A look at my top WRs for next year | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A look at my top WRs for next year

MiamiDolphin618

Practice Squad
Reaction score
This next draft is pretty deep at some positions we need help at. Legadu and Chad are our starting WRs at the moment...not only is that not a good thing but they are also both on 1 year deals. We need to pony up and look at getting Tannehill someone to develop with..or a couple. Here is my preliminary list of WRs

1. Keenan Allen - Cal
2. Marquess Wilson - Wash St.
3. Robert Woods - USC
4. Andre Debose - Florida
5. Justin Hunter - Tenn
6. Da'Rick Rodgers - Tenn
7. Stedman Bailey - WV
8. Tavon Austin - WV
9. Ryan Swope - Texas AM
10. Kenny Stills - Oklahoma

These are my top 10 guys...before the season. Im sure there are some under the radar guys but this list is pretty much higher profile guys that I know about because Ive seen them play. Most of these guys are only juniors so they may or may not come out. Id say the top 3 on this list are all first rounders..and then after that its anyone's guess. What do you guys think of this list and what does yours look like??

If he can stay healthy, I think Justin Hunter will battle Keenan Allen to be the first wide receiver drafted. I really like both players a lot and will keep an eye on wide receivers coming out in 2013 as this looks like a big need area for Miami. I still think, in the base case scenario, that the Dolphins can find a good wide receiver in free agency and then concentrate on adding pass rushers and secondary help in the early rounds of the draft.

If he can stay healthy, I think Justin Hunter will battle Keenan Allen to be the first wide receiver drafted. I really like both players a lot and will keep an eye on wide receivers coming out in 2013 as this looks like a big need area for Miami. I still think, in the base case scenario, that the Dolphins can find a good wide receiver in free agency and then concentrate on adding pass rushers and secondary help in the early rounds of the draft.
I like Hunter a lot...but thats why I have him down a bit is because of the injury concerns. I do agree pass rusher is a huge need and there are some studs in this class...as for the secondary I think I would rather add a vet to the secondary and get Tanny and young guy to grow with. Depending on where we pick, who's on the board, etc..I think a pass rusher and a WR have to be might high on the list

I like Hunter a lot...but thats why I have him down a bit is because of the injury concerns. I do agree pass rusher is a huge need and there are some studs in this class...as for the secondary I think I would rather add a vet to the secondary and get Tanny and young guy to grow with. Depending on where we pick, who's on the board, etc..I think a pass rusher and a WR have to be might high on the list
That makes a lot of sense. Pass rusher, wide receiver and safety look to be the biggest areas of need heading into the season. Could also be corner if Vontae Davis and Sean Smith don't take their games to the next level. But, I'd definitely love to have a player like Keenan Allen and give Ryan Tannehill a potential game changer at wide receiver. I kind of think the Dolphins would go pass rusher and then target a wide receiver or safety in rounds 2 and 3. Of course, we have picks to trade up so maybe we could get a stud wr and pass rusher.

Exactly. Lots of needs...but the way I see it this franchise is going nowhere without Tanny playing at a high level. You can keep drafting defensive players all day but unless this unit becomes extraordinarily elite...we still won't win a SB. Not saying we should ignore the D...obviously Id love another top notch pass rusher...a ball hawking safety..and a lock down corner. BUT..I think getting Tannehill weapons is far more important to his development..which in turn is far more important to this franchise. Hell...I would love to get our hands on Wallace or Bowe AND get a Keenan Allen. Give this kid all the weapons we can. Then get a pass rusher and safety in the 2nd and 3rd. Obviously this is super early because maybe some guys step up...Im just going off of how I feel right now

Exactly. Lots of needs...but the way I see it this franchise is going nowhere without Tanny playing at a high level. You can keep drafting defensive players all day but unless this unit becomes extraordinarily elite...we still won't win a SB. Not saying we should ignore the D...obviously Id love another top notch pass rusher...a ball hawking safety..and a lock down corner. BUT..I think getting Tannehill weapons is far more important to his development..which in turn is far more important to this franchise. Hell...I would love to get our hands on Wallace or Bowe AND get a Keenan Allen. Give this kid all the weapons we can. Then get a pass rusher and safety in the 2nd and 3rd. Obviously this is super early because maybe some guys step up...Im just going off of how I feel right now
Yeah, right now wide receiver looks pretty bleak for Miami. Could change, but likely even if one guy like Roberto Wallace emerges we could still use another top guy. I definitely hear you. I might wait on secondary help a little longer and make sure we get a pass rusher and wide receiver. I see this as the draft to take advantage of all the potential pass rush talent coming out. We have no chance against the Tom Brady's of the world if we can't pressure him constantly. I'm very curious to see how Olivier Vernon plays this season. Who are the top wr's who you think make it to round 2?

I hope Vernon shows well..but Im certainly for getting more pass rushers...you can never have enough. As for the wideouts..its early but I think Allen, Wilson, and Woods are all locks to go in Rd 1 barring something unforeseen. I think if Hunter stays healthy he probably goes in the 1st..but he could be a 2nd rounder. Rodgers, Debose, and Bailey I think would all be present good value in the 2nd round. Debose is a speedy deep threat..legit 4.3 guy who would open a lot up. Rodgers is a big bodied guy who I think can be an impact player at the next level. But I think Bailey might be the best fit...crisp route runner...fluid..speed to beat you deep too. I like Swope a lot..obviously he has the chemistry with Tanny already..but I think his production will drop this year and he might be a 3rd round guy...we will see.

I hope Vernon shows well..but Im certainly for getting more pass rushers...you can never have enough. As for the wideouts..its early but I think Allen, Wilson, and Woods are all locks to go in Rd 1 barring something unforeseen. I think if Hunter stays healthy he probably goes in the 1st..but he could be a 2nd rounder. Rodgers, Debose, and Bailey I think would all be present good value in the 2nd round. Debose is a speedy deep threat..legit 4.3 guy who would open a lot up. Rodgers is a big bodied guy who I think can be an impact player at the next level. But I think Bailey might be the best fit...crisp route runner...fluid..speed to beat you deep too. I like Swope a lot..obviously he has the chemistry with Tanny already..but I think his production will drop this year and he might be a 3rd round guy...we will see.
Could be some nice talent there in round 2. Honestly, that's where I see Miami taking a wide receiver. It's hard for me to imagine this regime taking one in the first, but then again we all said that about quarterback. If Hunter is there in the second that could be a great pick. A pass rusher in the first, Hunter in round 2 and then concentrate on the secondary. That said, how excited would you be if the Dolphins took Allen and Hunter?

Could be some nice talent there in round 2. Honestly, that's where I see Miami taking a wide receiver. It's hard for me to imagine this regime taking one in the first, but then again we all said that about quarterback. If Hunter is there in the second that could be a great pick. A pass rusher in the first, Hunter in round 2 and then concentrate on the secondary. That said, how excited would you be if the Dolphins took Allen and Hunter?
There will be some serious talent at the DE position in this draft no doubt...and if you are staring a guy like Mingo or Werner in the face then thats hard to pass up...but I don't think we will be that bad this year.

Allen and Hunter would be amazing...but again I don't think we will be that bad. I think Allen is a top 10 pick probably. I would certainly not be against going WR in the first 2 rounds if they are the BPA or close to it. Like i said earlier...the success of this franchise is going to rely on Tannehill. He needs weapons...and Brian Hartline and Legadu are not going to cut it. Id like to hope someone like Wallace could step up..but the odds are against it. Look at what the Colts did...they have Wayne and Collie..and added Fleener, Allen, and Hilton. Redskins added Garcon and already have Moss and Hankerson.

I'm an optimist, but I can easily see this team going 5-11. I think the team is heading in the right direction and I love the defensive line, which is probably top 5 in the NFL. But there are so many question marks, new philosophies on both sides of the ball, so many young players starting for the first time or playing key roles. In other words, I think Miami could be in a position to draft top 5 with Mingo, Werner, Allen, and Reed among the choices. I do agree that Allen looks like a top 10 in the early stages. I am by no means a draft expert, but when you look at guys like Floyd and Blackmon from last year I think Allen is comparable talent-wise.

Im not as high on Reid as most...solid player but he is no Eric Berry IMO. Im curious to see what type of year Werner has and where his draft stock lies. I see a great player...but he is still somewhat flying under the radar as far as being a top 10 guy. Mingo...that kid is going top 10..probably top 5 just based off his tools alone. I like Allen more than both Floyd and Blackmon honestly...

I haven't seen enough of Reid to make a real evaluation, but he's one player I definitely want to watch this year. Those LSU vs. Alabama games are must see for sure. That's high praise for Allen, but I can see why you feel that way. He has the ability to make those great plays that only the best do. As an aside, but related, I was watching America's Game yesterday about the 1975 Steelers and they were showing some of the amazing catches Lynn Swann made in the super bowl vs. Dallas. One of the Steelers seconday guys was quoted as saying (paraphrasing here) that it was a good thing Swann had such a great game because Dallas was that good. In other words, you take those plays away and the Cowboys win. You need those types of players and right now, besides Bush, I don't see anyone with that game changing ability on offense.

This next draft is pretty deep at some positions we need help at. Legadu and Chad are our starting WRs at the moment...not only is that not a good thing but they are also both on 1 year deals. We need to pony up and look at getting Tannehill someone to develop with..or a couple. Here is my preliminary list of WRs

1. Keenan Allen - Cal
2. Marquess Wilson - Wash St.
3. Robert Woods - USC
4. Andre Debose - Florida
5. Justin Hunter - Tenn
6. Da'Rick Rodgers - Tenn
7. Stedman Bailey - WV
8. Tavon Austin - WV
9. Ryan Swope - Texas AM
10. Kenny Stills - Oklahoma

These are my top 10 guys...before the season. Im sure there are some under the radar guys but this list is pretty much higher profile guys that I know about because Ive seen them play. Most of these guys are only juniors so they may or may not come out. Id say the top 3 on this list are all first rounders..and then after that its anyone's guess. What do you guys think of this list and what does yours look like??

You're probably the only person aside from myself that has Keenan Allen and Marquess Wilson as #1 and #2.

You're probably the only person aside from myself that has Keenan Allen and Marquess Wilson as #1 and #2.
Well maybe right now...but I feel pretty confident that it won't be too long before a lot more people have Allen and Wilson at the top of their board. Lots of people overrate Woods a bit I think...which I think he's a fine receiver...just isn't quite as complete or well rounded as Allen and Wilson IMO.

Back
Top Bottom