negative factor about this guy is that he is always compared to Vince Young and Michael due to the way he runs and offense and the fact that he is a dynamic runner. I wanted to provide some stats that show how much better this guy is at passing compared to Vick and Young. Everything assumes that since he is the dynamic runner that he is the same type of player, but in reality this guy is a MUCH better passer than Vick or Young were in college. Just look at the college stats below:

Robert Griffin III:
SEASON
CMPATTYDSCMP%YPALNGTDINTSACKRAT

Vince Young:
2003TexasBig 12FRQB8414358.711558.16.767130.6
2004TexasBig 12SOQB14825059.218497.46.41211128.4
2005TexasBig 12JRQB21232565.230369.39.62610163.9
CareerTexas44471861.860408.47.94428144.9

Passing

Year School Conf Class Pos Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate

Michael Vick:

1999Virginia TechBig EastQB10518158.0206511.411.6135172.0
2000Virginia TechBig EastSOQB8716154.012347.77.086127.4
CareerVirginia Tech19234256.132999.69.42111151.0

Passing

As you can see from this table, Griffin's Stats far exceed Vince Young's and Michael Vick's passing stats from when they were in college. Only one of Vince Young's years were above 60% completion percentage and none of Michael Vick's were. Griffin III's lowest completion percentage was 59.9%. I think this guy could be a big deal in the NFL because he has both speed and a great completion percentage. The only main question I have is the system he comes out of which will be an adjustment for him in pro-style offenses. This could prove to be a huge adjustment for the kid as Baylor runs mostly a shotgun formation. Finally let me compare him to one other person:

Cam Newton:
2007FloridaSECFRQB51050.0404.04.00083.6
2008FloridaSECSOQB1250.0147.07.000108.8
2010AuburnSECJRQB18528066.1285410.211.2307182.0

Passing

Again, from a passing standpoint, Robert Griffin III has the better completion percentage than Cam Newton did his senior year at Auburn.

1290746348_Snoop_Dogg__Murder_Was_the_Ca-1.jpg

So by a case for rgiii, I'm assuming you mean it would take drinking a case of beer for the next regime to waste a top five pick on him

I would lose my marbles if we ever took him over Barkley or Jones.. And we will certainly have a shot at either of those two

am I reading correct 71 sacks If he RGIII played 4 full seasons he would be close to 100 sacks

I generally don't like non-cerebral, instinctual athletic QBs as once the reflexes go, they lack the mental game to compensate for that. Great example was Culpecker. That's the reason I don't want Andy Reed here as he seems to gravitate towards these kinds of QBs (although of McNabb, Young and Vick, I believe Vick scored a decent Wonderlic).

However, as athletic as RG3 is, he's apparently as intelligent, already earning his poli sci degree in 3 years, will be awarded his Masters in May and aspires to next attend law school. He owns or shares 42 Baylor records and that includes QBs Don Trull and Cotton Davidson.

After Luck and Barkley, IMO he's definitely in play right up there with Landry Jones and Weeden. Ryan Fitz is a good example of how someone with mediocre talent but superior intellect can succeed if not excel. When you've got someone like RG3 with both, the sky could well be the limit!

To me he's a high risk, high reward type of player. You could be looking at a possibly even better Randall Cunningham or justa smarter Vince Young. But really when you think about it... VY has won games when he was starting so if RG3 is better than VY and isn't brain dead like VY then I'd love to have that guy in a Miami uniform. If Cam Newton was coming out of college this season I would have taken RG3 over Cam EASILY in the upcoming draft too. If they all come out this could be one of the best QB drafts in a Long time.

I know I will probably be torched for this but I don't see what Barkley can do that Griffin can't. For those who say he is to small, tell that to Aaron Rodgers.

I generally don't like non-cerebral, instinctual athletic QBs as once the reflexes go, they lack the mental game to compensate for that. Great example was Culpecker. That's the reason I don't want Andy Reed here as he seems to gravitate towards these kinds of QBs (although of McNabb, Young and Vick, I believe Vick scored a decent Wonderlic).

However, as athletic as RG3 is, he's apparently as intelligent, already earning his poli sci degree in 3 years, will be awarded his Masters in May and aspires to next attend law school. He owns or shares 42 Baylor records and that includes QBs Don Trull and Cotton Davidson.

After Luck and Barkley, IMO he's definitely in play right up there with Landry Jones and Weeden. Ryan Fitz is a good example of how someone with mediocre talent but superior intellect can succeed if not excel. When you've got someone like RG3 with both, the sky could well be the limit!

All that I can go on is the Baylor/Oklahoma St. game, although I'm aware of his great career stats. From what I saw, not necessarily regarding the stats of that game but how they looked playing overall, RGIII isn't even close to the prospect that Weeden is. I don't mean to be overly dismissive, but RGIII didn't really impress me.

rg3 over cam newton if they were head to head prospects is rediculous...and i'm not talkin in hindsight either...i'm talkin head to head predraft evals cam newton rolls

Right now, I think I'd take Griffin over Landry Jones. QB is a tough position to evaluate, so am not sure on the kid yet. He does look slight.

He is not as much of a no-brainer as Luck or Barkley (or even Weeden in terms of talent*). He is not a definite waste like Landry Jones.

*Weeden looks the part but age and injury history are concerns.

Griffin runs that spread/option that Meyers ran at UF and that scares me. It inflates the stats and may obscure his ability. I like the fact that Robert graduated in three yrs. To me, that shows that he has intellectual ability and shows a maturity coming into the league. I would not take him at the upper end of the draft, that is just me and it maybe a mistake. I think he is a very good athlete and he has rallied his team, but throwing in the NFL and throwing in the NCAA are two different beast. Some transition smoothly, but there are alot of great QBs in college that tank in the Pros, but you can say that about alot of players other than QBs. But since this is a position that is going to be so critical to our team in the draft, we have to negate the risk as much as possible. I just think the risk reward is lower on other players. JMHO.:)

Back
Top Bottom