A Chad Pennington Clone.. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Chad Pennington Clone..

i could care less about the stats...i like his decision making and his footwork and he does throw some balls with good anticipation...if you don't like him no sweat off my back...but i'm not talking using anything more than a mid level pick on him and thats only if his shoulder/arm issues were to check out

Yeah that's kind of my whole point as well, personally I don't see any difference between Ponder and Devlin, so why waste a 1st or 3rd on Devlin when Ponder/McElroy is likely a better Qb anyhow?

Lesser discussed, let's put it that way.

Ok, so enlighten us, what are his other weaknesses? I have yet to find any knock on him other than he doesn't have a cannon on him.

The problem with McElroy is that he holds the football too long and takes unnecessary sacks.

GMAC will forever be a favorite son of the Crimson Tide faithful, just like Jay Barker is... McElroy is a winner and a leader. His intelligence and intangibles are FAR above any other quarterback prospect in this draft... and in most drafts.

His arm is very limited, he can't make the necessary longer throws in the NFL on a consistent basis. He'll make them every now and then, but only due to the timing being perfect. If he's late on some of those throws and tries to force it, it's going the other way in the NFL.

However, he won't do that. McElroy won't force it.

Which is why he has a tendancy to hold the football too long and take unneccesary sacks... I've seen it happen over and over again the past 2 years. The worst of which finally culminated against South Carolina this year when he was sacked 7 times...

He wouldn't get rid of the football...

What McElroy lacks other than NFL arm strength, is anticipation. He waits for a guy to come wide open before he'll deliver the ball.... if it's not there, he'll hold it too long and take sacks. He won't force it and turn the ball over, but you'll almost wish he would've taken a chance rather than see him eat his 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th sack.

Greg McElroy is the ultimate game manager... he can stick in the NFL as a backup if he learns to get rid of the football. Problem is, as Steve Young once said, "Everybody is open in college... Nobody is open in the NFL"....

If GMAC stands there waiting for receivers to come open in the NFL, he's going to be standing there an awful long time... and taking sacks.

I appreciate your post Jonathans, but I've seen McElroy play several times, and I just don't like him at all. He is nowhere near as talented as Pennington was coming out of school.

I'd put him in that Danny Kanell, Ken Dorsey, Danny Wuerffel zone. He may hang around 2-3 years, with someone giving him a shot for awhile. Eventually he may end up in coaching.

Watch him turn out to be Brady now.

I appreciate your post Jonathans, but I've seen McElroy play several times, and I just don't like him at all. He is nowhere near as talented as Pennington was coming out of school.

I'd put him in that Danny Kanell, Ken Dorsey, Danny Wuerffel zone. He may hang around 2-3 years, with someone giving him a shot for awhile. Eventually he may end up in coaching.

Watch him turn out to be Brady now.

Lol, don't it always turn out that way?!

Yeah, theres no doubt Pennington was much more polished coming out of college, and I know McElroy doesn't have a cannon. Yes, he does tend to hang onto the ball too long sometimes, but there were also a lot of those sacks where he had no chance to even get a throw off, Bamas O-Line was a revolving door. I was at the LSU/Bama game, we sacked him 3 times and could have had 4-5 more, they couldn't block us.

I like McElroy as much as any of the other Qbs in this draft, and being that he will likely be there in the later rounds, I would feel better drafting him in the later rounds rather than spend a first rounder on one of the 4 who all have questions about their game. just my opinion..

i'd take ponder over mcelroy in a heartbeat...no thanks on mcelroy

Agreed, if you want a Pennington clone Ponder is the guy, but with more mobility and if he can get his arm healed a slightly better arm than Penny. Even with a bad wing he has a strnger arm than McElroy.

Back
Top Bottom