A Chad Pennington Clone.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Chad Pennington Clone..

jonanthans

LES f**g MILES
Reaction score
We all have heard the arguments for and against Gabbert, Newton, Locker and Mallett. Some people believe there is a franchise Qb in that group, others don't want any of them.

I have been looking at some of the lesser known Qbs in this years draft, and one guy that keeps intriguing me is Greg McElroy, from Alabama. Watching tape of him, he reminds me of Chad Pennington in a lot of ways.

He is bigger than what I originally thought he was, at 6'3 and 225 lbs. He does not have the rocket arm but can make most of the throws on the field. He is a field general, has the attitude and confidence it takes to lead a team. He is tough, playing behind a patchwork O-Line this year that gave up 30 sacks this year and 18 sacks in 2009. He has awareness in the pocket but is not a real running threat Qb, usually stepping up or to the side while keeping his eyes down the field.

He goes through his progressions well, doesn't lock onto receivers, and reads defenses well. He was given the authority to call audibles by Saban after only his second career start as the 'Bama Qb.

He throws with touch, Julio Jones stated he throws the most "catchable" passes of anyone he has ever seen. He is smart with the ball, hangs in the pocket and doesn't force passes. He completed over 70% of his passes this season, had almost 3,000 yards passing, 20 TDs and only 5 interceptions while playing against the best defenses in college football week in and week out.

He is an extremely intelligent person as well, ranked the #20th smartest athletes on the Sporting News report that includes ALL athletes, college and pro combined. He is a Rhodes Scholar nominee and on the SEC Academic Honor Roll 4 years, as well as the Deans list and the Presidents list. He was also the 2010 Playboys Anson Mount award winner this year, as the Top Scholar-Athlete in the nation.

Researching through everything on him, the average arm strength is the only knock I can find on the guy. Everything else he does really well. To me, he is a Chad Pennington clone. And with no one noticing him so far, he may end up being a steal in the 5th/6th round of the draft.

edit to add: His Dad is a Senior Vice President of Sales & Marketing with the Dallas Cowboys, so Sparano likely has more familiarity with him than most HC.
thanks to jnewmant for the heads-up on that!

Couple things:

1. He's not lesser known; he's lesser valued. He played for Alabama.
2. Chad Pennington was a 1st RD draft pick, and he went to Marshall. If McElroy's only weakness was his arm strength, people would take notice.

We all have heard the arguments for and against Gabbert, Newton, Locker and Mallett. Some people believe there is a franchise Qb in that group, others don't want any of them.

I have been looking at some of the lesser known Qbs in this years draft, and one guy that keeps intriguing me is Greg McElroy, from Alabama. Watching tape of him, he reminds me of Chad Pennington in a lot of ways.

He is bigger than what I originally thought he was, at 6'3 and 225 lbs. He does not have the rocket arm but can make most of the throws on the field. He is a field general, has the attitude and confidence it takes to lead a team. He is tough, playing behind a patchwork O-Line this year that gave up 30 sacks this year and 18 sacks in 2009. He has awareness in the pocket but is not a real running threat Qb, usually stepping up or to the side while keeping his eyes down the field.

He goes through his progressions well, doesn't lock onto receivers, and reads defenses well. He was given the authority to call audibles by Saban after only his second career start as the 'Bama Qb.

He throws with touch, Julio Jones stated he throws the most "catchable" passes of anyone he has ever seen. He is smart with the ball, hangs in the pocket and doesn't force passes. He completed over 70% of his passes this season, had almost 3,000 yards passing, 20 TDs and only 5 interceptions while playing against the best defenses in college football week in and week out.

He is an extremely intelligent person as well, ranked the #20th smartest athletes on the Sporting News report that includes ALL athletes, college and pro combined. He is a Rhodes Scholar nominee and on the SEC Academic Honor Roll 4 years, as well as the Deans list and the Presidents list. He was also the 2010 Playboys Anson Mount award winner this year, as the Top Scholar-Athlete in the nation.

Researching through everything on him, the average arm strength is the only knock I can find on the guy. Everything else he does really well. To me, he is a Chad Pennington clone. And with no one noticing him so far, he may end up being a steal in the 5th/6th round of the draft.

Well thought out and written! I have zero idea if your right or wrong but atleast you put the effort into an intelligent thread that comes at us with a different perspective. He certsinly sounds like someone to look at in the later rounds along with TJ.Yates. Nice thread!

i'd take ponder over mcelroy in a heartbeat...no thanks on mcelroy

I hope the scouting department is taking a long look at mcelroy. Honestly I'm a bama fan so I'm a bit biased but I don't understand why he isn't getting much attention. The guy is smart, he can make all the throws, he comes from a pro style offense, and he wins games. You better believe at least sporano has an eye on him because mcelroys dad works for the cowboys.

BTW, the Fins dont need a Chad Pennington clone, they need a Peyton Manning clone. Can you find me one of those?
Chubbs

ps. well written.

McElroy had the benefit of having the more talented team with the better coaching than the opposing QB 100% of the games he played in at Bama. Put him in the Senior Bowl where the talent is equal, and you see a kid who just isn't that good.

there are a lot of QBs i wouldn't mind to bring in and see what they can do with a little coaching, but there is pretty much no one i would hang my future on. if you're getting lucky with one of those guys, great, but i wouldn't expect to hit on more than a back-up.

I love how over-rated Ponder is getting from an all-star game played with restrictive rules for the defense, where he didn't play a full game and got much better O-line play than the North QB's did who were running for their lives the whole game.

The pro's put very little stock on the game itself, with many not even sticking around for the game. It is the practices they are concerned with and by all accounts Kaepernick Blew Ponder and the rest of them away.

I saw nothing special about Ponder in this game, I did see some throws that were way short on long balls, that was a nice pass for the touchdown but it was also a great route by the receiver. When I've watched FSU in games this season I was not impressed with him there either.

Again people, for quarterbacks these games are much different, Pat White was MVP a few years ago...how did that work out for the Dolphins?

Couple things:

1. He's not lesser known; he's lesser valued. He played for Alabama.
2. Chad Pennington was a 1st RD draft pick, and he went to Marshall. If McElroy's only weakness was his arm strength, people would take notice.

Lesser discussed, let's put it that way.

Ok, so enlighten us, what are his other weaknesses? I have yet to find any knock on him other than he doesn't have a cannon on him.

McElroy had the benefit of having the more talented team with the better coaching than the opposing QB 100% of the games he played in at Bama. Put him in the Senior Bowl where the talent is equal, and you see a kid who just isn't that good.

Ok so lets just draft the best Qb from the Senior Bowl, shall we? Oh, wait we have already done that...

Whether McElroy has the better coach on the sideline is debateable and the differences are minute at best;, Florida had Urban Meyer opposite Saban, LSU has Les Miles who has a winning record against Saban, the coaching is all solid in the SEC. McElroy put up very solid numbers against SEC defenses who are coaches by some of the best coaches in the nation. He also done this in a Pro-Style offense, against some of the best defenses in the nation. Everyone in the SEC has talent on their teams as well, Alabama isn't the only one with top players, do a little research and look at how many players are drafted from SEC schools, it's a pretty even distribution of talent.

I love how over-rated Ponder is getting from an all-star game played with restrictive rules for the defense, where he didn't play a full game and got much better O-line play than the North QB's did who were running for their lives the whole game.

The pro's put very little stock on the game itself, with many not even sticking around for the game. It is the practices they are concerned with and by all accounts Kaepernick Blew Ponder and the rest of them away.

I saw nothing special about Ponder in this game, I did see some throws that were way short on long balls, that was a nice pass for the touchdown but it was also a great route by the receiver. When I've watched FSU in games this season I was not impressed with him there either.

Again people, for quarterbacks these games are much different, Pat White was MVP a few years ago...how did that work out for the Dolphins?

Ponder has one thing that seems to slip right past people, and that is intelligence. Ponder simply gets it. If he doesn't get a chance to start anywhere, he will be an asset as a backup.

i'd take ponder over mcelroy in a heartbeat...no thanks on mcelroy
Have to disagree here. Ponder just doesn't have it. Those senior bowl stats are going to make some people think ponder has something he doesn't.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

BTW, the Fins dont need a Chad Pennington clone, they need a Peyton Manning clone. Can you find me one of those?
Chubbs

ps. well written.

thanks!

The Manning clones are definetly what we need, unfortunately they are rarer than a pair of size 34 jeans in Tony Sparanos closet. I'm not projecting McElroy as a high draft pick, but I would prefer to draft McElroy in the 5th rather than draft Pat Devlin in the 3rd. To me, McElroy is the better Qb anyhow...

Have to disagree here. Ponder just doesn't have it. Those senior bowl stats are going to make some people think ponder has something he doesn't.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

i could care less about the stats...i like his decision making and his footwork and he does throw some balls with good anticipation...if you don't like him no sweat off my back...but i'm not talking using anything more than a mid level pick on him and thats only if his shoulder/arm issues were to check out

Back
Top Bottom