A little Qb School report from today. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A little Qb School report from today.

Ozzy

Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a chance to get away from work for a couple of hours, so off I went to today's Qb school. Fifty some odd miles later, I arrived. :)

First off let me give out my Surgeon General's warning. These Qb schools, and mini camps are basically done in underwear, not a stitch of padding, so be warned that these reports mean nothing except to give us all an idea of whom we might keep an eye on when the pads come on.

Today it was very boring, lots of stretching and individual drills. So this report will be a short one.

Probably the best thing about today was seeing LG Jamie Nails running, and doing lots of drills on his footwork. He working with the midget tandem of Madison, and Surtain, Marion also was with them. Nails kept right up with them and looked very very good. Actually he was hitting the sides of the square pads far less than any of the other three. That is until it came to the cross over, side to side drill. He just kept running straight drawing a chuckle from Madison, who made sure he was far enough away when he laughed. Seriously though, Nails looks IMO right on track for Sept...

Lets start on the two Qb's.

The two Qb fodder's could not attend.

I really do love what Jay Fiedler brings to the table, his toughness, his work ethic, he also knows this offense rather well. But dangit all, I wish he could hit the long balls more consistently. He threw four balls of over 30 yards, and over threw three of them terribly, and the one he completed was underthrown just enough to make it a tackle after the catch, on what woulda been a Td otherwise. Heck all four were possible TD's. There are two types of passes I think he has trouble with, the one I just mentioned and the quick out pass. I really think the long ball is more mental than anything else. His mechanics are good, and I'm noticing that his movement in the pocket is also improving. He was making quick adjustments to avoid the rush, while at the same time, making his movements part of his steps to begin his throwing motion. The Quick outs are passes that I hate so much. So I'm not going to be bashing Jay about it too much. I don't think many of today's NFL Qb's make that throw without people cringing. However, after all that I just spit out, Jay was throwing the 10-25 yard passes all over the place, and he was putting them on the money. He also hit the Rb's out of the backfield almost everytime, right in front of them, all in stride.

Now as for Sage, he is one that puts that long ball on the money a lot. His throws are also very easy to catch. He throws a very good spiral. But let me not fool everyone, he was off the mark more than a few times on timing patterns, but I just think he is a good project for Miami at this time. He, with lots of work, could have a future with the NFL. IMO of course.

I can make some quick reports of the Wr's.

James McKnight is working his tail off, as a matter of fact the whole core of Receivers are. Mac was all over on his routes today, and caught everything thrown his way. I'm hoping the drops, which are really not that many, are behind him. The drops are just at crucial times, so we notice them ten fold.

Chris Chambers got in more action today than I've see from him yet. It seems he has been cleared to start practicing full time now, and that's great. He was running some really crisp routes and made one really nice catch on the sidelines. Circus Chambers ......

McMicheal was working good over the middle today, and he was the one that Jay underthrew for what would have been a Td. Or at least it arguably could have been a Td.

Margin Hooks got a few balls thrown his way today, and was open a lot. He very well could be the Dolphins next representative to star in NFLE. Reason I say this is I think he still needs lots of work. He caught some nice sideline passes today, but dropped two that were right too him.

Now Darrius Thompson. This guy has some pretty good speed, he was in on all three of the overthrown balls, and every one of them he was 4-5 yards ahead of the defender/s, one time T-Buck was covering, and one other it was Fletcher, and then, Freeman. his routes are very good, and he seems to have some breakaway speed. I'm liking him more and more, with the pads off anyway

And of course lets not forget that the teams two best defenders are not taking part in any on the field action. So we may have different results when they line up.

This defense has an attitude I've never seen before. I think what I'm seeing is them being much more vocal with each other, and it's not yelling. It's more like they're coming together more as a team, and are always congratulating each other. One thing that I've noticed at all practices so far is Seau pointing things out to Greenwood, like where he should have been, and which spot he should have attacked. I take this as one of two things, it's either some nice encouragement, or Greenwood needs lots of work. I'll go with the first assumption ...... for now ! He does seem game though.

I'm going to mention two players on defense that have got my attention more than a few times on the three days of camps I've attended.

The first is #50 Brendon Ayanbadejo, this kid is built, and though he is slightly underweight, he is rock solid, with huge arms. He is a pretty fast Lb and has good lateral movement along the line of scrimmage. I've noticed with him that he seems to have a knack for the ball. He almost took one back for a Td today, had he caught it. He made a great read on the Qb's eyes. I think it was Sage. But the ball had some mustard on it, and he just could not bring it in.

The other kid is Safety Alphonso Roundtree. He is a little smallish at Safety but again he seems to be around the ball more often than not.

Five days into camp means didly squat, but you never know, these two could be good candidates for the PS.

Now a couple of mentions on the O-line and I'm done.

I'm not sure, maybe they have this kids number mixed up or maybe he was allowed to attend camp because he is already done with school. But I think Provost, which is our drafted rookie, was in attendance. Anyway, I noticed him on Sat. and wanted to say that this kid is pretty darn big. He is listed at 6'5" 301. And I think most of it is in his arms, and probably his head. But what I see is them maybe putting him in training too be a RT. He did nothing to impress me but I do know that someone's contract is up after this year. Meaning Wade.

Heres another name, Jarvis Borum. This guy is a freaking monster! 6 foot 7 listed at 356 pounds. Well, so far from what I've seen he is way way too slow off the ball. But I was intrigued by his size, and I looked up a profile on him. Playing at NC St. he gave up 5 sacks in his first season starting, and only two his final season. Although he did not have much football experience before college. He seemed to do rather well. But the one thing I noticed in his profile was that they noted him to have much improved there by bringing his weight down to the 325 range. Which would explain plenty to me as to why I'm calling him so slow. Then again I might be wrong because he has been in the NFL for two years, and has only been in one game, and was also cut. Fodder maybe, but intriguing to me. If the cuts were to happen today though, he would be on my first list.

Well, I told you people this might be a little boring. But hey, it's still info.

Again let me remind all, that this is still work done in their under roos so lets keep things in perspective.

Hope everyone enjoys reading as much as I do watching.

"So this report will be a short one."
Are you sure there my friend?? :lol::huh:
Excellent evaluation of what you saw, thanks for the info.

HOORAH:drinker:

Originally posted by RUDEAWAKERZ2354
"So this report will be a short one."
Are you sure there my friend?? :lol::huh:
Excellent evaluation of what you saw, thanks for the info.

HOORAH:drinker:

Well the what I saws from today were short.......

But I do like to explain myself as to why, and that takes a bit. But when the pads come on I'm known to make these things a couple of pages.

:D

Thanks Ozzy! Glad to see CC back in action! :up:

was this your "short" update? (LOL)

This was great. Will you (or anyone else) be there tomorrow? I am planning on going and being there at around 10:15.

Originally posted by underwaterjedi
was this your "short" update? (LOL)

This was great. Will you (or anyone else) be there tomorrow? I am planning on going and being there at around 10:15.

Well, if you really look at it, I only gave a mention of 14 players. :D

As for tomorrow, I'm afraid I won't make it. I must get some work done, and besides that, I'm really looking foward to when the Rookies get in camp.

Have fun though, and look out for the Pro Shop. I know every time I go to that place I spend nearly a C - note.

Today I got a aqua and blue #34 and a perfectly matching cap. At first I did not like the mix of colors but after looking at it for the 10th time, It grew on me. :)

Originally posted by Ozzy

But dangit all, I wish he could hit the long balls more consistently.

That's one area that he really struggles at. If I could change/improve one thing about Jay, that would be it. His arm isn't the strongest. But it doesn't have to be to throw an accurate deep pass. It's just a question of timing/judgement. Sometimes he puts too much arc on it when he should throw it more on a rope. And other times he severely underthrows it....as if he's badly misjudging his WRs speed. And it's unfortunate because our WRs can really get open deep.

He's not totally inadequate, as we've seen him hit a deep man in stride in a game. But more often than not, he misses and the WR either can't get there or has to slow down/stop to catch the ball. And because he doesn't have that big gun, it's something he really must work and improve upon this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if the timing on the deep pass is the hardest thing to get down then it only stands to reason that the timing would be off at this point....they have a long time to work on it before the season starts.

Thanks for the update but I do not know what is better...your report or RUDE's SIG...I just love seeing the beautiful Pro Player Stadium Sold Out.

Back
Top Bottom