A little insight into Saban & discipline | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A little insight into Saban & discipline

I will admit, the Bills fans have a point. However even if we dont come out with a winning record this season(I find it doubtfull), we would have shown progression and gotten team chemistry going. That should keep the players motivated.

Yankee, there is a big differance between a players coach and Dave Wannstedt. A good example of players coach is Jim Mora Jr.

There is a difference between "boot camp" coaches and disciplinarians... Some of the Dolphins players (Zach, Jason, Sam) have already said, he'll get in your face if you've missed your assignment, but it's more in a teaching session than yelling..That's the difference, if a coach is screaming at you to berate you and just because he can, players will NOT respond, but, if he's teaching you and correcting you and that is his motivation for his outburst, then players will respond. Nick is disciplines in his system and scheme's... he's not a be here at 9:45 for a 10:00 meeting kinda guy...Jason said it himself, there is a rhyme and reason for everything Coach Saban does.. That's the difference between a teacher/motivator discipline guy, and a Drill Instructor discipline guy.. To a man, each player has had nothing but good things to say about Coach Saban. Sure, you can argue, "what else are they gonna say"... but trust me, any Dolphins fans that know Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas, know they speak their minds... whether it's what you want to hear or not..

PassRush said:
I interprited Sabans style a bit differantly. I see it as whatever a players past may hold, if the player can help the team win games it does not matter. However if they are involved in any wrong doing while on his team they are gone; or at least in for some gassers or scoutteam work

Agree. He doesnt seem to care what u did before u came to Miami, or before he was here (Ricky), but u mess around after he picks u up, see ya. I dont have a problem with giving people second chances but you have to dump them when they embarrass your franchise.

tom couphlin (sp.?) has to be one of the biggest a-holes on the planet, coach or no coach. seriously, he's the kind of person you ask yourself, "how does he keep a job, a wife, friends... have his children disowned HIM yet?" serious control issues. last year he fined a player for showing up like 5 or 10 minutes EARLY to a meeting. unbelievable.

i live near jacksonville but grew up in miami. i'm a die-hard 'fins fan, so though i've been here in southern georgia (a.k.a. poopy hole of the south) for a while, i've never been able to warm up to the jags. even after couphlin left (was fired), the sour taste in my mouth is still there and it taints the entire jaguars organization. couphlin was, and is, a cancer. if they didn't deserve it so, i'd pity the fans in nyc.

but you know what? F couphlin. this is a dolphins site! no, sorry... this is THE dolphins site. so more to the point here...

saban... is not couphlin. saban will get it done without having everyone hate him or getting himself run out of town.

BillsChamps2oo5 said:
I just remember getting all excited because Gregg Williams was this disciplinarian. I thougt thats all our team needed was some discipline. Williams came out making players run laps for messing up. He ran training camp like a boot camp. It was ok that training camp, but the team didnt win, and guess what, next year there were no laps and Bills training camp was like disney land.

Coach Coughlin is a guy that better win quick, or those players wont stand for his style anymore. As soon as he started losing in Jacksonville, they got him fired.

Disciplinarian's have gone out of style. Now you need a players coach. A guy that can relate to his players.

WIn and Disciplinarian's are God's, lose and they are the Devil.

I agree about those types of disciplinarians, but that's not Saban's style at all. He does not run boot camp style camps. The Dolphins will actually have easier camps (physically) than they did under Wanny. Saban is all about smart play, perfect practice and accountability. Your example does not reflect Saban's style at all.

T.K.O. said:
Disciplining in the NFL is a little more tricky than in college.

In college the coach has absolute authority. In the NFL he doesn't. Most of these players make more than he does and w/ this comes an attitude. Saben can rule w/ an Iron fist now but it will only go so far. If he treats them like college kids there just going to ignore him and think hes a joke. If there winning there won't be a problem but if there losing your going to see a revolt. Guys like Parcells can get away w/ it b/c they have a winning track record and players are just going to do what he says because he has been so successful

I believe this is the hardest part for a college coach to get used to, that the players have alot more power in the NFL.

First, It's spelled Saban not Saben -- If you knew anything about him, not just college players and coaches, but professional players and coaches already respect the man and he hasn't even HEAD coached a game.

Second, He makes more than most of the players on the team.

Third - Power is what you make it -- anyone that has followed his career ( I'm a LSU fan) he's always in power.. You'll see by the end of the year.

Fourth, I think Parcells knew that LT was lining it up (the white stuff) and I believe that he has let a few on the edge people go..... It took him 2 weeks to get rid of the wide receiver that threw the jersey at him last year -- I can promise you one thing, if anyone, including Jason Taylor, takes off his jersey and throws it at him, he'll be gone that second.

Fifth, Again, it's Saban not Saben -- Or maybe I can call Losman - "Lostagainman"

rafael said:
I agree about those types of disciplinarians, but that's not Saban's style at all. He does not run boot camp style camps. The Dolphins will actually have easier camps (physically) than they did under Wanny. Saban is all about smart play, perfect practice and accountability. Your example does not reflect Saban's style at all.

We will see.

Saban seems like a my way or the highway type of guy. I like him. He knows his stuff, but even Belichek took more than one chance to get it right. NE wasnt his first Head coaching job.

BillsChamps2oo5 said:
Saban is a coach where he will either be boom or bust. Players in the NFL only like a disciplinarian at Head coach if they win.

I will predict right here and now, that he will have more success than Mularkey.

DolphinTiger said:
First, It's spelled Saban not Saben -- If you knew anything about him, not just college players and coaches, but professional players and coaches already respect the man and he hasn't even HEAD coached a game.

Second, He makes more than most of the players on the team.

Third - Power is what you make it -- anyone that has followed his career ( I'm a LSU fan) he's always in power.. You'll see by the end of the year.

Fourth, I think Parcells knew that LT was lining it up (the white stuff) and I believe that he has let a few on the edge people go..... It took him 2 weeks to get rid of the wide receiver that threw the jersey at him last year -- I can promise you one thing, if anyone, including Jason Taylor, takes off his jersey and throws it at him, he'll be gone that second.

Fifth, Again, it's Saban not Saben -- Or maybe I can call Losman - "Lostagainman"

There is only ONE thing you need to know. If Chambers, Taylor, Thomas, and McMichael all go to your owner and say were not playing for him hes a moron, guess what? Those 4 are not the ones going, its Saben.

Big deal about players and coaches respecting him already. The same things were said about B.Davis and S.Spurrier.

By the way just b/c I misspelled his name doesn't mean I don't know anything about him, get a clue

T.K.O. said:
There is only ONE thing you need to know. If Chambers, Taylor, Thomas, and McMichael all go to your owner and say were not playing for him hes a moron, guess what? Those 4 are not the ones going, its Saben.

Big deal about players and coaches respecting him already. The same things were said about B.Davis and S.Spurrier.

By the way just b/c I misspelled his name doesn't mean I don't know anything about him, get a clue

I got in here late on this one, but you are wrong on the first statement...I have been watching the NFL for nearly 35 years, and never has a coach been fired because a few players didn't like him...If these guys went to Wayne, being the type of owner he is...he'd refer them back to Saban...I'm not arguing whether you know anything about Saban or not, just commenting on the statement about player revolts...

T.K.O. said:

1. it´s Saban

I 2. that

I Hate The Bills And They Will Suffer For Getting Rid Of Bledsoe!!

Back
Top Bottom