A Cool Thanksgiving Memory | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Cool Thanksgiving Memory

I was watching some old VHS Tapes and we have Thanksgiving of 1993 on tape with our family. I see the TV in the background and can hear Summeral and Madden calling the game. Our whole family is sitting there watching it. I was 8 at the time, miss the 90s. The 90s had amazing Sports memories from Farve, Marino, Kelly, Aikman, Montana and Young. It also had amazing music, movies, toys and everything else. Michael Jordan was all you heard about in the 90s.

I remember the Tgiving snow game partying on a boat in the Ventura Keys. Should say i remember most of that game. My fondest memory of Tgiving was Griese throwing for 6 TDs vs the Cardinals in 1977. I was 11

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OhnLPc3XbrY&ved=2ahUKEwiA2fjB8ubeAhVrGDQIHcIoDYQQwqsBMAN6BAgJEBI&usg=AOvVaw3rYxWkiMkbT5n-wJywsYNi

That was perhaps the most unexpected dominant Dolphins win ever. We started the season well but then hit an offensive lull for more than a month, never scoring more than 17 points. I remembered Griese had a miserable game the week prior but when I looked up the specifics it was even worse than I thought -- 10 for 29 for 113 yards and 3 interceptions in a loss at Cincinnati. Granted, those numbers need to be judged by 1977 standards, rules, and style of play, not the 2018 versions, but still lousy.

Four days later the Dolphins were an underdog at St. Louis, which had won 6 in a row. From memory the spread was something like Cardinals -4.5 points. Jim Hart was a very good quarterback and still in his late prime. Terry Metcalf was a dangerous feared scat back and kick returner. Everything pointed to a St. Louis win.

I remember Howard Cosell on his taped radio segment broadcast on Wednesday wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and sounding almost deflated at the Dolphins chances in that game. Cosell was a big Shula fan so it transferred into liking the Dolphins in that era. When previewing the Thanksgiving games for the following day, Cosell basically sighed and said, "The Dolphins don't figure to beat the Cardinals."

Then somehow it turned into an offensive explosion in our favor. Everyone locally was more stunned than excited.

Someday. This team wont be an afterthought. It will be competitive. It will be relevant. Someday, luck will return to the Dolphins. The team will consistently draft well. It will have a QB. It will make plays at crucial moments in huge games, that will create great memories. It will sack up for the biggest games. It won't always break its fanbase heart.

Been a fan a long time......but that Leon Lett play and what happened afterwards will always be one of my favorite Thanksgiving memories. Pat Summeral was awesome to hear call a game along with John Madden.

Oddly, in terms of memories....I also seem to always remember that Miller Lite commercial from the late 70's ( I think)….the one where the guy is trying to guess Nick Buoniconti's name as a member of the no name defense......It will just randomly pop into my head from time to time while watching a game. LOL....perhaps that is why I still drink Miller Lite to this day.

Of course I remember. I was watching the game with my dad (RIP) and a friend of mine. I just couldn't believe it at first but it was a great feeling.

My wife’s family found out on that day how nuts I was, father in law wanted me go to grandads nursing home with three minutes left in the game....gtfoh...I stood my ground. I also remember beating Dallas in 73 on turkey day, wish I could find that game

Three minutes left. What is he, a communist or something? :lol:

Seriously though, unless it was an emergency, granddad can wait a few minutes.

Watched the game at my future father-in-law's (R.I.P.) house, who, while a huge sports fan, was far more a man of tradition, religion, and family. He turned the game off on us, I cant quite recall which quarter, probably second. - That's right, he marched right in and turned the TV off while we were all watching the game. (He wasnt a Dolphin fan)

I sat there dumbfounded. My wife's brothers are also tremendous sports fans, so I let them do the arguing, which was short lived and resulted in us all moving into the dining room.

That ENTIRE Thanksgiving dinner all I could do is think about what just happened, with my future wife throwing daggers my way, knowing full well I was biting my lip in agony.

Never ate so fast, never cleaned dishes so fast, never had so little interest in small talk at the table....

Well, we did manage to catch the end of the game, the leon lett play, and all the snow!!! But we laugh about what happened every single year.

Now that Thanksgiving's are usually in my house I never have to worry about that happening again!

Edit: Oh yeah, and I forgot: Have a Happy Thanksgiving All !!!! We can't lose today!!!!

Last edited:
This is what I remember, we didn't win anther game that season, and the Cowboys didn't lose another game that season, winning the Super Bowl. I am reminded of this, because my brother is a cowboys fan, and I am sure will let me know again today at dinner.

Been a fan a long time......but that Leon Lett play and what happened afterwards will always be one of my favorite Thanksgiving memories. Pat Summeral was awesome to hear call a game along with John Madden.

Oddly, in terms of memories....I also seem to always remember that Miller Lite commercial from the late 70's ( I think)….the one where the guy is trying to guess Nick Buoniconti's name as a member of the no name defense......It will just randomly pop into my head from time to time while watching a game. LOL....perhaps that is why I still drink Miller Lite to this day.
It wasn’t Summerall and Madden though, it was Dick Enberg and Merlin Olson. The game was on NBC.

Back
Top Bottom